Offseason Thread

biggie.

10 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Trade Mac to Raiders somehow getting 7 while keeping 14. Then Trade 7, and 14 for 1. I doubt that's enough but it would be interesting. 

Mac, 2023 second round pick, maybe a late round pick, plus a vet player or two for #7 might be it.

Mac was taken 15th overall and the Pats pick this year is 14th overall so to Josh McDaniels it could look like those two have essentially the same value in terms of the point system. Roughly 1100 points. You add in the Pats second round pick which is valued at 440 points and that sum alone is equal to the #7 pick the Raiders have this year.

add in a vet that Josh/Mac like, (or two vets), and maybe like a pick swap later or something and that might be enough to convince Josh and the Raiders organization.

I could see Bourne being thrown in there. Perhaps the Raiders even sign Mac friend Damien Harris prior to the draft as well to compliment Josh Jacobs.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Mac, 2023 second round pick, maybe a late round pick, plus a vet player or two for #7 might be it.

Mac was taken 15th overall and the Pats pick this year is 14th overall so to Josh McDaniels it could look like those two have essentially the same value in terms of the point system. Roughly 1100 points. You add in the Pats second round pick which is valued at 440 points and that sum alone is equal to the #7 pick the Raiders have this year.

add in a vet that Josh/Mac like, (or two vets), and maybe like a pick swap later or something and that might be enough to convince Josh and the Raiders organization.

I could see Bourne being thrown in there. Perhaps the Raiders even sign Mac friend Damien Harris prior to the draft as well to compliment Josh Jacobs.

I can see it, especially the Damien Harris to Raiders signing. If they do actually trade Renfrow somewhere I could see them signing Meyers too. Same with wanting Bourne.. putting Mac with the 2021 offense but adding a legit #1 WR/TE. Then they can focus on OL in the draft. 

I had never thought of going all the way to #1 but I've thought of the Mac to Raiders trade off and on for awhile. If they strike out on Rodgers and don't trust JimmyG to last a season he's really the next best option. 

I think there is a scenario where CJ Stroud is there and they jump on the opportunity. Especially if they are into the idea of re-uniting him with JSN. Otherwise I could see O'Briens time in College making him want a mobile QB and going after Richardson.

Edited by Crimmage
  • Like 1

Some of my thoughts on a trade for 1st pick.

If you can get it with 7, 14 and 1st 2024  run to the podium !!!!!!!

Pray that the Bears are dumb enough to pass on Young. Justin Fields is going to run the Bears to the SB !!!! Please

The Bears won't make the trade based on most of the reports because they want Williams or Carter, IMO why???? You traded for Mack how did that help your team ??? Dumb

14th pick in this draft is weak to say the least, 14 down all the players are basically rated the same. This draft stinks in the 1st RD, compared to the lower rounds.

Kraft throwing money at the coaching staff. Happy to see it, because they needed it. I hope they keep Billy Yates as assistant OL coach too. 

This also makes Alex Forsyth someone to keep an eye on. Center from Oregon, day 3 guy.. they had a great OL and Klemm probably likes him a lot. If he wants to bring one of his own guys in, I could see him pushing to draft Forsyth.

Edited by Crimmage

3 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I’d imagine this wouldn’t hurt to keep him around in case Klemm needs help.

I'm also not sure Klemm will stay that long. 

He ended up leaving the Steelers early his last season while looking for another job.. and has jumped around a bit if I recall. They are paying him big money, so it's likely that most teams aren't going to pay a lot over 1M for an OL coach, but it's something to consider. 

I want as many assistant position coaches as possible to make things easier if someone leaves. 

Jakobi Meyers

Spielberger projected that any team interested in signing Meyers this off season will have to pay him in the neighborhood of $64 million, with $40 million in guaranteed money, over four years. The wideout caught 67 passes for 804 yards and six touchdowns in 2022, per Pro Football Reference.

https://heavy.com/sports/chicago-bears/jakobi-meyers-deandre-hopkins-tee-higgins/?fbclid=IwAR0BNvQeNeHW_bWmI_M_zpx3nviJFxpmchxd7yrRnoRTei0Fqn4x-pkkKjc

Och to rich for the Pats.

Heavy.com is crap site however it the quote that caught my eye.

