Offseason Thread

biggie.

So Patriots will have coaches at both the Senior Bowl and Shrine Bowl. I'll be honest, that's pretty huge.. I wonder how they split up the front office staff for that week. Senior Bowl and Shrine Bowl should really be different weeks so that teams can have everyone they want at both. 

The Patriots are projected to have 5 picks in the 6th/7th round. I would expect a majority if not all of those guys to come from the bowl games. 

On 1/18/2023 at 8:47 AM, Crimmage said:

I'll actually break it down to one word... loyalty 

I think you meant BLIND loyalty.

• BB and Saban are attached at the hip based off all the reports we hear. 
  • Josh getting a job last year I believe caught them off guard so they weren't prepared with an in house replacement
  • Bill O'Brien was always the person BB wanted.. but he had 1 more year on his Alabama contract.. and BB wasn't about to hurt Saban to help himself 
  • He then asks MattyP to take one for the team and help him out to get the offense passable for a year until they can hire O'Brien
  • Keep in mind that this was all reported last offseason as well.. while we were hoping they would find an OC, a bunch of people reported that BB was going to try and weather the storm internally until BOB was available.. we just always assumed it would be Caley and not MattyP.

This all excuses.  I here this on local sports all the time. BB past has earned the right, bull crap!!! Just read this and think about how incompetent however in charge of this mess.

This is a BILLION dollar business and BB gets paid 20 million a year. This doesn't cut it if I'm Kraft. Your mistakes could us cost millions.  So your saying you didn't want to go against your BUDDY and than put someone in charge of my team that HAD NO CLUE??? Who the heck do you think you are???

Trust me  there are many Pats fan questioning, why pay for this mess. Just ask the Red Sox's and Baseball I haven't watched in 2 years. 

. I think he thought he could win 10 games and have a 50/50 shot of winning a wild card game and it would all be fine. Even with the horrendous offense, he was close ..

OK  Well Bill  you are a tremendous coach however a complete failure in your overall, GM duties. So this is whats going to happen. I bringing  in a GM because, I need someone that can take care of the whole operation. Kraft...  BB tough crap, i have a business to run and you have failed as GM.

Side note, BB  is gone after the record so its no big deal is he quits.  Yes I know the media will make its seem like the sky is falling however millions of fans could care less they just watch the games for enjoyment, lets say they are pink hats.   Do you really think the casual fan will take pride if BB gets the record. Who gives a crap.. The only idiots that care is diehards, like me!!!!  I hate Shula,for me he was the most hated guy throughout football fan life. My wife (fan) who is Shula!!!!

I actually think he would be best in an Ernie Adams / Front Office role.

I think he should go, when BB leaves.  What has he done to deserve that position??? Also the old guys should go with BB, start fresh. I would keep maybe one or two however it solely based on merit.

BB says he's retired, two minutes later Achord... YOUR FIRED.

EX Judge. If he take ST back to what it was when he coached, no problem he stays.

I also would keep Steve Belichick, reason why, young, success with this years defense, impressive and I want to see what he would do with his OWN defensive game plan and ideas .  Just think he had CBs out and he had to work miracle with Bryant on the field !!!!!

Edited by m haynes

On 1/18/2023 at 1:47 PM, Crimmage said:
  • Josh getting a job last year I believe caught them off guard so they weren't prepared with an in house replacement
  • Bill O'Brien was always the person BB wanted.. but he had 1 more year on his Alabama contract.. and BB wasn't about to hurt Saban to help himself 

These are good explanations. I'd buy that.

Still, it is effectively torpedoing a season then. Couldn't find someone with experience calling offensive plays just to take a one-year deal? Throw a ton of money at them?

On 1/18/2023 at 1:47 PM, Crimmage said:

It feels like BB always knew this was going to be a bridge to BOB year, I just don't think he thought it would be this bad

It's the third in a row then.

The Cam/COVID year, BB was quoted (by Tom Curran) saying he thought it was outrageous that the season was even going ahead. So he probably wasn't all in on that year, having Cam suggests it was just a year he had to get the team through. Following year is a rookie QB year, which are almost always bridge years. And now this one, with a mediocre defensive coach learning to call offensive plays on the job. Three bum years in a row.

