2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

3 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

He isn't as strong as Pete Carroll.  I think Saleh is loose on offensive philosophy right now because offense is stalling. If offense is sound, we can get better picture of Saleh's true nature.  Right now, offense is bad and he leans to defense for better chance to win.  Lions game destroyed Saleh's said philosophy.

He was doing it during the winning streak though. The preaching of running the ball, playing defense and strong special teams. 

The offense needs to have a bit of a leash where they can make some mistakes as long as they’re being aggressive.

1 minute ago, KingOfNewYork said:

How can you say this and then say you don’t think the issue was coaching or play calling? How can MLF not do him any favors but also the issue not be the things MLF were responsible for.

How can we all not come to the conclusion that Zach Wilson played bad and the Jets did a poor job with his development? The inconsistencies in his game from snap to snap, confusion for the entire offense, poor offensive line play, destroying his confidence(thanks Garrett), etc…

Why does it have to be one or the other. No offense but it's an excuse for Wilson's poor play, instead of just saying he's garbage. If he was even below average at QB it would've shown even with a MLF. Instead we got garbage on top of garbage. I will sit here all day an agree that MLF was garbage and that he did Wilson no favors. But that alone doesn't make a QB trash. Not just not look good. Literally trash. Like worst QB in the league for 2 years trash.

If there were tons of factors besides just MLF that could excuse Wilson's poor play, I'd be more open to being optimistic on him. But show me a game in his career with good WRs, TEs, OL play and RBs out there that he looked good? I don't care what the system is. When you have Wilson, Moore, Davis, Conklin, Uzo, Hall, Carter and decent OL play... there should be good QB play. I don't care what the system is. Yet he didn't. We won games with those other players in spite of Wilson at QB, never bc of him. 

6 minutes ago, xrade said:

He had to lean on the D because we had no O. Get a decent OL,QB, and OC and let’s see what he does.

It’s his philosophy it doesn’t change based on what he has on the other side of the ball. Bowles was the same way that’s why he fired Johnny Morton because he was throwing the ball too much lol. Defensive minded head coaches are very conservative by nature. Rex was the same way. 

I myself would rather have Mike white than some of these names you guys are throwing out like Tannehill, Jimmy G. I like Baker and Carr more than Lamar. Lamar is going to cost more in draft picks and money than most would like. He will never play a full season so no thanks. Baker and Carr can play a full season and throw a better ball than Lamar. In the end I expect JD to make a stunning move like Kyler Murray, Kirk Cousins, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers type person. They want a big name in here that will move this O. 

2 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

He was doing it during the winning streak though. The preaching of running the ball, playing defense and strong special teams. 

The offense needs to have a bit of a leash where they can make some mistakes as long as they’re being aggressive.

Yeah.. Hall's progression was there. Everything fell apart after Hall and Vera Tucker' out of season injuries.

5 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Well, Carr flunked in McDaniels' system.

If a 61% completion percentage, 3,522 yards, 24 TDs 14 INTs in 15 games is flunking, I'll take that all day. And oh yeah... that was all pretty much without his 2nd best receiving option out there in Waller pretty much the whole time he was the starter as well us just garbage defensive play. That did him no favors.

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Why does it have to be one or the other. No offense but it's an excuse for Wilson's poor play, instead of just saying he's garbage. If he was even below average at QB it would've shown even with a MLF. Instead we got garbage on top of garbage. I will sit here all day an agree that MLF was garbage and that he did Wilson no favors. But that alone doesn't make a QB trash. Not just not look good. Literally trash. Like worst QB in the league for 2 years trash.

What I’m saying is you just posted that you can’t blame the coaching and then you said MLF did him no favors. Those don’t add up.

As for his play, like I again said everyone knows he plays bad. You and others don’t analyze why the results were what they were and how they can improve beyond “Derek Carr is him”

I know it’s too much to ask guys to analyze play or have discussions beyond “Wilson is trash” but like if we aren’t gonna analyze the play and we’re just gonna criticize the result (unless it’s positive and then we’ll say it was positive in spite of Zach) it’s just nonsense. 

For example Zach has inconsistent footwork, sometimes it’s good, sometimes it’s bad. When it’s good and he’s on time with his reads he’s completing passes, when it’s bad it’s the opposite. What plays are they good on? What plays are they bad on? How often are we calling these concepts? How can he improve his footwork snap to snap? Guys can’t answer that lol it’s just Wilson sucks or trade for Carr lol 

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

If a 61% completion percentage, 3,522 yards, 24 TDs 14 INTs in 15 games is flunking, I'll take that all day. And oh yeah... that was all pretty much without his 2nd best receiving option out there in Waller pretty much the whole time he was the starter as well us just garbage defensive play. That did him no favors.

