2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

1 minute ago, Sandwhich2 said:

There really is not that much smoke. All of the smoke is just saying things that *could* happen or theorizing/speculating. None of Rodger's comments were indicative of anything. The guys just going on a talk show and saying whatever the hell comes to his brain and is notorious for toying with media that love to run with wild speculative stories.

That being said, if it did happen I can definitely get on board with Rodgers at a certain price. I understand fully that there's a possibility he's only here for one year, but having a respectable offense and having a legitimate run at the playoffs would do wonders for the morale of the organization. It would also ensure that Douglas and Saleh remain for a bit longer, which to me is a big positive as I am a believer in their philosophies. 

Yes we'll be in a position of needing a new QB in the coming years, but at least we'll be an attractive destination for once, with players that know they can win and a stable coaching situation.

Obviously if Rodgers comes in and sucks then we're screwed but the same can be said about anyone we bring in .

Send a 2nd this year and a conditional pick next year that could become a first if he doesn't retire or leads them to a championship game and I'm in. I think the two first round pick thing is a little crazy considering his age 

I’ll listen all day to how Rodgers isn’t coming here.

What makes 0 sense to me is the line of thinking that if he does come here, we aren’t a contender.

Also I keep seeing people say they’re not giving up 2 1st for him. That’s the “reported” asking price “maybe”

He also can’t get traded until after June 1st so it wouldn’t be any picks this draft. So if you look at it that way…. We trade for him snd let’s say we lose in the afccg… we’re trading the 30th pick for him. Not the 13th.

11 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

What makes 0 sense to me is the line of thinking that if he does come here, we aren’t a contender.

Also I keep seeing people say they’re not giving up 2 1st for him. That’s the “reported” asking price “maybe”

He also can’t get traded until after June 1st so it wouldn’t be any picks this draft. So if you look at it that way…. We trade for him snd let’s say we lose in the afccg… we’re trading the 30th pick for him. Not the 13th.

Having a full offseason and draft and giving up 2024 versus giving up both 2023 and 2024 is a big difference. 

17 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I'd be absolutely shocked if a flat two first round picks is the deal. That's being floated amount there on purpose to drive up demand.

This could all also be the Jets getting used to drive up bargaining prices with another time like what happened with Kirk. We have no idea.

Rodgers will be 40 by the end of the season, his numbers dropped substantially from his B2B MVP seasons. However, he's still a good Quarterback the thing is knowing just how much of that Rodgers we remember is still in there. The 12 interceptions last year stands out because he's rarely been a QB who's thrown that many picks. His highest totals being 2 of his first 3 seasons with 13 and 11 picks. His last 5 years prior to last year were 6, 2, 4, 5 and 4.

I think it's a move you have to make though if you can. For one it gives us a shot at legitimacy, puts Saleh on notice to win, gives Zach a chance to watch the guy he wants to be day in and day out and if it all fails you wipe your hands and start over. 

13 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Rodgers will be 40 by the end of the season, his numbers dropped substantially from his B2B MVP seasons. However, he's still a good Quarterback the thing is knowing just how much of that Rodgers we remember is still in there. The 12 interceptions last year stands out because he's rarely been a QB who's thrown that many picks. His highest totals being 2 of his first 3 seasons with 13 and 11 picks. His last 5 years prior to last year were 6, 2, 4, 5 and 4.

I think it's a move you have to make though if you can. For one it gives us a shot at legitimacy, puts Saleh on notice to win, gives Zach a chance to watch the guy he wants to be day in and day out and if it all fails you wipe your hands and start over. 

He played the whole season with a broken thumb. Is that not being factored in?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sandwhich2 said:

Yes we'll be in a position of needing a new QB in the coming years, but at least we'll be an attractive destination for once, with players that know they can win and a stable coaching situation.

We lived this with the Favre thing.  How did that work out?  What is the plan for QB in 2024? It is this type of short sighted thinking that has doomed this franchise for decades.  We finally have a GM that has a longer term view in place and fans want to go back to what has caused this franchise to suck forever.

If I could believe that Rodgers would be here for two years and Zach would be ready to take over, then I'd be all on board with this.  However, the probability is real low that Rodgers will last beyond 2023 and that Zach will do a 180.

As for attractiveness, winning cures that and not just for one season.  Players and agents aren't stupid.  They would see what is going on.  Beyond that OT that went to KC, I am not sure who definitively turned down the Jets because it is not attractive.  Players may not want to play in this geographical region but that has nothing to do with the team dynamics. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He played the whole season with a broken thumb. Is that not being factored in?

no.  He broke his thumb in final play against Giants on week 5.   The reason his numbers are down was he entered 2022 season without go to guy WR on the roster.  Watson showed up after week 7 or around that and got 3 100 yard games.  Lazard had one 100 yard and was good for 3rd down situation at most of time.

Broken thumb may affect his accuracy but not scoring factor.

12 minutes ago, xrade said:

We lived this with the Favre thing.  How did that work out?  What is the plan for QB in 2024? It is this type of short sighted thinking that has doomed this franchise for decades.  We finally have a GM that has a longer term view in place and fans want to go back to what has caused this franchise to suck forever.

If I could believe that Rodgers would be here for two years and Zach would be ready to take over, then I'd be all on board with this.  However, the probability is real low that Rodgers will last beyond 2023 and that Zach will do a 180.

As for attractiveness, winning cures that and not just for one season.  Players and agents aren't stupid.  They would see what is going on.  Beyond that OT that went to KC, I am not sure who definitively turned down the Jets because it is not attractive.  Players may not want to play in this geographical region but that has nothing to do with the team dynamics. 

How does trading for Rodgers alter us drafting a QB in the mid rounds and developing him behind Rodgers for 2 years?

15 minutes ago, xrade said:

It worked out great! We made a HC change but we became an attractive destination for FAs and built a team that made deep playoff runs! The years following Favre were by far the best years we've had since!

This Franchise has made numerous long term investments in the QB position over the last 10 years and they've all failed. They've finally built a roster that can succeed with a good QB so go get a good QB. It's really that simple. I get your long-term concerns but literally doesn't matter at all if we head in to the season with like Jacoby Brissett and we are bad again and the whole staff is fired and everything gets reset again.

It would be much easier in 2024 to either attract a new QB or develop a new QB if we demonstrably have a good offensive cast in 2023.

Edited by Sandwhich2

21 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

no.  He broke his thumb in final play against Giants on week 5.   The reason his numbers are down was he entered 2022 season without go to guy WR on the roster.  Watson showed up after week 7 or around that and got 3 100 yard games.  Lazard had one 100 yard and was good for 3rd down situation at most of time.

Broken thumb may affect his accuracy but not scoring factor.

So he played 12 games with a broken thumb. And that shouldn’t afffect scoring?

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Because you are still speculating at the end of the day... there's a VERY good likelihood that 40 year old Rodgers is a shell of his old self and isn't an elite QB anymore that can singlehandedly keep his team above .500 and make a playoff push. I think you're living in the past a bit. 

5 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Because you are still speculating at the end of the day... there's a VERY good likelihood that 40 year old Rodgers is a shell of his old self and isn't an elite QB anymore that can singlehandedly keep his team above .500 and make a playoff push. I think you're living in the past a bit. 

Would you say the chances of Rodgers still being good are higher than Carr being better with the Jets than he was with LV?

I'd say that's an easy yes. I don't see an option other than Lamar that is more likely to succeed with this Jets team. Sure Carr could end up being here for multiple years but he also very likely won't be good enough.

Edited by Sandwhich2
Oakland lol. Maybe I'm living in the past