And yes, because BB is so damned good, we've been competitive in all three. But now it's time to get back to winning in the playoffs. Next season is crucial.

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

But now it's time to get back to winning in the playoffs

You should have a better Idea in the next couple of weeks.  The OC coach is one step, it's the steps that follow that count.  Here what I'm looking at

1. OC    ------ it better be someone  outside the organization.  Nick Caley gets the job, I lose it!!!!! Talk about freaking out, he could beat out Fat Matt now this!!!!

2. Does the new OC bring his guys or does BB tell he him,  he's using his current staff. ------ OC doesn't have a chance and it right back to tackle dives and not using TE over the middle.

3. Will it be the same offensive scheme.  Run the ball, eat up the clock, wait for the other team to make mistakes. Conservative between the tackle football.

4.  Is the new OC from the good old boy  BB network. Except BOB, who we know (hope) he can do the job and is not going to be a puppet.

Any of the things I mentioned  means BB is not changing a thing. We will get the same (offense)  crap until he retires or is fired.

Finally, what BB does in the draft and at the tackle spots.  IMO we will be greatly disappoint and completely pass on high end talent in the draft and FA and go with the currently roster.  He has done this many times. Ex WR and TEs.

19 hours ago, m haynes said:

New name  I know his father is a BB puppet.  Is he another puppet??? Skill if any ????

Considering he was the OC of one of the all-time bad offenses in college, I think it was a tongue-in-cheek way of saying "please make him your problem instead of ours".

• Like 3

If I recall correctly he was previously an OL coach, not sure if he was good at it or not.. but i'm all for bringing in more OL coaching help. Just don't put him anywhere near the rest of the offense. 

to me it just makes way too much sense: 

- O'Brien OC/Play Caller 

- McCardell WR/Pass Game Coordinator 

- Here's the twist... Troy Brown TE Coach .. ( He was previously special teams.. then RB.. then WR.. I could see them switching him to TE for a couple seasons so he can get more experience and be ready for an OC job in the future). Not saying he's necessarily a bad WR coach.. but if you have a chance to get McCardell you've gotta make it happen. 

Cap Space ($33 million)

Da’Ron Payne, DL

Isaiah Oliver, CB/S

Cam Sutton, CB

Foster Moreau, TE

Jalen Guyton, WR

Richie James, WR

Jabril Peppers, S/LB

Mike McGlinchey, OT

Cameron Fleming, OL

Max Scharping, OG

Justin Watson, WR/TE

Rex Burkhead, RB/ST

Cut: Trent Brown, Hunter Henry, DeVante Parker, Jalen Mills, Lawrence Guy ($35.5 million savings)

I don't get several people's infatuation with McGlinchey. San Fran fans pray that someone makes an offer for him and he leaves and from what I've seen they are right. Not worth the cheddar he'd command.

Edited by LD696

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

Cap Space ($33 million)

Da’Ron Payne, DL

Isaiah Oliver, CB/S

Cam Sutton, CB

Foster Moreau, TE

Jalen Guyton, WR

Richie James, WR

Jabril Peppers, S/LB

Mike McGlinchey, OT

Cameron Fleming, OL

Max Scharping, OG

Justin Watson, WR/TE

Rex Burkhead, RB/ST

Cut: Trent Brown, Hunter Henry, DeVante Parker, Jalen Mills, Lawrence Guy ($35.5 million savings)

I think people are sleeping on Tremaine Edmunds, he's a classic improve your team dramatically while hurting a division rival. Similar to Gilmore situation. 

I don't see Parker being cut, he played well enough and is cheap. 

Lawrence Guy is a leader, losing McCourty and Slater.. doubt they cut him. But they certainly need a future replacement. 

I can't cut / trade Hunter Henry fast enough. He's mediocre and hyped up by fans when he does things any TE should be doing. This is a good TE draft.. double dip on day 3 if you have to.. i'm good with him.