Offseason Thread

biggie.

14 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Potential insurance for Uche is how I see this. Depth short term.

Former Pats/Jets WR-STer Braxton Berrios signed with Dolphins.

I think he more kicks out Anfernee Jennings. Don't think he's much of a pass rusher to replace Uche. 

• Like 2

TE is for sure an option early. Henry on the last year of his deal with a big base, he’d have been an easy restructure candidate to create space before free agency. Means either he wasn’t open to an extension or NE isn’t sold on him long term, IMO. Either way, adding another TE that can actually impact the offense will be necessary. 

Safety market was pretty underwhelming for FAs. Not sure if the draft is any better. I’d be open to trying Mills out there. Also wonder how Marcus Jones would play in the back with that kind of speed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Would any of you trade:

Mac Jones, Kyle Dugger, Hunter Henry, Kendrick Bourne, Jack Jones, and a 2024 1st for Lamar Jackson?

No I wouldn't trade a box of rocks for Lamar Jackson.   The only reason to do this is to put fanny's in the seats and dollar bills in Kraft's pocket.

" But despite the piles of awards and records, Jackson hasn't taken home many team honors, which doesn't sit well for such a team guy. He's been chasing that through high school, through college, and in the NFL. "

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/lamar-jackson-is-obsessed-with-winning-the-super-bowl

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fan think he's (a lack of a better word ) a normal QB. He a QB that rely's on his running for most of his offense. His career time line is much more limited. 

It will take at least 2/3 years or more for BB put everything in place for him to succeed.  Just think that would be without 1st rd picks and 220+ tied up in cap.  Now we looking at BB retiring and LJ 30 " dog " years old!!!

Sorry @DoleINGout went of topic a little.

No on LJ,  but I would  trade Dugger, Henry and Jack Jones.   A rookie with a big head... bye.

Edited by m haynes

YAC is the biggest thing JuJu Smith-Schuster can bring to the table as opposed to Jakobi Meyers; and the way our offense is likely to operate, I’ll take that all day at the same $11m avg…

Corvette, corvette 😎

is another move coming at WR? Absolutely. Is it going to be a Jerry Jeudy or DeAndre Hopkins trade? Who knows… but either way

JuJu … ️ 

Parker … 🤕

Tyquan …. 🙏

Bourne … if he’s still here, rounds out a solid top 4 at the position if we don’t take a WR early in the draft… but let me entertain a thought 

Pick 46 and Kendrick Bourne for Jerry Jeudy?

I’d do it. Some people say JuJu isn’t a WR1. Some people say Jeudy isn’t a WR1. Whether one or both of those are true or not, they are both WR’s that, if playing together in New England, are good enough to at least push a defensive coordinator into Tuesday when drafting up his game plan for our wide receivers next season🤣

Back to reality,

The $ given to offensive tackles Calvin Anderson and Riley Reiff is definitely noticeable. I’ve seen talks where some suggest Trent Brown could be a trade/cut candidate. I don’t think that happens unless we go offensive tackle in round one.

Exciting for Anderson to be back where it started too, after signing as an UDFA for Bill Belichick on his initial crusade in the NFL.

James Robinson is still only 24 and he was great on a bad Jacksonville team as a rookie. Amongst his problems in the league after 3 seasons, a little Urban Meyer and New York Jets thrown at him was almost as difficult to overcome as his achilles injury!

He’s a welcome addition to the running back room imo. He’s not going to steal carries from Rhamondre Stevenson, but we can’t hand it off to ‘Dre 40 times a game, neither.

He definitely hasn’t proven himself to be no James White as of yet.. but 120 targets with 91 receptions and 617 yards is a pretty good start to helping our offense keep going on 3rd down.

I feel like JD McKissic would have been a better bang for our buck if they truly wanted a guy that was viewed as the solidified receiving back. Would’ve been nice on special teams too 😉 

overall…

I’m happy with the moves the Patriots have made so far in free agency.

Can’t wait to see what Matt Groh has in store for us this year in the draft after his love-fest with RAS scores last year

However you feel about the signings thus far, you can clearly see the plan - get to the draft without any glaring holes. Last year NE needed a guard come draft day, and then they drafted Strange in round one. Who knows if he’d have been the pick or not with Karras around (Bill’s good for at least one completely head scratcher per year) but it’s hard not to connect those dots.

This year most people recognized WR, tackle, TE, and CB as needs (FS to once Devin was gone). So they add JJSS where Meyers left. They added a veteran and a younger depth guy at tackle. They’ve now added a tight end with proven receiving skills. They retained their best corner, who was set to hit FA. None of these guys are superstars and might not be reliable players come Week 1, but they at least provide some layer of protection on the depth chart. I personally don’t expect much out of the signings at tackle, at all. But it puts the team in a much better position to go BPA compared to last year.

And they’re not done. Let’s keep it going.

1. Move Jon Jones to FS and draft a CB to convert to FS behind him
  2. Sign Rock Ya-Sin to be your #2 CB
  3. Draft at least one impact offensive player in the top 2 rounds ( Flowers / Mims / Washington) 
  4. Draft either a CB or LT top 2 rounds ( Brentz / Rush / Bergeron / Duncan) 
  5. Draft a TE who can start in a year
  6. Draft a RT in the 4th (Morris / Hayes /etc.) 

I'm feeling pretty good.. especially if they sign Ya-Sin to a 2-3 year deal before the draft. 

46 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I like it .. you need at least 2-3 elite special teams guys to be a great unit. They win 1-2 more games a year off special teams.. spend money on it and make it happen. 

Looking forward to who they pick at Punter and if they go high for a Kicker.

Something that isn't talked about enough right now is Davante Parker's situation tbo.. IF they do in fact add another WR (OBJ/Hopkins/Jeudy/draft) .. Parker is the most likely guy on the way out imo. 

This draft has no size.. so if they add a guy I think on draft night you can get a team to give up a 4th for Parker which would be great value given what they gave up to get him.. very much a BB move. 

This doesn't stop them from trading Bourne either, even though I think they should keep him. If they are 1000% out on Bourne I think they can probably get a 4th for him too. Especially with JuJu getting injured a bit over the years, I think you want Bourne around at minimum to be his backup in case he gets injured for a game or two.