NFL Prospects '23

ravishingone

Well it was a good 2 yrs of feeling optimistic about a deep playoff run.

I do have a feeling at the of this season, our team will be back to QB purgatory.  There will be a lot more time to pay attention to Senior Bowl week.

However, there are many other positions the Bucs will need reinforcements.

Let's get the prospect discussion started.

Prospects to evalauate by Positon/round: 

Top Needs: 

1. QB. 

Prospects to evaluate by Round: 

First round: 

- CJ Stroud Ohio State

- Bryce Young Alabama

2nd/3rd Round: 

- Will Levis Kentucky

- Spencer Rattler South Carolina (if he declares)

Day 3 considerations: 

- Henden Hooker Tennessee

- Jarren Hall BYU 

- Max Dugan TCU 

My thoughts: I think if somehow CJ Stroud or Bryce Young falls or comes in range, I think the Bucs will go after a veteran to start but I also think they draft a QB with upside/grit to push Trask - who hasn't developed. 

2. Guard

1st Round:

- Peter Skoronksi Northwestern 

2nd/3rd: 

- Ocyrus Torrence Florida 

- Jarrett Patterson ND

- Steve Avila TCU 

- Ryan Hayes Michigan

Day 3: 

- KT Leveston K state 

- Andrew Vorhees USC

My anaylsis: Pending where we finish - we're more likely to address a need outside of QB in round 1 and 2. Skoronski in round 1 could allow us to play him anywhere. Avila in round 2/3 would also allow us to move on from Shaq Mason. 

3. Left Tackle (projecting to cut Donovan Smith)

1st Round: 

- Skoronski Northwestern

- Paris Johnson Ohio State 

- Jaelyn Duncan Maryland

2nd/3rd Round: 

- Zion Nelson Miami

- Jack Nelson Wisconsin 

My analysis: Not sure I like the class. Duncan is a bit under the radar as a pass protector so he might be the best in the class. I wouldn't be opposed to him as I've done more research on him. He's probably going to be drafted higher than what the draft media has him at currently. 

4. MLB 

1st Round: 

- Henry Too Too Alabama 

- Jack Campbell Iowa

2nd/3rd Round: 

- Micah Baskerville LSU 

- Trenten Simpson Clemson 

- Noah Sewell Oregon

Day 3: 

- Jack Kiser ND 

- Isiah Moore NC State 

My analysis: Lavonte leaving could put us in a bind with Devin White and KJ Britt at the MLB spot. White has been a mere dissapointment as a top 5 pick. 

While this could put us in a deficit and create a need if David doesn't resign - I would probably skip this position and add depth. 

Depth Needs: 

- CB : Bunting may be brought back for cheap but Corner is usually a pick made every year. Dean will likely be franchised 

- Safety: Neal will be back but this will probably be our 5th need if he doesn't. 

- RB depth: White will probably be the starter and I think we look to shed Fournette's contract. Still - we will be looking for a guy to compete with Vaughn for the 3rd RB spot. 

• Like 1

Mini Mock if we win the division: 

Round 1: Jaelyn Duncan T Maryland: 

- Need to move on from Smith. I compare Duncan to Derrishaw who flew under the radar and is a steal for the vikings at the end of round 1. 

round 2: Steve Avila G TCU 

- I think you just go get yourself a mauler. Rebuild the line and set the next QB up for success in 2024. 

Round 3: Noah Sewell LB Oregon

- He had a down year but he was balling in 2021. Worth a flyer here in round 3 if he's still there. 

Round 4: Byron Young EDGE  Tennessee

- Solid chance Nelson leaves with our cap situation. Will need a 3rd pass rusher and someone to push Tryon 

Round 5: Max Dugan QB TCU 

- He's got grit and great ability to scan the field and go through progressions. At worst he's a long term backup solution but only Trask is under contract next year. 

• Like 2

I hope the Bucs decide we can move on from 76. A lot of quality linemen in this draft early that we can take a stab out. If we pick in the 20’s though I think they’ll be long gone. Kid from Maryland, Duncan is a stud. I think he will go top 15 maybe slide to the late teens. 

We will see what happens in the off season. Bucs have to make cap moves so for guys under performing it could be a real possibility we move on.