He didn't win Mcdaniels' confidence.  That is flunking.

32 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

He chose the locker room over winning already. We went with likable over results. I’ll always stand on that because you don’t make a change when you’re winning games. Like how do you make a change because the new player gives you the best chance to win and then go 1-6 and only score 2 touchdowns in the last 4 games and those came from the guy you benched. I wasn’t on the board after thanksgiving but I know that had to be frustrating considering what Saleh, Garrett and the fans sold on Mike White.

Zach got worse as the season went on.  He didn't choose the locker room over winning.  We had an inept QB room and OC.  I'd rather go with White, who the team backed, over Wilson and then have embarrassing losses from giving up.

33 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

How do you guys feel about the Saleh philosophy on offense of playing not to lose and leaning on the defense? Do you think it’s detrimental to the offense since they’re essentially given little room to be aggressive?

Yes and I like complimentary football.  Not in the sense of we need to run the ball and have a game manager on offense so we don't F up while the defense does the heavy lifting.  I mean in the sense of our philosophy and intensity should be the same on both sides.  Explosive and aggressive on both sides, which is what this league favors now a days.  Doesn't matter how many yards we give up.  If we hold teams to FGs, get huge sacks and create takeaways that's fine if we get beat now and then.  Same thing on offense.  I'd rather go down swinging then run the same run plays for 1-2 yards a carry putting our QB in 3rd and long every drive.  Take shots.

24 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

How can you say this and then say you don’t think the issue was coaching or play calling? How can MLF not do him any favors but also the issue not be the things MLF were responsible for.

How can we all not come to the conclusion that Zach Wilson played bad and the Jets did a poor job with his development? The inconsistencies in his game from snap to snap, confusion for the entire offense, poor offensive line play, destroying his confidence(thanks Garrett), etc…

That all played a part to be sure. I also think the OL had a huge affect on Zach being very nervous and panicking. He seemed to panic more in year 2 than year 1.

I truly believe that a new OC that will play to his strengths (whatever they are), improved OL and at least a year to sit will turn him into a QB that can compete for a starting role. 

7 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

What I’m saying is you just posted that you can’t blame the coaching and then you said MLF did him no favors. Those don’t add up.

As for his play, like I again said everyone knows he plays bad. You and others don’t analyze why the results were what they were and how they can improve beyond “Derek Carr is him”

I know it’s too much to ask guys to analyze play or have discussions beyond “Wilson is trash” but like if we aren’t gonna analyze the play and we’re just gonna criticize the result (unless it’s positive and then we’ll say it was positive in spite of Zach) it’s just nonsense. 

For example Zach has inconsistent footwork, sometimes it’s good, sometimes it’s bad. When it’s good and he’s on time with his reads he’s completing passes, when it’s bad it’s the opposite. What plays are they good on? What plays are they bad on? How often are we calling these concepts? How can he improve his footwork snap to snap? Guys can’t answer that lol it’s just Wilson sucks or trade for Carr lol 

100% it adds up. So you're at your job and you're doing your job like trash but have a bad supervisor. That excuses your poor work? No you still go out and do the best you can in spite of the poor supervision. And that will show. regardless of what your supervisor has drawn up for you.

Point being that even with a bad OC there should be ok QB play at times from Wilson. yet there was none. Yet there's still people like you that still thinks he's this phenomenal talent from an across the body throw, with no pads on, indoor with no defenders from 2 years ago. Or that he was lights out at a weak BYU team who played no body when he had good OL play, WRs, TEs and RBs that were significantly better than what he was going against.

The kids likelihood of being a totally opposite QB from what we've actually seen is about as far fetched as it gets. Throw the names out there like Allen, Manning, etc out there all you want. They were leaps and bounds more developed than what Wilson is right now. Literally as I said the guy cant even throw the ball with his feet correct. never mind be a decent QB. He makes poor throw after poor throw guys that play in the SEC have mastered by the time they're a freshman. 

Just now, Bobby816 said:

As if McDaniel is an opinion we need to value

Well, we have Saleh and new OC whoever he will be.   How the hell do we know that Carr will work out well with Saleh and new OC?  Oh look at statistic, we are good. Don't worry, blah blah blah.

We don't watch Carr playing game every week and there are a few angry Raider fans who whined so much about his frequency of 3 down and out.  Our Wilson has same problem.