Offseason Thread

biggie.

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

I wonder if a 2nd and a future 2nd is enough to go from 45 to 20?

In other drafts,no way. This draft you just might. There is nothing special at the bottom of the 1st, unless your looking for a CB.  After 21 it crap for 1st round picks. I used this mock.  https://www.tankathon.com/nfl/mock_draft

I use this site as a starting point. Find it easy to use.

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

they got to the playoffs with Mac as a rookie.. if you have a proper OC

This is why.I made the comment.

I don't trust BB at all when it comes to offense. I see the same offense with a different guy. There is no way in heck he will go outside his " yes men " tree ! Big question who else on this planet other than Josh and Obbie effectively run BB offense that will come here.

Also I don't see the OT position getting fixed anytime soon. He will pass on McGlinchey in FA  and he will take a project that needs development in the draft and bargain hunt to fill the need in FA.

Also he will get rid of Bourne for spite. and I don't know what they do at TE.  J Smith is a bust. I don't care who's coaching. IMO O'Brien is going to Tenn when all said and done. Another major problem no # 1 WR. that has a fear factor. 

Don't forget McCourty retires. Again BB has no plan or young guy ready to take over and they lose his leadership on the field as well.

And don't forget Mayo might be going.

This NEVER happens... but i'm all for keeping Mayo and give me ALL the OC interviews.. it's so sad that things this small can feel so amazing after last season

I like the idea of Mayo as a future HC, I think he commands respect and could be a Vrabel type HC in the future. I also really like Steve as a play caller. I would happily take a future coaching staff of: 

Mayo HC

Steve DC 

If/when they reveal to us who they interview and of course who gets hired .. I think that's going to say a lot about how they feel about Mac internally. Bill O'Brien says they want to go back to how they used to do things and Mac is the guy.. but if it's a younger, new age guy.. that could mean they want to go back in the draft and restart the cycle. 

Edited by Crimmage
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Crimmage said:

but if it's a younger, new age guy.. that could mean they want to go back in the draft and restart the cycle. 

I not sure that the case if they bring in new age guy.

There are plenty of new age guys around the NFL that Mac could work in there offense. Rams, Chargers, Lyons,SF, Packers, Dolphins, NYG, Cowboys, Bengals, Seahawks, Vikings. There QBs mostly play from the pocket. 

Now if its Bears, Ravens  Philly, KC, Falcons, Jags, Bills  no, Mac not a good fit.

My comment is not about Mac, it more on the the offensive design many teams run their passing game from the pocket. Yes some of them can run Burrow, Herbert but the design is to (pocket) pass and scramble if they have no other choice.

Some teams are lucky like Bills and KC they have QB that do both at a elite level.  They are the lucky ones becasue it nearly impossible to find guy's that excel at both.

yes I know the RPO but that IMO is smoke screen. Ex Tua shows RPO but he can't run to save his life!!!

Edited by m haynes

4 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

They should be looking at ST coordinators too, as bad as the offense was the special teams breakdowns down the stretch is what cost them a playoff spot - the kicking travesty against the Bengals and the TWO KR touchdowns against the bills.

I believe the most likely solution here is Judge and Achord focus on special teams. If i'm not mistaken, the Giants still have to pay him another year or two. So if that's the case, he could become a "special teams advisor" and essentially be the coordinator. 

Based on the above info from PatsCap, who has the Patriots projected to go into free agency with about 35M in cap space: 

• Hunter Henry is almost guaranteed to have something happen to him
    • This could be an extension, restructure if he wants to stay or traded for a day 3 pick / cut ... they save nearly 10M letting him go. That is RT money and given how much depth this draft has at TE I can't imagine them keeping him. It also finally forces them to try and properly use Jonnu Smith ( who would have lead the league in broken tackles if he had enough receptions)
  • Trent Brown is another tricky one.. 
    • Given how few LT/RT's are available.. I could certainly see someone trading for him on a 1 year deal... but the Patriots have 0 depth at OT too.. so they may just keep him at that price
    • Another option would be to extend him out one more year to spread the cap / convince him to restructure for a cheaper deal given how rough of a second half of the season he had.. he has said he only wants to play here so it will be interesting if he is willing to take a pay cut to stay 
  • Kendrick Bourne / Davante Parker
    • Both guys have cap hits of only about 5M .. can't imagine you finding better value anywhere in the league
    • The only chance one of these guys is gone is if the coaches really hate them or some rookies blow up in camp and they are kicked out of the depth chart
    • I would bet that Meyers is gone and both of these guys stick around another year

I would do everything I could to trade Hunter Henry for a 4th to someone and use that 10 million to sign an OT. Trent Brown I would try to extend for 1 year to be honest.. something like changing his 1 year 10M to 2 years 15M. This would save them some cap space this year allowing a rookie to not have the pressure of starting day 1 and if the rookie overtakes him this year you can cut/trade him next offseason. 

