Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I would agree it's unlikely that Geno hits the market, but if he does he's probably near the top of the list since he's not going to get a mega-contract.  And probably more importantly, he wouldn't need picks to acquire.

And it's not that he needs a deal, but usually when players have NTC they usually get something out of waiving their NTC.  Either more years, more money, or more guarantees added to the deal.  As long as he believes that Las Vegas isn't willing to hold onto him through the deadline, Carr actually has leverage.

But again, it isn't just Carr vs. Jimmy G.  It's Carr vs. Jimmy G and the draft picks you'd need to include to get Derek Carr.  Let's assume that Carr fetches what Carson Wentz did (the IND trade, not the WAS trade).  Are you going to tell me that you can definitively say that Derek Carr is better than Jimmy G, a 3rd round pick this year, and a FRP next year?  Because I'm not.

Personally I'm not a fan of Carr at all but based on all of the reports from the national media and local reporters the team is confident that we'll be able to trade him. Carr's leverage isn't that strong though, IMO, he doesn't want to lose that $40M GTD or his current contract. That's why he and his camp are playing nice with the franchise and looking into potential landing spots.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The problem is there's usually more QB-needy teams than there is QBs.  Let's assume that Geno Smith gets franchised and/or signed to a long-term deal.  Looking down the list, you've got Houston, Indianapolis, Las Vegas, Carolina, New Orleans, NY Jets, Washington, and Tampa Bay as definitively in the QB market.  And then you get into teams who might get into the QB market including Atlanta, Tennessee, New England, Detroit, Seattle, and Baltimore if something happens.  I think we can safely cross of Houston since they're almost certainly going QB at 2.  Let's assume all the QBs that are available become available (sans Geno Smith), you've got Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Lamar Jackson, Jimmy G, Derek Carr, Ryan Tannehill, Bryce Young, CJ Stroud, Will Levis, and Anthony Richardson.  That's 10 QBs, and we've got 8 teams definitively in the QB market and 14 teams that could be in the market if certain things transpire.  Someone's gonna be left without a QB.

Which is why I think it's pretty likely we'll be able to trade him, missing on a QB this offseason could be the death kiss for a lot of GM/HC around the league.

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Which is why I think it's pretty likely we'll be able to trade him, missing on a QB this offseason could be the death kiss for a lot of GM/HC around the league.

As long as Las Vegas doesn't ask for a king's ransom, I'd agree.  LIS, I think that Carson Wentz (to Indianapolis) trade is a realistic ask.  I'd put Indianapolis, Carolina, New Orleans, NY Jets, Washington, and Tampa Bay as the teams as the clear trade partners.  Tampa Bay has some cap issues that they'd need to deal with as would New Orleans.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

As long as Las Vegas doesn't ask for a king's ransom, I'd agree.  LIS, I think that Carson Wentz (to Indianapolis) trade is a realistic ask.  I'd put Indianapolis, Carolina, New Orleans, NY Jets, Washington, and Tampa Bay as the teams as the clear trade partners.  Tampa Bay has some cap issues that they'd need to deal with as would New Orleans.

I think that ship has sailed, I'm hoping that we get something like a 2nd/3rd this year and a conditional 2nd next year that can become a 1st depending on playing time, etc. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

I think that ship has sailed, I'm hoping that we get something like a 2nd/3rd this year and a conditional 2nd next year that can become a 1st depending on playing time, etc. 

Philadelphia got a 3rd round pick and a future FRP from Indianapolis as part of the Wentz trade.

Andrew Brandt / SI - "As I (wrongly) thought last year, I think it’s time for a change in Green Bay. It’s O.K.; it happens (it happened with me after 10 years there). Rodgers and the team have had a wonderful run with fantastic success, despite some gutting playoff losses. He will one day zoom into the Packers Hall of Fame and the Pro Football Hall of Fame without any discussion. But I sense it’s time for a change, and change can be good for all"

///

Mirrors my thinking.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Philadelphia got a 3rd round pick and a future FRP from Indianapolis as part of the Wentz trade.

Wasn't the future pick a conditional 2nd that became a 1st because of his playing time? The only thing that's an issue is the timing, we have to find a team that wants to commit to him a month before the league year begins. Then I think we'll focus all of our attention on Brady with Jimmy G as a potential fall back plan but if that doesn't work I could see us sending the farm for Rodgers.

Do you think you guys would still be interested in Waller as a substitute for a draft pick?

Just now, Leader said:

Andrew Brandt / SI - "As I (wrongly) thought last year, I think it’s time for a change in Green Bay. It’s O.K.; it happens (it happened with me after 10 years there). Rodgers and the team have had a wonderful run with fantastic success, despite some gutting playoff losses. He will one day zoom into the Packers Hall of Fame and the Pro Football Hall of Fame without any discussion. But I sense it’s time for a change, and change can be good for all"

///

Mirrors my thinking.

It definitely seems like it's time for a youth movement in Green Bay. You guys should be pretty set with Love on a rookie deal over the next two years + all of the assets you get from a Rodgers trade. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Wasn't the future pick a conditional 2nd that became a 1st because of his playing time? The only thing that's an issue is the timing, we have to find a team that wants to commit to him a month before the league year begins. Then I think we'll focus all of our attention on Brady with Jimmy G as a potential fall back plan but if that doesn't work I could see us sending the farm for Rodgers.

Do you think you guys would still be interested in Waller as a substitute for a draft pick?

No! He can't stay on the field. 

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

People seem to keep forgetting that Rodgers isn't going anywhere he doesn't enthusiastically want to go.

There's no way he enthusiastically wants to go the Raiders. They're a dumpster fire. 

The Jets and Colts aren't much better and those are the three likeliest destinations. I'm not sure a lot of teams are going to want to give up a kings ransom for him when it could very well be a 1 year rental. Teams were super hesitant about Brady a couple of years ago.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

People seem to keep forgetting that Rodgers isn't going anywhere he doesn't enthusiastically want to go.

There's no way he enthusiastically wants to go the Raiders. They're a dumpster fire. 

I firmly believe Rodgers wants to go somewhere he can win another MVP. Vegas has the weapons for him to accomplish that.