Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

9 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Way to get bent over last yeah, Gute. Made the wrong call now we’re stuck with him until he retires. We all would’ve done the same, but Gute gets to take some of the sword on this one. Bad spot.

This is far from accurate

Edited by squire12
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NFLGURU said:

Question for the masses:

I found it curious at Rodgers last golf outing he was quick to dismiss the 49ers as a destination for him.  

Do you think he talked about that with the Packers after the season?  Do you think Rodgers or his agent contacted the niners?   Could be the niners don't have the money or draft choices to give?

Just thought it was curious of all the teams, he singled them out.

Thoughts?

He dismissed his own words regarding the 49ers. He was giving the guy he knew was a 9ers fan a hard time. Claims he didn’t know a mic would hear it.

San Fran + Rodgers = Super Bowl favorites though. 

10 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

No cap expert, but I think he can move some money around, not sure what that entails or how much.  I think he said as much on McAfee, that he'd have to make some adjustments.

Yeah, I'm not sure. Normally a team converts roster bonus or base salary into signing bonus, which gets prorated to the remaining years on the contract. But in this case, Rodgers doesn't have a roster bonus and makes a league minimum salary, so neither of those can be pushed out. Once the option is exercised, it spreads out on the contract. 2024 is basically the same story. So I think Rodgers is a little in the dark (see what i did there, ha!) on what he's saying about his salary cap hits

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

This is far from accurate

All is too strong a word, I agree. But let’s not forget most strongly felt we could win it all this year after he gave us two MVPs. Would’ve been a tough sell to the public to get out last year. Ultimately, I think the majority of us would’ve done the same.

8 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Think he’ll announce it on macaffee Tuesday ?

I think his McAfee appearances are over for the season.  He might make a special appearance at some point, but from what I understand his weekly stops at McAfee are done until next season.

His next appearance(s) might depend on the heat he's getting???

Edited by NFLGURU

14 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

I think you have that last bit all wrong. Rodgers decides everything, because his money is full guaranteed. No team willingly trades for him when he states he won’t play for anyone else. So Green Bay has to play him if he wishes, or cut him and pay him. So all roads lead back to Rodgers deciding everything. Way to get bent over last yeah, Gute. Made the wrong call now we’re stuck with him until he retires. We all would’ve done the same, but Gute gets to take some of the sword on this one. Bad spot.

I suppose you're right in a way. Rodgers can threaten to retire if we trade him to Team X, but he'd have to convince people that he's willing to turn down $60M. I know he's a complicated fella, but he's not turning down $60M.

He could call Team X and say he's not showing up to OTAs and training camp, etc., but that could leaked to the public and tarnish his legacy. Would he want to face months of questions about how he's just there to collect a paycheck? I don't really see this as super likely either.

But I would agree that the Packers would benefit from having an amicable split from Rodgers. Agreeing to a short list of teams with small bidding war on compensation. Treating him like a king and preserve his legacy with the team.

7 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

All is too strong a word, I agree. But let’s not forget most strongly felt we could win it all this year after he gave us two MVPs. Would’ve been a tough sell to the public to get out last year. Ultimately, I think the majority of us would’ve done the same.

Count me in that group that would've been salty about dealing Rodgers last year.

I till think that this team had enough roster to make some real noise in the playoffs if the defense had played up to expectations and Rodgers plays at his 2021 level.

4 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I suppose you're right in a way. Rodgers can threaten to retire if we trade him to Team X, but he'd have to convince people that he's willing to turn down $60M. I know he's a complicated fella, but he's not turning down $60M.

What happens is Rodgers says he is playing for GB and if GB trades him he would then retire?  

What's his trade value?

Rodgers could say he is playing 1 last season in 2023.  What's his trade value then?

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

What happens is Rodgers says he is playing for GB and if GB trades him he would then retire?  

What's his trade value?

Rodgers could say he is playing 1 last season in 2023.  What's his trade value then?

I hadn't really thought of it that way. I'll concede my point. If Rodgers came out and said he'd only play for GB, he'd thread the needle. No trade value, no need to retire, money still guaranteed.

Guess that explains why Gute is still so open to keeping Rodgers, he might have to.

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

What's his trade value?

I think most teams are going to want a 2 year commitment.  I dont think Rodgers will do that unless there is a big incentive to play in 2024.   As I said, I hope he goes to the Raiders, Adams could be enough to get him back in 2024.  JMO

1 minute ago, pgwingman said:

I hadn't really thought of it that way. I'll concede my point. If Rodgers came out and said he'd only play for GB, he'd thread the needle. No trade value, no need to retire, money still guaranteed.

Guess that explains why Gute is still so open to keeping Rodgers, he might have to.

Correct.  GB can't really cut Rodgers given the cap implications. 

So if Rodgers wants to go to a singular specific team....say SF, GB needs to keep him or trade him there.  And what is the trade compensation/ trade value in that scenario?

9 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

He could call Team X and say he's not showing up to OTAs and training camp, etc., but that could leaked to the public and tarnish his legacy. Would he want to face months of questions about how he's just there to collect a paycheck? I don't really see this as super likely either.

But I would agree that the Packers would benefit from having an amicable split from Rodgers. Agreeing to a short list of teams with small bidding war on compensation. Treating him like a king and preserve his legacy with the team.

He’ll turn down 60 Mil before he plays in a situation that he thinks isn’t favorable. 

Hell, what is Aaron Rodgers worth to a broadcast network? Brady is making 54 million annually on his broadcasting deal. Romos at like 17 I think.

If he plays its for the fun competition and wanting another ring. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I think most teams are going to want a 2 year commitment.  I dont think Rodgers will do that unless there is a big incentive to play in 2024.   As I said, I hope he goes to the Raiders, Adams could be enough to get him back in 2024.  JMO

Most teams can want it, but I don't think any teams are going to take anything said by a 40 year old player that has openly contemplated retirement as a solid commitment. So what value does that hold on March 15th of 2023?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pgwingman said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's possible to redo Rodger's contract. The cash he's due this year is fully guaranteed. It can only be turned down if he retires. It's just a matter of whether the Packers will pay it or the next team will pay it. 

I read on Twitter that the best way to think about it is this: Rodgers decides if he wants to play, the Packers decide the team he plays for.

My understanding is that whilst whatever he gets paid this year is fully guaranteed, the option bonus isn't due to be paid until August so at any point between now and then, He and the Packers can redo the contract and remove that option bonus and/or move it around into some other form.

Its no different per say to a 5th year option which is also fully guaranteed.