On 1/14/2023 at 10:52 AM, Crimmage said:

coaches really hate them

This is what really bugs me. Ya he's a screw up at times however he's your best weapon. Make it work. How ( BB ) many time do i have to put up with this.  Easy every time becasue he putting up numbers.

It call live with it. Punish ok but to banish him for the season is ridiculous. Hey, idiot your the one that signed him , next time do your homework!!!!.  Something he doesn't seem to do, right Aggie, Smith!!!!

Apparently Mayo’s taking up as assistant HC, Judge is going back to special teams coordinator, and Patricia’s going back into an advisory role. Lots of speculation that Mayo’s being setup to be the next HC when that time comes.

About as good as we can ask for, I think. Let’s just get a good OC.

Anyone watched the Giants this season? Julian Love any good? He's about to be a free agent, wondering if he could be an option for the Patriots. 

Also.. Tremaine Edmunds.. he's only 24 and the Bills are 9M over the cap.  You can get a pro bowl LB added to your roster while taking a pro bowl LB from a division rival. This isn't considering the fact that being around Jerod Mayo everyday would probably bring his game to the next level too.

Edited by Crimmage

On 1/11/2023 at 3:42 PM, m haynes said:

Don't need one, forgone conclusion.  

Now if he stays OC, thread the heck out of it.  100 +pages of mutiny!!!! !😁

Why did we even bother with this experiment? Why have we wasted a season with a DC learning to be an OC on the job? In our young QBs second year?

i just can’t wrap my head around that. It’s like BB has deliberately torpedoed a season (I know he hasn’t but that’s what it feels like). Feels like the type of sabotaging move that could only be done on purpose.

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Why did we even bother with this experiment? Why have we wasted a season with a DC learning to be an OC on the job? In our young QBs second year?

i just can’t wrap my head around that. It’s like BB has deliberately torpedoed a season (I know he hasn’t but that’s what it feels like). Feels like the type of sabotaging move that could only be done on purpose.

Best would to describe it   ------   narcissist.

Narcissists have absolutely no concerns outside of their own needs and desires. They don't care about the people around them as much as they care about themselves.

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I'll actually break it down to one word... loyalty 

1. BB and Saban are attached at the hip based off all the reports we hear. 
  2. Josh getting a job last year I believe caught them off guard so they weren't prepared with an in house replacement
  3. Bill O'Brien was always the person BB wanted.. but he had 1 more year on his Alabama contract.. and BB wasn't about to hurt Saban to help himself 
  4. He then asks MattyP to take one for the team and help him out to get the offense passable for a year until they can hire O'Brien
  5. Keep in mind that this was all reported last offseason as well.. while we were hoping they would find an OC, a bunch of people reported that BB was going to try and weather the storm internally until BOB was available.. we just always assumed it would be Caley and not MattyP.

It feels like BB always knew this was going to be a bridge to BOB year, I just don't think he thought it would be this bad. I think he thought he could win 10 games and have a 50/50 shot of winning a wild card game and it would all be fine. Even with the horrendous offense, he was close .. win the Vegas/Vikings games and you've got 10 wins. Buffalo played awful against Miami.. the Patriots defense would have done great.. but it didn't work out how he planned. 

Judge I think wants to be on the offensive side of the football... he knows it's unlikely he gets another HC job if he is a special teams guy. My best advice to him would be to stick to ST and have a long career at it. 

Now that the season is over, I actually feel bad for Patricia. He's a company guy who was going to do whatever BB asked him to do. He likely knew things weren't going to go well but just did what he was told. He could have flipped out on Mac publicly but never did. I actually think he would be best in an Ernie Adams / Front Office role. Let him be BB's sidekick and not have control over the defense. This is all assuming of course that he isn't the person leaking all of the Mac hate from inside the building of course.