2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

9 hours ago, Big T said:

Taking on the contract is favor enough for GB, but trading a third rounder that turns into a second rounder if they make the playoffs next year would be good comp. If the Jets should somehow make the SB then the compensation could rise to a number 1 next year.

Except it's not.  Eating $40M in dead cap isn't something any team wants.  If you want Rodgers, you're going to have to pay for him.

8 hours ago, xrade said:

You're in sales, aren't you?  You can attribute Rodgers less than Rodgers-like season all you want on the team, but it is also quite possible that Rodgers at age 39 is just declining.  Why else would all the reports about GB wanting to get rid of him be floated out there?

2 out of last 3 years were MVP seasons.  The one non-MVP season had a revolving door on the OL and two of his top 3 WRs were rookies, which Rodgers is known to not have chemistry with.  There's enough reason to believe that a trade leads to a highly motivated Rodgers.  I'd imagine that if he's traded, he's probably going to be closer to MVP-caliber Rodgers than what he was this past season.

As for the reports about Green Bay wanting to get him out of there, I think those are being vastly overstated.  I think the Packers have significant amount of confidence that Jordan Love is ready to play, and the longer the Packers hold onto him the more cumbersome his contract becomes.  If the Packers can get significant draft capital in return for Rodgers, I don't think it's hard to believe that Love and the pick(s) would be more valuable especially if you think that Love would buy into the system more than Rodgers.

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Don’t have the time right now to break it all down for you…… but we’re 100% a SB contender with Rodgers.

Acquiring Rodgers will mean Jets to cover 17m cap for him in 2023 without voidable years. That would make 19m over the cap.

We have to restructure Lawson, Mosley, and whoever to get under the cap.  Wait a minute they suck, cut them and we don't have good picks to make up for those spots.

We don't have C and RT entering new league year.

Oh I forget, we need to modify some more on roster cap to cover picks and depth.

Are you sure that after having Rodgers, we are complete team? 

Holy Moley!  Rodgers call it quits after 2023 season, we suck up 3/4 of his dead money in 2024.

Did we forget about Vinny T?  We had him and Bill Parcels smelled SB and Vinny T knocked out of the season by injury.  Jets crashed.   We had Favre.  Whoo!!  Whoo!! Favre suffered arm injury and played thru it. Jets crashed and burned.   That is okay beacuse Rodgers who had 2 broken collars, thumb and leg in his career will change that.  

Forget it.

35 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Nope, it makes you a slightly below average team, not a terrible team. Doom and gloom? The team hasn’t made the playoffs in 12 seasons. I trust my gut when it comes to the Jets.

Again, I’m not saying he doesn’t make us better. But he doesn’t make us a Superbowl contender. If you want to believe that, that’s fine. Serve me my crow if they get past the divisional round, I’ll be happily waiting. We can do a friendly wager if your so confident.

You're hurting your own argument.  You are of the mindset that Jimmy G gets us to the playoffs with our flawed team but are saying you'll eat crow if Rodgers gets us past the divisional round.  So Jimmy gets us to the playoffs but Rodgers doesn't get us past the divisional round which by default means Jimmy=Rodgers which is massively flawed logic.  

If Jimmy makes this team a playoff team than Rodgers elevates this team even more because he's notably better even at 39.  How much better is debatable for sure but championship game better?  If that's the case then any given Sunday and I'll take my chances with Rodgers when just a play here or there are thee difference in a game.  I trust Rodgers to make that play and not Jimmy G.  If that's not worth a mid 2nd and a conditional 1st (likely late 1st assuming we are playoff bound) then not sure what else to say. 

8 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

Because GB is in cap hell and they are not a win now team. They need to get what they can for Rodgers and move on with Love. I think the 2 first round picks is a wish that Peter King came up with. Remember Peter King is a big Pats fan and hates the Jets. He will always try to put the Jets or make them look stupid. I know we don;t need much help but he blows it up more than it really is. The first thing is GB needs to find a team that can take the cap hit and will want a QB that they can win with now. That is only the Raiders and Jets. 

The Packers really aren't in cap hell.  Or at least not as much as the media makes them out to be.  They only need to make 2 moves (restructure Aaron Jones and Jaire Alexander) to get under the cap.  That doesn't give them much in the way of flexibility,  but they still have other avenues to create more cap space if they so desire.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

2 out of last 3 years were MVP seasons.  The one non-MVP season had a revolving door on the OL and two of his top 3 WRs were rookies, which Rodgers is known to not have chemistry with.  There's enough reason to believe that a trade leads to a highly motivated Rodgers.  I'd imagine that if he's traded, he's probably going to be closer to MVP-caliber Rodgers than what he was this past season.

As for the reports about Green Bay wanting to get him out of there, I think those are being vastly overstated.  I think the Packers have significant amount of confidence that Jordan Love is ready to play, and the longer the Packers hold onto him the more cumbersome his contract becomes.  If the Packers can get significant draft capital in return for Rodgers, I don't think it's hard to believe that Love and the pick(s) would be more valuable especially if you think that Love would buy into the system more than Rodgers.

Rodgers is new to 2023 Jets.  How will a chemistry work out?   Jets still have an issue with OL.

Jets have been dealing with stupid injuries.  Becton is now under 360 lb with new training coach but he is still a risk.  We have RT and C to fill out.   Too many to count on to have perfect season.  Not just qb.

3 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

So Jets fans are convinced Rodgers is going to come here for pretty much conditional draft picks, and Packers fans saying it’s going to cost a-lot more. Sounds about right.

It is an impasse.. Move on. lol

Edited by JetsandI

1 minute ago, GangGreen420 said:

If it’s a bad UCL, would they consider going after Rodgers (assuming they even have the capital) or Brady? 

It really depends on if Jimmy wants to leave. If he does, I can see the 49ers going for someone who only wants to play one year. Lance was the original starter and Purdy made it to the NFCC. They won't look to keep them benched too long. 

If Jimmy loves where he is and don't mind, I don't see a reason for the two not to make it happen. The weather is amazing out there and it shows in every home game. They contend every year and he's in a system that fits him perfectly. The only thing that could make him want out is if he doesn't feel like he would start going forward or he gets a crazy offer. 

1 minute ago, rickyt31 said:

It really depends on if Jimmy wants to leave. If he does, I can see the 49ers going for someone who only wants to play one year. Lance was the original starter and Purdy made it to the NFCC. They won't look to keep them benched too long. 

If Jimmy loves where he is and don't mind, I don't see a reason for the two not to make it happen. The weather is amazing out there and it shows in every home game. They contend every year and he's in a system that fits him perfectly. The only thing that could make him want out is if he doesn't feel like he would start going forward or he gets a crazy offer. 

49ers will opt Brady because he is UFA.  Easy transaction.

Edit: sorry, wrong quote. I meant for GG's question.

Edited by JetsandI