2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

Easy to connect the dots with Rodgers and Favre for lots of reasons. Both in GB forever and coincidentally both were/are 39 and might move on.

The part that's easy to forget with Favre when he was here was how we were arguably the best team in the NFL before he hurt his shoulder 11 games in. We were 8-3 at that point and after went 1-4 bc he tried toughing it out. And it cost us. Coincidentally apparently Rodgers did that with his hand most of this season.

For me a 39yr old Rodgers > 39yr old Favre. And I think our roster is better as well than it was in 2008. We had Jones at RB who I think a healthy Hall can be every bit as good as him. I think we do need to upgrade the OL. The 2008 OL was really good. So they have us there. And at WR we had Cotchery and Cole. Which I'll take GW and Moore over them all day. And that's without us probably upgrading from Davis like we'll likely do. I also think our defense is better now. Revis was there but Cro wasn't. So I give our secondary the edge now. The front 7 wasn't pressuring the QB a ton then either. Ellis had 8 sacks and Thomas with 7 as our leaders. So we have a better DL line now IMO. And while some don't like Mosley, our LB crew is better now as well. Although there's unknowns there with Quincy and Kwon as FAs.

The other thing that just came out this morning is how Rodgers contract is drawn up.

Rodgers base salary for 2023 in 1.1mill. but he has a 58.3 bonus attached to it. So that's where the figure some have seen of his due close to 60mill comes from.

BUTTTTTTTTTTTTT........... a team can prorate that bonus over 4 years at a cap hit of 14.5mill for 2023.

In 2024 it's similar he's due a base of 2.2mill with a 47mill bonus. That number can be prorated over 3 years at 15.6mill. 

So what does that all mean?

You can get him for 2 years with a cap hit of 15.8 for 2023, 32.5 in 2024 his years after that the numbers are real high for dead cap if he does retire. But with cap rising every year it's doable. To really be potentially an elite team for 2 years or maybe more.

This also might be why GB wants a higher price tag for him. Bc teams have the flexibility to not have to pay him a ton for 2 years.

The thing with Rodgers is he cant be had until after June 1st. So not sure how that sits with the fan base of us maybe doing nothing at QB until then. That'd be every QB avenue is done by then. FA, the draft, etc. So to us as a fan base it would look like for 10-12 weeks once FA starts and the draft that we think Wilson is it. Which IMO would have 95% of this fanbase going nuts.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The part that's easy to forget with Favre when he was here was how we were arguably the best team in the NFL before he hurt his shoulder 11 games in.

I do not remember winning the SB that year and if Rodgers, like Favre, is one and done what's the point?  I get that having a talent like Rodgers (or like Rodgers used to have) is enticing.  But at what cost?  Give me someone who isn't so flaky and we know will be around for a couple of years while our homegrown QB matures (whoever that may be).

Now if you could tell me that we would be SB favorites just by getting Rodgers, sure, lets try it.  But we would not be.  We still need the OL fixed and please don't say we will because so far we haven't.  Hall coming off his injury may take time to get going.  It took Barkley two years.

NBC Sports' Peter King reports Jets owner Woody Johnson would "happily" acquire Aaron Rodgers in a trade. 

This is not a surprise but is being sent out right now. I just think too many things add up here. Rodgers comes here in 23 and makes a deep playoff run and in 2024 makes it to the Super Bowl and is done after 2 years. 

13 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Trading 2 first rounders for Rodgers would be a mistake. Imagine a 40 year old Rodgers running for his life behind our OL.

That first round pick could be used to get a OT. 

We need OL badly. ANd we have a lot of UFA on defense.

Rodgers comes here and brings home a Super Bowl win those draft picks don't mean a thing to me. I want a Super Bowl and Rodgers is the only guy that gives the Jets a chance in the next 2 years period. You take that chance no matter what. I don't think the OL is that bad when you bring back AVT and Becton. I think Becton comes in and locks down the LT spot. He looks like he wants it bad now. AVT can play RT or G. Heck if Mitchell comes back and does great at RT like he did in the past you have your 2 T down and a All Pro G in AVT. Olusegun Oluwatimi from Mich at center would be a great add and you can get him in the third round. Then you can pick up a G in FA and the line would be a massive upgrade. 

1 hour ago, NYJets4716 said:

Trading 2 first rounders for Rodgers would be a mistake. Imagine a 40 year old Rodgers running for his life behind our OL.

That first round pick could be used to get a OT. 

We need OL badly. ANd we have a lot of UFA on defense.

Except we'd still have our picks this year. He'd be a post June 1st trade. Which is after the draft. So whatever picks that are given up for Rodgers for a team are the 2024 draft and beyond. So in theory we could go draft an OT in Round 1 and draft a C in Round 2 or 3 and have a good OL this season. And with cuts would actually still have cap room to make other moves if we defer Rodgers bonuses over 4 years like his contract allows.

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Except we'd still have our picks this year. He'd be a post June 1st trade. Which is after the draft. So whatever picks that are given up for Rodgers for a team are the 2024 draft and beyond. So in theory we could go draft an OT in Round 1 and draft a C in Round 2 or 3 and have a good OL this season. And with cuts would actually still have cap room to make other moves if we defer Rodgers bonuses over 4 years like his contract allows.

Are the Jets really going to wait until June to figure out the QB situation? 

1 hour ago, xrade said:

I do not remember winning the SB that year and if Rodgers, like Favre, is one and done what's the point?  I get that having a talent like Rodgers (or like Rodgers used to have) is enticing.  But at what cost?  Give me someone who isn't so flaky and we know will be around for a couple of years while our homegrown QB matures (whoever that may be).

Now if you could tell me that we would be SB favorites just by getting Rodgers, sure, lets try it.  But we would not be.  We still need the OL fixed and please don't say we will because so far we haven't.  Hall coming off his injury may take time to get going.  It took Barkley two years.

Few things. As I stated we were arguably a SB favorite before Favre got injured. Most teams lose a HOF QB they're not SB contenders anymore. Favre played (like Rodgers played this year with a broken thumb) with a torn shoulder to finish that season. That's why we went  1-4 after he got hurt. So to say it didn't win us a super bowl is true. But you're totally neglecting as to why. You cant predict injuries.

I'm not here screaming we should trade for Rodgers. I'm just showing what the money would be like. And what adding a QB to a worse team than we have right now, did for us 15 years ago with a similar situation play wise (not contract and trade wise).

And yes I firmly believe that if we traded for Rodgers still made a few moves in FA and had the draft picks as well.... we are super bowl contenders 100%.

How about that it also establishes a winning culture for the organization again? Getting these young players used to winning regularly and hate losing is a great quality to imbed in them at a young age. 

3 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Are the Jets really going to wait until June to figure out the QB situation? 

I'm not sure. That's why I said it would be hard to do. It would be a hard sell to hear Woody, JD, Saleh, the new OC try to tell the fan base that they're comfortable with Zach as the starting QB for nearly 4 moths post SB.

18 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

And yes I firmly believe that if we traded for Rodgers still made a few moves in FA and had the draft picks as well.... we are super bowl contenders 100%.

We will never agree on that.  Moving on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We were 7-4 with a young team that had garbage QB play. Injuries and even worse QB play derailed us.

We have a QB.... we're contenders. 

Wishful thinking and assuming all things remain equal. Parity, injuries, defenses in the league being generally volatile. It’s a young team. Very questionable HC, we don’t even know who the OC is going to be. Teams that are coached well and close to being contenders find a way to win a game during a 6 game season ending skid. All the blame can’t be thrown on MLF alone. I don’t see it, agree to disagree.