BDL Discussion Thread 2023

Jlash

2 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

Sounds like something for the Summer rules committee imo and to be clarified in our rules going forward.

My bid was valid and I took on the risk of offering an unsigned IRL player a contract, in anticipation that he (or any of the others I had bid on) may sign a contract IRL during this period. I don't think it makes sense to retrospectively invalidate a bid where there's no precedent.

Now that he has a contract, any bid less than $3,500 made from the point of his details being updated on spotrac, would be invalid as it fails the 50% rule.

For example if a person submitted a 5th year option and between the committee approving, that player signed an extension, we'd still give them the 75% of the 5th year I'm pretty sure. Or would we knock back the 75% of the option and force them to 3up at the extension amount? Has this happened before?

It sounds like you just want to abuse the situation to your advantage. Or at least that is how this is coming across. We should probably add a rule that no new NFL contracts that are signed the week of BDL free agency are in effect until after free agency.

In the case of your 5th year option example it it the owners choice on whether to keep the player on a 5th year and then 3 up the following year or to match any new contract and save the 3 up for next year. Always has been.

6 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I am super confused on how that bid for SMB just worked

The player is making more per year over a shorter term til they can sign their next contract so they will accept that.

1 minute ago, SirA1 said:

It sounds like you just want to abuse the situation to your advantage. Or at least that is how this is coming across. We should probably add a rule that no new NFL contracts that are signed the week of BDL free agency are in effect until after free agency.

In the case of your 5th year option example it it the owners choice on whether to keep the player on a 5th year and then 3 up the following year or to match any new contract and save the 3 up for next year. Always has been.

I’m in agreement here

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SirA1 said:

Well yes I want to abuse the situation to my advantage haha. But abuse perhaps isn't the right way to describe it so much as take advantage of a loophole. It's not something I could have deliberately planned to do, but like I said, I also have made these bids in the anticipation of this potentially happening and the way I've described it being the logical way it would play out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

Well yes I want to abuse the situation to my advantage haha. But abuse perhaps isn't the right way to describe it so much as take advantage of a loophole. It's not something I could have deliberately planned to do, but like I said, I also have made these bids in the anticipation of this potentially happening and the way I've described it being the logical way it would play out.

Don't worry about it problem solved.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

but that hasn’t been consistently the case over other contracts

This is like the third bid of you two going back and forth between 2 and 3 year deals. You want a cheaper salary and MD4L wants less years. My suggestion is quit nickel and diming and make a serious bid.

LVE contract has been doing the same thing.

Its not a perfect system but is what we have. 

One solution for the owners meeting would be to remove 2 year deals entirely. It would cut back on this back and forth. So your only options are 3,4,5 year deals.

A 3 year deal still give you a 1-2 year 3 down for the following year.

Edited by SirA1

6 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

This is like the third bid of you two going back and forth between 2 and 3 year deals. You want a cheaper salary and MD4L wants less years. My suggestion is quit nickel and diming and make a serious bid.

One solution for the owners meeting would be to remove 2 year deals entirely. It would cut back on this back and forth. So your only options are 3,4,5 year deals.

f11cf47f-d601-40fc-bde0-c101b4f5a4ab_tex

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

I feel like I’m the only person who offers lower years. Probably happens about 5 times each FA and I’m the main person in 4 of those situations yearly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MD4L said:

I feel like I’m the only person who offers lower years. Probably happens about 5 times each FA and I’m the main person in 4 of those situations yearly.

For me the only situation where that is warranted is for an older vet. Like Floyd.

On 6/4/2023 at 9:50 PM, SirA1 said:

• For every extra year added you must add at least 85% of the leading bids salary to the total contract size. 
  • For every year decreased in an offer in free agency, you must increase the yearly salary by 5%.

For clarity purposes, wouldn’t that mean Pete’s next offer at 3 years would have to be $9084 total? Because that is 85% of the prior leading offer, $4910 total.

1 minute ago, Scoundrel said:

I’ve offered three 2 year contracts so far

I mean in situations when someone is being offered by two teams. In general, there are frequent 2 year deal handed out.