2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Derek Carr is probably the best potential FA signing, and he's going to cost less in terms of draft picks (assuming he's not released) than Rodgers or Lamar Jackson.  But he also provides the least amount of upside.

I disagree with this sentiment.  Rodgers will most likely be one and done.  How does having one year of Rodgers offer more upside than several years of Carr?  Guarantee me a SB this season and I am on board or guarantee me that he will be here for more than a year and I am still on board.  The probability that either of those things happening are low.  Let's also not so easily dismiss his un-Rodgers like season this year.  Maybe it was because of the players he is surrounded with.  But maybe it is because he is losing it.

Taking all that into consideration and I believe Carr has more upside.

7 minutes ago, xrade said:

I disagree with this sentiment.  Rodgers will most likely be one and done.  How does having one year of Rodgers offer more upside than several years of Carr?  Guarantee me a SB this season and I am on board or guarantee me that he will be here for more than a year and I am still on board.  The probability that either of those things happening are low.  Let's also not so easily dismiss his un-Rodgers like season this year.  Maybe it was because of the players he is surrounded with.  But maybe it is because he is losing it.

Taking all that into consideration and I believe Carr has more upside.

Carr is just like Kurt Cousins years ago when everyone wanted him. How many Super Bowl and NFC championship games has the Vikings been in since. Rodgers will be around for 2 years. He is not giving up 150 mill. He will never make that money again and will play until he is 40. 

4 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

If Rodgers is only sticking around for the money is that really the guy we want leading us?

Not saying it’s true but that’s not a reason to be convinced. 

Im wondering just how much our goals align with his.

He is about to earn more than 105m for 2 years.   If a team decides to get cute with reducing his new money, Rodgers can quit easily.  If a team coverts his either or both option bonus then it becomes major cap headache for that team if Rodgers calls it quits.   

Very dangerous gamble right there.

51 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

If Rodgers is only sticking around for the money is that really the guy we want leading us?

Not saying it’s true but that’s not a reason to be convinced. 

Im wondering just how much our goals align with his.

Dude is too competitive. When he’s out there playing dude wants to win. Not worried about him the player at all. It’s more wrapping my head around the cost for him. Something that unfortunately I think Woody will chime in and say give them what they want. Hopefully JD is a voice of reason and pulls some sort of magic like he does a lot in trades to make it not as bad. I fully expect conditions to the trade with his age.

28 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Unless Hackett occupies OC and QB coach, I think Jets should give Scott Turner a look as QB coach.

Granted, Turner isn't part of the shanahan tree but he is able to make the most out of crappy qbs for Commanders. He can do the wonders for Jets' qb situation. 

I think we for sure still bring in someone still as QB coach

2 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

Carr is just like Kurt Cousins years ago when everyone wanted him. How many Super Bowl and NFC championship games has the Vikings been in since. Rodgers will be around for 2 years. He is not giving up 150 mill. He will never make that money again and will play until he is 40. 

I am not saying Carr is great.  I am saying multiple years of Carr is better than one year of a declining Rodgers.  And playing until he is 40 is my problem with him - he turns 40 in December.  And how many SB's has Rodgers won since Cousins or Carr entered the league?  Yup, same amount 0.  I will repeat myself and say that if I can be certain Rodgers would be around for more than one year, I'd be a little less negative about acquiring him.  He has been playing the retirement card for two years now.  I just don't trust he will live up to his end of the bargain.