4 hours ago, m haynes said:

Jakobi Meyers

Spielberger projected that any team interested in signing Meyers this off season will have to pay him in the neighborhood of $64 million, with $40 million in guaranteed money, over four years. The wideout caught 67 passes for 804 yards and six touchdowns in 2022, per Pro Football Reference.

https://heavy.com/sports/chicago-bears/jakobi-meyers-deandre-hopkins-tee-higgins/?fbclid=IwAR0BNvQeNeHW_bWmI_M_zpx3nviJFxpmchxd7yrRnoRTei0Fqn4x-pkkKjc

Och to rich for the Pats.

Heavy.com is crap site however it the quote that caught my eye.

Yikes 

Yikes times 64million

As I said in a different thread the other day… to what extent is Jakobi worth it?

Homegrown, reliable, under appreciated… did he go from underrated to overrated in one season ? Because he is not worth that money in my books. I get that bigger contracts are and will be dished out as the NFL moves forward, but I still have trouble adapting to it. 

“In 2012, the wide receiver bar was set by Calvin Johnson's seven-year, $113.5 million contract. The deal's $16.2 million average annual value, with a whopping $53.3 million of it guaranteed, blew out the curve for wide receivers.”

Comparison in salaries nowadays aren’t fair to compare at all… but still. It’s like the jersey number switch lol.. Maybe I’m old school in my thinking

Players getting paid a % of the salary cap, rather than a straight number is the best proposition I’ve heard to deflate these ridiculous contracts some. I’m opening canned worms with all this… Sorry🤔😂😳

anyway…. I’m turning my attention to other guys on the market. DJ Chark, come on down…..😎

• Like 1

Unfortunately, bye bye Meyers. No chance they pay that. This draft is STACKED with potential slot guys, they aren't going to pay him 15M+ 

I have a feeling that they are going to spend free agent money on defense. I thought about RT in free agency a lot.. but if you're going to spend 15M+ on a RT, I think I would rather spend that 15M on the defense. 

Give me LB / FS / DL help in free agency and let me focus on the offense in the draft. 

Fix OT in the draft.. you've got a lot of talent and depth there. I would do the following in the draft: 

Scenario 1: Play it safe and take Broderick Jones at 14 .. move Trent Brown to RT and draft a guy day 3 to compete with Stueber as a future RT replacement. 

Scenario 2: Trade back from 14 far enough in the 20's to take Dawand Jones, RT and a 2nd or 3rd&4th to take Jaelyn Duncan, LT at the end of the 2nd. 

I like scenario 2 for a few reasons: 

- You can get both OT's filled with the 14th pick

- Jones starts day 1 at RT while Trent Brown is LT

- Duncan can redshirt to be ready to take over LT year 2 and if for any reason he is a bust you can move Jones over to LT and draft a RT next year ( or hope that Stueber is the guy) 

I read this article and the only thing came to me was so what, big deal, who cares.

https://www.masslive.com/patriots/2023/02/how-patriots-could-create-20-million-more-in-cap-space-with-just-a-few-moves.html?utm_campaign=masslivesports&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

The Patriots need someone other than BB from signing any offensive FA. He has no clue how to spend the money wisely in today's NFL. Last time the Pats had money it was a disaster.  He spent over 100+ for what????

I also don't want him trading on the offensive side of the ball.  The trade for Parker was a gamble. He is nothing special and just like his history, he on the injured list. Anyone find it strange that the Fins traded him to the Pats. 

I would love to reverse that trade and have that 3rd RD pick back.  You would have a trade up asset or players such as Xavier Hutchinson, Kyu Blu Kelly,Tyler Steen , Sam LaPorta and Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson.  Young ,cheap with tremendous up side.   This trade IMO is just slightly better than Sanu.  Impulse trade are the worst.

I read some where that BOB is now totally in charge of the offense. God I hope so. I hope the draft as well, at least major input with Kraft watching over BB shoulder.

EX  Henry  You really think he's worth the cap space, reduce his pay to what to 6/7 million, really. Our offense is so bad we look at Henry as critical, because he works well with Mac, was there any other choices for Mac!!!! You trying to tell me there's not one TE that will cost a lot cheaper than an AVERAGE TE !!

You put on the red, white and blue and you can chew gum, you are considered by many a must have player.  Henry is nothing special, he just a guy that plays TE.

Forgot to add if BB wasn't in charge of the "offense" draft picks. Do you really think anyone in there right mind would trade up to draft Dalton Keene!!!! What so call buddy gave him the 411 on that disaster !!!!

