Offseason Thread

biggie.

2 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

Hey Pats fans, a Browns fan here.

We have requested permission to interview Jerod Mayo for our just became open DC position.

Just wondering what you all think of him as a young coach and also what system do you run? Am I correct in thinking it’s a 3-4?

Hybrid front. Defense asks a lot of LBers, both inside and on the edges. Thrives on a smart, thumper being up the middle (bonus if they can cover/rush). Not afraid to man up or play zone. Absolutely gets gashed against smart QBs that can run, but not totally sure if that’s a coaching issue or a personnel issue. 

Not really sure how much Mayo owns in regards to this defense, though. Steve and Bill have had their hands in it the last few years, it’s a joint effort. Since Patricia left for the Detroit job, the defense has taken a step up (most believed this to be because of Bill Belichick). What Mayo brings to the table as the sole defensive playcaller, isn’t 100% known. 

4 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Hybrid front. Defense asks a lot of LBers, both inside and on the edges. Thrives on a smart, thumper being up the middle (bonus if they can cover/rush). Not afraid to man up or play zone. Absolutely gets gashed against smart QBs that can run, but not totally sure if that’s a coaching issue or a personnel issue. 

Not really sure how much Mayo owns in regards to this defense, though. Steve and Bill have had their hands in it the last few years, it’s a joint effort. Since Patricia left for the Detroit job, the defense has taken a step up (most believed this to be because of Bill Belichick). What Mayo brings to the table as the sole defensive playcaller, isn’t 100% known. 

Also just read this

Pittsburgh Steelers inside linebackers coach Brian Flores and New England Patriots linebackers' coach Jerod Mayo for the position.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35411587/cleveland-browns-fire-defensive-coordinator-joe-woods

I would take Flores 10 out of 10 times over Mayo. You know what your getting. Heck of a defensive coach.

2 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Also just read this

Pittsburgh Steelers inside linebackers coach Brian Flores and New England Patriots linebackers' coach Jerod Mayo for the position.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35411587/cleveland-browns-fire-defensive-coordinator-joe-woods

I would take Flores 10 out of 10 times over Mayo. You know what your getting. Heck of a defensive coach.

Agreed. If I’m a team that needs a HC my first two interviews are Ben Johnson (OC Detroit) and Flores. Flores as a DC would be just as good.

• Like 1

Just now, Yin-Yang said:

Agreed. If I’m a team that needs a HC my first two interviews are Ben Johnson (OC Detroit) and Flores. Flores as a DC would be just as good.

Hey I don't want to take over this thread with draft info. but I'm seeing Joey Porter. I will look for your break down  in the draft thread

3 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

HC my first two interviews are Ben Johnson (OC Detroit)

Ha Ha Ha

I saw the Lyons  play this morning and I wanted to know who was the right hand man for Detroit's (Johnson) OC!!!!!!!

He runs that play to setup the win we run tackle dive 2nd down and 20!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

13 hours ago, m haynes said:

Impresive however small school. I will add him to the list of players to watch.  Do you know if he's in any draft activities. EX SR Bowl, combine.

I will add more when I see him participating in other activities leading up to the draft. I just realized the clips shown also don't highlight is other talent as a good blocking TE. We can always use more blocking on our offensive line. "In pass protection he gave up 3 pressures and no sacks. As a pass blocker he gave up no pressures and no sacks."

5 hours ago, Iron_man said:

I will add more when I see him participating in other activities leading up to the draft. I just realized the clips shown also don't highlight is other talent as a good blocking TE. We can always use more blocking on our offensive line. "In pass protection he gave up 3 pressures and no sacks. As a pass blocker he gave up no pressures and no sacks."

Thanks, check out the Laporta from Iowa, TE factory.  He one I'm watching.  Also @Crimmage likes Dalton Kincaid who is more like Jonnu Smith, but can play!!

This is if BB is still in charge of the (terrible) offense scheme, basically telling Fat Matt what to do. A great pick would be All World Michael Mayer. He would fit perfectly with the current scheme.  He won't save it but would help tremendously for the overall passing game.

Note    That's not what I want to see at 14 or see this outdated scheme going forward. TE tough pill to swallow in the 1st but it sure beats a small school OG!!!!

Edited by m haynes

2 hours ago, m haynes said:

Thanks, check out the Laporta from Iowa, TE factory.  He one I'm watching.  Also @Crimmage likes Dalton Kincaid who is more like Jonnu Smith, but can play!!

This is if BB is still in charge of the (terrible) offense scheme, basically telling Fat Matt what to do. A great pick would be All World Michael Mayer. He would fit perfectly with the current scheme.  He won't save it but would help tremendously for the overall passing game.

Note    That's not what I want to see at 14 or see this outdated scheme going forward. TE tough pill to swallow in the 1st but it sure beats a small school OG!!!!

Kincaid is more of a poor mans Kelce, he's not nearly the athlete Jonnu is. I can also say much like Kelce he's not a blocker. He's a receiving TE. 

From the very little i've watched of Tucker ( highlights) he's a better athlete. If he's also an actual blocker, he's probably flying up the boards in Foxboro. Especially because I can guarantee they were saying a lot of "Oh, who is 85" while they were looking at Pierre Strongs tape. He's seen as a day 3 guy right now to many.. but if he blows up the combine could easily be a 3rd round pick.  

I would be very surprised if BB isn't the head coach next season. You don't go through as much as Kraft and Bill have without earning a lot of latitude (and boy is that being used up in droves).

That said, Kraft should make sure a couple of things happen this offseason. Lock up Jerod Mayo and Matt Groh. Need the two most talented minds in the building (non-nepotism/sycophant division) around for the long term, either as part of the ongoing Belichick era or as key cogs in a new staff that can maintain some semblance of organizational continuity. Obviously the ST and OC side of things, kill it with fire. For me I hope it's not O'Brien (it probably will be). Anything is better than the pile of crap they served up this season, but just an uninspiring option. 

And while I don't think it will happen, if Belichick chafes at some of the moves that need to be made, you'd surely have to listen if a team with a desperate owner came in and offered the farm for BB and friends. And with Sean Payton sitting right there who you could flip part of that compensation to go get.... that would be a really interesting decision that could come to a head pretty quickly.

4 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Kincaid is more of a poor mans Kelce, he's not nearly the athlete Jonnu is

Sorry I was thinking size and the way they could use him. I should of pointed that out.  More of a offensive weapon, the way I thought the Pats would use Smith.

2 hours ago, dhunt2402 said:

lot of latitude (and boy is that being used up in droves).

That had me laughing!!!

2 hours ago, dhunt2402 said:

For me I hope it's not O'Brien (it probably will be). Anything is better than the pile of crap they served up this season, but just an uninspiring option. 

Listening to the radio/ sport show.  You might not have to worry about  O'Brian . They said Titans fired thier  offensive coaches and BO gave Vrabel his 1st job in Texas. He would be perfect with the Titans.  Vrabel love 1970s football. Hand off right ,hand off left, do it again, than play action!!!