2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

6 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Carr completed 58% of his 3rd down passes, 7 touchdowns, 4 picks, took 10 sacks. 

Wilson complete 50% of his 3rd down passes, 4 touchdowns, 4 picks, took 10 sacks. 

Other stats that stand out

Under 2.5 seconds

Carr 61.6%, 11 touchdowns, 7 picks, 80.9 passer rating

Wilson 64.8%, 5 touchdowns, 3 picks, 88.6 passer rating

Trailing

Carr under 2 minutes 41% completions, underr 4 minutes 38% completions

Wilson under 2 minutes 63% completions, under 4 minutes 64% completions

First down

Carr 61%

Wilson 60%

Completed Air Yards

Carr 6.4

Wilson 6.3

Intended Air Yards

Carr 9.3

Wilson 9.2

Air Yards Differential

Carr -2.9

Wilson -2.9

INT%

Carr 2.7%

Wilson 2.8%

Carr beats him out slightly in most areas but the additional passing metrics above show there isn't much disparity. Where Carr helps himself likely is knowing when to hit the checkdown (does wonders for a completion percentage). The biggest difference is Carr simply played more but the numbers are the numbers. Obviously, we'll have a better assessment after watching some film. 

You're seriously comparing the two? Take ANY season from Derek Carr's career and it's arguably the best QB season we've had in franchise history. I'm not even joking. Aside from Fitzpatrick year you could take Carr's absolute worst NFL season and it would be the best or at very worst, 2nd best statistical performance we've ever had at QB. We could go as far as to compare their first 2 seasons in the league if you'd like.

Carr thru 2 NFL Seasons:

32 Starts

7257 passing yards, 53 TD, 25 int, 60% completion 

Over a 17 game season this is 3842 yards, 27 td, 13 int

Zach Wilson:

22 Starts

4022 Passing yards, 15 td, 18 int, 55% completion

Over a 17 game season this is 3107 yards, 11 td, 13 int

Derek Carr's top receiver in 2014? Andre Holmes. He really didn't have much of anything around him. They got him amari cooper after that just like we got zach Garrett wilson and guess what? He improved, unlike Zach.

Oh it's just 2 years right? In year 3 Carr had a legitimate shot at MVP until he broke his leg at the end of the season. He finished 3rd in voting. You're out of your mind if you think he could even come close to getting MVP consideration in year 3.

In order for zach wilson to even be CLOSE as good as derek carr it would take an absolute miracle.

Who you should really be comparing him to is another raiders QB by the name of Jemarcus Russell thru 2 years

Here are Wilson's #s once again:

22 Starts

Over a 17 game season this is 3107 yards, 11 td, 13 int, 8-14 record

Jamarcus Russell thru 2 years:

16 Starts

2795 Yards, 15 TDs, 12 INT, 54% completion, 5-12 record 54% Completion

Over a 17 Game season this is 2970 yards, 16 TD, 13 INT

And mind you this is in an era where NFL teams passed FAR less. Russell's #1 WR at that time? Johnnie Lee Higgins whoever the hall that is.

Wilson is approaching all time bust territory. There has not been a single qb in nfl history that has looked this bad thru 2 years and went on to do anything to my knowledge. Comparing him to Carr is absolutely wild 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Greene N White said:

You're seriously comparing the two? Take ANY season from Derek Carr's career and it's arguably the best QB season we've had in franchise history. I'm not even joking. Aside from Fitzpatrick year you could take Carr's absolute worst NFL season and it would be the best or at very worst, 2nd best statistical performance we've ever had at QB. We could go as far as to compare their first 2 seasons in the league if you'd like.

Carr thru 2 NFL Seasons:

32 Starts

7257 passing yards, 53 TD, 25 int, 60% completion 

Over a 17 game season this is 3842 yards, 27 td, 13 int

Zach Wilson:

22 Starts

Over a 17 game season this is 3107 yards, 11 td, 13 int

Derek Carr's top receiver in 2014? Andre Holmes. He really didn't have much of anything around him. They got him amari cooper after that just like we got zach Garrett wilson and guess what? He improved, unlike Zach.

