2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

3 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Sounds so simple but does Orlando even want to be a Jet. That is the biggest hurdle of them all. 

If we got Rodgers, why not?  It would certainly be the best move (besides QB) we could make this off season.  Hell, even Tomlinson may look better with Orlando at LT.  Orlando, draft a day 2 OC, let Mekhi and Mitchell battle for RT and we have the makings of a good OL.

27 minutes ago, xrade said:

If we got Rodgers, why not?  It would certainly be the best move (besides QB) we could make this off season.  Hell, even Tomlinson may look better with Orlando at LT.  Orlando, draft a day 2 OC, let Mekhi and Mitchell battle for RT and we have the makings of a good OL.

Brown coming back probably locks up LT. Orlando Brown will only play LT. Now obviously I'd choose Orlando over Duane but Duane is carrying a big cap number to be a back up for us. We still need a Center and a RT(possibly), two linebackers, 1 Safety, 3 Defensive Tackles(including Q), Huff or a replacement EDGE and moves at WR/RB depending on contracts and health. Let's not forget QB(losing picks to bring them in takes away a cheap replacement for other positions). 

Also factor in cash where Rodgers(if we get him) is due a lot of cash, Brown would have a huge signing bonus, QWill have a huge signing bonus and the FRP will have a huge signing bonus. Woody gonna have to shell out a ton of cash up front to a lot of guys in that scenario. 

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Brown coming back probably locks up LT. Orlando Brown will only play LT. Now obviously I'd choose Orlando over Duane but Duane is carrying a big cap number to be a back up for us. We still need a Center and a RT(possibly), two linebackers, 1 Safety, 3 Defensive Tackles(including Q), Huff or a replacement EDGE and moves at WR/RB depending on contracts and health. Let's not forget QB(losing picks to bring them in takes away a cheap replacement for other positions). 

Also factor in cash where Rodgers(if we get him) is due a lot of cash, Brown would have a huge signing bonus, QWill have a huge signing bonus and the FRP will have a huge signing bonus. Woody gonna have to shell out a ton of cash up front to a lot of guys in that scenario. 

I don't disagree, but it would be a great move to solidify the OL and I believe he would want to come here which was the gist of my post.  Regardless, like Bobby stated, he is probably going back to KC.

6 minutes ago, xrade said:

I don't disagree, but it would be a great move to solidify the OL and I believe he would want to come here which was the gist of my post. 

Of course, I think in a perfect a healthy Becton anchoring the Right side and Brown on the left would be amazing. 

29 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Of course, I think in a perfect a healthy Becton anchoring the Right side and Brown on the left would be amazing. 

I think JD could make it work $ wise, but it would be real tight assuming Orlando would be seeking $20M+.  And, yes, it would limit strengthening other areas. But I also believe the OL is the second most important position group just below QB.  I also believe that we are not quite there to being a SB contender.  Close, but I'd save my betting money and wait until next year.  So if we could get Brown even at the expense of a quality LB, S and DT I'd be all over it.  JD's attention to the OL, while admirable, has yet to bear fruit.  Bite the bullet and get that big time OT in his prime.  Enough dicking around.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

Sounds so simple but does Orlando even want to be a Jet. That is the biggest hurdle of them all. 

Its all about the money, the Jets would have the money, not have to draft a T and Brown would be locked up for the next 4-5 years. Cut Lawson's 15 mil per year and Brown could skate in. Lawson in no way will have the impact Brown will in protecting the QB and opening up holes for the running game.

3 minutes ago, Big T said:

Its all about the money, the Jets would have the money, not have to draft a T and Brown would be locked up for the next 4-5 years. Cut Lawson's 15 mil per year and Brown could skate in. Lawson in no way will have the impact Brown will in protecting the QB and opening up holes for the running game.

I was just looking at OTC.  It would take a lot.  Lawson alone ($15M) would give us our rookie draft signings plus a little more.  JD would really have to work some magic.  Remember, we only have 3 DT's on the roster and one of them wants a $20M payday and the other two have barely seen the field.  We need $ for whoever is our QB.  We also only have Mosley at LB unless you want to start Nas, Sherwood and Suratt.  The only backup iOL is Dru Samia.  We are also entering FA $2M over the cap.

The point is that it is not a pretty picture.  Hence why Saleh said they would be judicious in FA ie. they ain't going after high $ value targets.

8 hours ago, xrade said:

I was just looking at OTC.  It would take a lot.  Lawson alone ($15M) would give us our rookie draft signings plus a little more.  JD would really have to work some magic.  Remember, we only have 3 DT's on the roster and one of them wants a $20M payday and the other two have barely seen the field.  We need $ for whoever is our QB.  We also only have Mosley at LB unless you want to start Nas, Sherwood and Suratt.  The only backup iOL is Dru Samia.  We are also entering FA $2M over the cap.

The point is that it is not a pretty picture.  Hence why Saleh said they would be judicious in FA ie. they ain't going after high $ value targets.

G.B. will have to eat some of that contract and the Jets can work a new deal with A.R. over a 2 year period. As for Q they could tag him for this year. But the Jets could recoup 26 million by cutting Lawson and Brown. Restructuring other contracts as JD has said, he can move the numbers around. Giving A.R. a new deal say 100 million with a 50 million signing bonus and a salary of 25 million a year for 2 years.

13 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Wish Uncle Steve would buy the Jets.  Man knows how to spend.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NYJETS52 said:

Wish Uncle Steve would buy the Jets.  Man knows how to spend.

The Yanks have been spending for decades.  They only returned to dynastic form when George was suspended and the GM decided to keep his young  drafted talent.  Spending does not make a team a winner.  Being smart does.

3 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

And so it begins…..

Yup it is a deal. They are moving money around. I bet in the next few hours you will see some cuts too maybe a Lawson cut. Rodgers is coming and probably be come out by tonight what all the details are. I bet there is no first round pick being moved. I think a drop from 13 to 15 is part of the trade with a second round pick next year. I think it will be very cheap. I also think GB will eat some of the cap hit. This trade is looking more and more like a salary cap dump trade. GB wants to rebuild now not next year.