Assuming we don’t bc Licht loves Donny

I like DT/EDGE/CB in first round as options.

Round 2 - 3

LB, DL, OL, and safety

23 hours ago, indifference said:

I hope the Bucs decide we can move on from 76. A lot of quality linemen in this draft early that we can take a stab out. If we pick in the 20’s though I think they’ll be long gone. Kid from Maryland, Duncan is a stud. I think he will go top 15 maybe slide to the late teens. 

We will see what happens in the off season. Bucs have to make cap moves so for guys under performing it could be a real possibility we move on.

Assuming we don’t bc Licht loves Donny

I like DT/EDGE/CB in first round as options.

Round 2 - 3

LB, DL, OL, and safety

Does Licht love Donovan Smith or is it the fact that there have been no "average" replacement options on the market and Donovan is an average starting LT who plays above average at times. Just finding average LT's are difficult so if you have one and there isn't a viable replacement - you stick with him. I think if Licht feels confident in a new LT that can be cheaper and develop into a good player - then he'll cut smith. 

imo the "New LT" is already on the roster and its Wirfs

move him to LT and find a RT in the draft

problem solved

as for draft guys, i agree we need Edge, Guard, and Corner help

If Hicks doesnt come back we need another DLineman too

i get the feeling Brady will be back and Leftwich will be gone and that'll solve our QB situation for another year

i wish we could get Stroud somehow but thats a pipe dream 

Gholston was mostly bad this year and Hall was a disappointment.

The cup is bare at DT with just Vita Vea the only starter under contract. Hicks was great when he plays but that band aid wont be on for much longer. Niners flat out punked our guys 

Need to get stronger and bigger at the 3-4 position. Round 2 the kid from Mizzoui who just declared would be a nice fit imo.

On 1/9/2023 at 5:42 PM, indifference said:

The cup is bare at DT with just Vita Vea the only starter under contract. Hicks was great when he plays but that band aid wont be on for much longer. Niners flat out punked our guys 

Need to get stronger and bigger at the 3-4 position. Round 2 the kid from Mizzoui who just declared would be a nice fit imo.

We're going to need an overhaul/rebuild. This is why I believe they'll have Bowles coming into 2023 as a lame duck Head Coach. 

When it comes to LT one name to be on the look out for would be Tyler Lewan if we decide to let Donovan go.  He's not the long term answer but would be a better bridge than Smith.  Yes he's coming off of the ACL but should be fine coming into next year and honestly fits that mentality that Jensen bring to the OL as well.  

Just not big on the idea of messing with Wirf's, not sure why we think the transition will go smoothly especially if Brady is gone.  If Brady stays I think it's a little smoother of a transtition but still why take the risk.

6 hours ago, YoungBucs15 said:

When it comes to LT one name to be on the look out for would be Tyler Lewan if we decide to let Donovan go.  He's not the long term answer but would be a better bridge than Smith.  Yes he's coming off of the ACL but should be fine coming into next year and honestly fits that mentality that Jensen bring to the OL as well.  

Just not big on the idea of messing with Wirf's, not sure why we think the transition will go smoothly especially if Brady is gone.  If Brady stays I think it's a little smoother of a transtition but still why take the risk.

Absolutely no lol. 100% unreliable. Folks in Tennessee are actually wondering why he was retained and not cut vs. not paying AJ brown. 

On 1/9/2023 at 5:42 PM, indifference said:

It's hard to give up on Hall. I think adding another DL through the draft and two for depth in FA is probably the best way to go. I think Gholston will be back if he takes half of what he made this year. Hicks is probably gone unless he also takes a cut. 

I think this draft could very well be full of DL and OL the first 3 rounds honestly to rebuild the trenches. 

On 1/11/2023 at 1:54 PM, YoungBucs15 said:

Maybe I'm just more bullish than others on this idea

Finding LTs is nearly impossible outside of the draft these days, whereas finding RTs are a little bit easier whether that be in FA or the draft.

I guess Wirfs did play RT in college all his career at Iowa but all of his projections had him moving to LT.

The main benefit in my eyes of keeping him at RT is it'd save us money for when we have to resign him. But I have a feeling it's going to be tough to move on from Donovan Smith and find a decent LT.