Oh it's just 2 years right? In year 3 Carr had a legitimate shot at MVP until he broke his leg at the end of the season. He finished 3rd in voting. You're out of your mind if you think he could even come close to getting MVP consideration in year 3.

In order for zach wilson to even be CLOSE as good as derek carr it would take an absolute miracle.

Who you should really be comparing him to is another raiders QB by the name of Jemarcus Russell thru 2 years

Here are Wilson's #s once again:

22 Starts

Over a 17 game season this is 3107 yards, 11 td, 13 int, 8-14 record

Jamarcus Russell thru 2 years:

16 Starts

2795 Yards, 15 TDs, 12 INT, 54% completion, 5-12 record 54% Completion

Over a 17 Game season this is 2970 yards, 16 TD, 13 INT

And mind you this is in an era where NFL teams passed FAR less. Russell's #1 WR at that time? Johnnie Lee Higgins whoever the hall that is.

Wilson is approaching all time bust territory. There has not been a single qb in nfl history that has looked this bad thru 2 years and went on to do anything to my knowledge. Comparing him to Carr is absolutely wild 

Chill Out.  He answered my question.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greene N White said:

You're seriously comparing the two? Take ANY season from Derek Carr's career and it's arguably the best QB season we've had in franchise history.

I answered a question. Used Zach’s numbers a benchmark and as you can see their metrics were close in a ton of areas. Carr beat out Zach in some, Zach beat him out in others. 

As for your second point I’ll just point to last season.

7 minutes ago, Greene N White said:

What metrics? Your cherry picked stats to somehow make it look like Zach Wilson wasn’t the worst qb in the league when anyone with a set of eyes could see he was. 

I didn’t cherry pick anything. Those are their next gen stats I listed them all. Along with their 3rd down efficiency, which Zach was worse in. I added their <2.5 which is important since we want the QB getting the ball out quick, it showed when Zach was quick and decisive he was better. He was also better when trailing, which is important. Someone already posted Carr’s under pressure stats so no need to post those. I mean the numbers are the numbers and like I said I won’t really have a clear understanding until I look at his throws, which I haven’t yet. And I’m sure you won’t. 

Also showing that he was more efficient in under 2.5 seconds isn’t cherry picking. It’s what every fan wanted from him because he was so good when he was quick and decisive. That should be the goal, to get him doing that more. Along with giving him a clean pocket, where his numbers were also better.

I understand those aren’t solutions y’all want to consider.

29 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Also showing that he was more efficient in under 2.5 seconds isn’t cherry picking. It’s what every fan wanted from him because he was so good when he was quick and decisive. That should be the goal, to get him doing that more. Along with giving him a clean pocket, where his numbers were also better.

Any chance do they have splits or game logs? Would love to see if those numbers differed pre Pats and post Pats. 

45 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Yeah but nfl teams know the second they send pressure he crumbles. That is unacceptable at this level of football. We’re talking about a grown man playing at the professional level here not a kid playing high school ball. I assume you watched the jags game and saw what happened right? And how it was all the lines fault? But here’s the thing streveler came in the game but didn’t get sacked once if I recall correctly. I’m not defending the line whatsoever but it can mean 2 things. Either #1 the line didn’t want to block for him which wouldn’t be shocking but I don’t think that’s it. Or #2 he just completely lost all confidence. Imo after the 3 pick New England game Zach was completely second guessing himself all season and was never the same. he had opportunities to get out of the pocket in that Jacksonville game but chose to just lay down when pressure came at him. His ability to escape pressure was supposed to be one of his strengths but I’m telling you after watching that Jacksonville game I truly believe it’s over and there’s no coming back. But as a jets fan for the past 20 years of my life I was so frustrated at his performance that I would be truly upset if there was any possibility of him starting next year (which I honestly believe there isn’t). You weren’t screaming at the tv during that game? It was an embarrassment watching him.