2023 NFL Draft

Crimmage

6 minutes ago, mission27 said:

I'm not saying everything is perfect but lets give this offense time with a real OC to see what we've got. 

I will do that however IMO it's difficult without weapons in today's game.  and that why my frustration takes over.  Oh by the way the Pats must of hired a WR coach, they just took two with a lot of promise!!!!!! The LSU kid has 1st RD talent,( if I recall) with a 7th rd head.  😁🤣

8 minutes ago, mission27 said:

In the meantime I'd rather see Bill doing what he does best, bringing in youth/depth on defense and the o-line, rather than trying to solve the worlds problems drafting a WR who is more than likely going to bust.

I would like to see a plan for the future, like he's doing with there OG however work more on their weaknesses. OT,WR and TE.  That's a long term play for him and the next coach.

• Like 1

I like the wr douglas and punter barringer from michigan. worth a flier on boutte from lsu but like it if they take a flier on bryce ford-wheaton or jalen moreno-cropper too. not a boutte fan really i think he is too limited athletically but its the sixth round so why not

MICHIGAN STATE FAN HERE WITH MY THOUGHTS…

maybe these new age GM’s and scouts that are so analytical are trying to here than we thought and check out maybe even a form like this. Lol kidding

but After yearning for Pierre Strong Junior last year, and now, Baringer and Speed, I think my posts/voice are being heard 😉 😂 jk

but then Ryland and Sow.. seems Michigan as a state was favored heavy for prospects this year 🤔 

now, my main point for this post…

Michigan State, DB Ameer Speed

Listen to me… do NOT get your hopes up

this is strictly throwing a dart due to his size and speed which we would’ve been better off using that strategy on MSU LB Ben VanSumeren 
Speed did not perform very well and I’ll simply leave it at that…

5 minutes ago, DaPatsKid98 said:

MICHIGAN STATE FAN HERE WITH MY THOUGHTS…

maybe these new age GM’s and scouts that are so analytical are trying to here than we thought and check out maybe even a form like this. Lol kidding

but After yearning for Pierre Strong Junior last year, and now, Baringer and Speed, I think my posts/voice are being heard 😉 😂 jk

but then Ryland and Sow.. seems Michigan as a state was favored heavy for prospects this year 🤔 

now, my main point for this post…

Michigan State, DB Ameer Speed

Listen to me… do NOT get your hopes up

this is strictly throwing a dart due to his size and speed which we would’ve been better off using that strategy on MSU LB Ben VanSumeren 
Speed did not perform very well and I’ll simply leave it at that…

Could he play today's NFL safety with coaching.  Basically S/LB. Dugger  or Peppers type.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, m haynes said:

Could he play today's NFL safety with coaching.  Basically S/LB. Dugger  or Peppers type.

He’s played more special teams snaps than he has played defensive snaps in his career. It was tough for him to see the field at Georgia.. he transferred to MSU. We had him (Georgia), Kimborough (Florida) and Williams (Alabama)

It was still somehow one of the worst secondaries in football; just a season after it didn’t appear it could get any worse.

I have hopes he can develop into a good player. But he isn’t as physical as you’d want a 6’3” CB to be. And maybe it’s on him not being able to learn through playing more defensive snaps, but he got cooked just about every dang snap…

I think he’s solely on the team for special teams snaps. He can and will play on every unit. I think that’s the most optimistic we should get with Ameer Speed

• Like 1

I wanted a WR like everybody else did, but I think it’s important to keep in mind that most people considered this a weak WR class, even at the top. JSN/Flowers/Addison got some love in the draft process, but no one was confusing them with the past years’ WRs (as prospects). I’m sure there’ll be mid round guys that end up being good players, but it’s unlikely (in NE’s case) that they’d come in and supplant Parker/JJSS/Bourne/Thornton out the gate like that.

Not excusing it (especially passing some guys for 3 IOL and 2 kickers), but just trying to wrap my head around it. 

2 hours ago, Soko said:

considered this a weak WR class

I don't buy into this, even if its a so call weak class. That's what your scouts are for, find the next NFL WR.

2 hours ago, Soko said:

they’d come in and supplant Parker/JJSS/Bourne/Thornton out the gate like that.

You can take that (supplant) to the OGs  just picked and the LB.  IMO you don't worry about that when you draft.   I look at the list you mentioned and that group will do little to move the needle. Its the future IMO that they should care about. I'm hoping that both WR picked kill it in preseason or show major potential to force BB to make changes with the current group.