Edited by m haynes

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

I would love to reverse that trade and have that 3rd RD pick back.  You would have a trade up asset or players such as Xavier Hutchinson, Kyu Blu Kelly,Tyler Steen , Sam LaPorta and Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson.  Young ,cheap with tremendous up side.   This trade IMO is just slightly better than Sanu.  Impulse trade are the worst.

Agreed, but I understand them wanting a veteran for Mac. It wasn't a bad trade.. they got a 4th and gave up a 3rd.. not a big deal. They expected to get a 3rd comp back for JC too.. but unfortunately he got injured so that didn't work out. 

This draft is really deep in that 3rd/4th round range.. they have 3 4th's.. to me it's all about trading back either in the 1st or 2nd to grab another 3rd or two. Guarantee that you get the guys you want and move on. This should be another season where they add 10+ rookies to the team and further the youth movement. 

I love Xavier Hutchinson too, but worry about his long speed. If he can only play the slot I would rather a shiftier guy.. but if he can play outside too i'm all for it. 

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

I read some where that BOB is now totally in charge of the offense. God I hope so. I hope the draft as well, at least major input with Kraft watching over BB shoulder.

Input, sure... but I'm letting Groh make the decisions. O'Brien had his chance to control and entire organization and it didn't work out.

1) NOOOO to extending Henry... in an amazing TE Draft, you're going to extend mediocre Henry who can't block. No thank you.. trade or cut him .. worse case keep him around this year if you don't trust a rookie.

2) Do we need a huge amount of cap space this year? It doesn't feel like a great Free Agency class.. so I would rather just get McCourty's cap space out of the way now

3) I would be happy to extend Judon, give him one more year and let him retire a Patriot. Even if he slows down he can still be a good situational guy.. speed has never been his strongest quality, he's a leader, etc. 

2 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I love Xavier Hutchinson too, but worry about his long speed. If he can only play the slot I would rather a shiftier guy.. but if he can play outside too i'm all for it. 

I have mentioned early that he remind me of Micheal Irvin and his game .... Intermediate Routes, middle of the field.

I have no concern with long speed because he's not the guy that should run those routes. He's the guy that works off Thornton. What I like is his size with LIGHT FEET. he's nothing like "run like a duck" Harry.  Hutch runs a 4.51 40  at 6'3, Irvin 4.52 at 6'2.

Perfect tape the way he should be used.  Meyers bigger and faster AND CHEAP!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jywtg1k_kUE

2 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I'm letting Groh make the decisions. O'Brien had his chance to control and entire organization and it didn't work out.

I not in favor of Groh having the final decision. I understand BOB past but that irrelevant. The Pats picked him to run the offense A to Z. When it comes down to who to pick, I go with the football guy not the stats guy. I'm not talking about some guy that hasn't gone through the process like BB did on many occasions. Jordan Richards says hi! Scouts and Groh have major input.

What I'm saying if it between players like JSN and Flowers. Stats are close, they are rated the same. You have to choose one, its should be up to BOB. Groh takes Flowers however BOB needs JSN to run his offense.   The stat guy in charge, no we go with Flowers because our stats say we can get a player just the same later!!!! BS!!!

IMO, No stat guy should ever have final decision.

Edited by m haynes

11 hours ago, Crimmage said:

1) NOOOO to extending Henry... in an amazing TE Draft, you're going to extend mediocre Henry who can't block. No thank you.. trade or cut him .. worse case keep him around this year if you don't trust a rookie.

Agreed. I know a TE who is great at blocking, named Tucker Kraft. Also I wasn't a huge fan of Henry anyway.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Iron_man said:

Agreed. I know a TE who is great at blocking, named Tucker Kraft. Also I wasn't a huge fan of Henry anyway.

I'm not a big Hunter Henry guy.. I think a lot of people love him just because they remember the guys who came before him. He brought average TE play back. 

I would take any of these guys out of the draft and get rid of Henry: 

• Darnell Washington. ( I fully expect them to love him, just a matter of if he is there at 46 and if they pull the trigger on him) 
  • Dalton Kincaid (2nd) 
  • Tucker Kraft (3rd) 
  • Sam LaPorta (4th) 
  • Cameron Latu (4th) 
  • Payne Durham (4th) 
  • Zack Zuntz (6th) 

I know i'm missing some guys too.. but the point is anywhere in the draft you want to draft a TE.. you can get a guy who can at least be a TE2 for a long time.