Here my problem with this group. Only one with future talent, Thornton.

Parker is not reliable. He will get hurt somewhere during the season.  Give me some Booty!!!!

JJSS   If he didn't sign with the Pats fans would say he stinks. He only played well with A Brown. Lucky he got a job with KC they needed a body. His numbers came from Mahomes just like TB did for our WRs over the years.

Bourne   I like however he's gone if one of the two rookies have a heart beat!!!

Thornton runs a 4.2 however so far he plays at 4.6.  He has to show this year a vast improvement or I would say he's just another BB WR mistake. He will be easy to evaluate. I'm talking the mental part because if he get that, watch out. We all will know by the start of the  2023 season.

Edited by m haynes

12 minutes ago, m haynes said:

I don't buy into this, even if its a so call weak class. That's what your scouts are for, find the next NFL WR.

Not my opinion, just what I’ve heard most say. I didn’t watch much CFB this year or last, so not for me to comment on. Most weren’t calling this class particularly deep or strong at the top.

12 minutes ago, m haynes said:

You can take that (supplant) to the OGs  just picked and the LB.  IMO you don't worry about that when you draft.   I look at the list you mentioned and that group will do little to move the needle. Its the future IMO that they should care about. I'm hoping that both WR picked kill it in preseason or show major potential to force BB to make changes with the current group.

Here my problem with this group. Only one with future talent, Thornton.

Parker is not reliable. He will get hurt somewhere during the season.  Give me some Booty!!!!

JJSS   If he didn't sign with the Pats fans would say he stinks. He only played well with A Brown. Lucky he got a job with KC they needed a body. His numbers came from Mahomes just like TB did for our WRs over the years.

Bourne   I like however he's gone if one of the two rookies have a heart beat!!!

Thornton runs a 4.2 however so far he plays at 4.6.  He has to show this year a vast improvement or I would say he's just another BB WR mistake. He will be easy to evaluate. I'm talking the mental part because if he get that, watch out. We all will know by the start of the  2023 season.

There’s certainly some to be desired with the group, each for one reason or another, but what I’m weighing, at least for 2023, was how much were the Day 2 and Day 3 guys going to play this year? Especially with how NE treats its rookies on offense outside of OL. Most play sparingly, and I don’t think the receivers are so bad that a rookie would get on the field much. That’s why I don’t think taking two late round fliers (who you look/hope to develop, more so than be instant contributors) isn’t all that far off from taking a guy in the 3rd and 5th, per se. When you consider the (presumed) lack of depth in the class, the receivers on the team that aren’t bench-worthy, and NE’s traditional hesitance with rookie skills guys - I don’t think it makes much a difference. 

2024 and beyond, you’re certainly right, the depth chart’s basically empty. 

If we’re being honest, Bill’s more likely to develop a late round/UDFA WR than a mid rounder anyway, lol. 

3 hours ago, Soko said:

Not my opinion, just what I’ve heard most say.

Ya I know, its the Bucky Brooks of the world starting the trend, the guys on the mains shows, local as well. Rarely see one say anything drastic different. Ex Like are you frigging kidding me taking Anthony Richardson at #4. They all said great pick!!!! Really! Colts fan I'm peeved!!!

Now is this draft loaded with elite WRs,  no but there are guys in this draft that will make an impact.  My problem is the Pats pass on WR while taking chances on OG and a small school  LB that all need work.  I just want the Pats to apply that to areas of need. 

Great example they could of had Marvin Mims with a trade but passed. Bronco and Petyton the offensive genius thought so much of him they moved up. Where were the Pats?  WR is a major need, I take Payton evaluation as a pretty good bet the kid can play!!!! Missed opportunity.

There are team throughout this draft taking WRs that have a lot more success than the Pats.

3 hours ago, Soko said:

If we’re being honest, Bill’s more likely to develop a late round/UDFA WR than a mid rounder anyway, lol. 

Boy are you right on that one. It crazy he has more success (it seems) with later picks, it the high picks that give him trouble!!!!🤣

It’s also selecting the wrong high WRs. I refuse to believe AJ Brown or Deebo (both available when we picked the walking meme Harry) wouldn’t be good here. They didn’t really need “developing”, they use their tools brilliantly.

What a shambles for us. 

• Like 1

I’m convinced this staff only scouts a very small number of people, and base the rest of it off Shrine Bowl. That explains leading better talent out there in favour of players they’ve had a couple days with at the Bowl. Mapu and Andrews for example