Random Bears Thoughts - Offseason Thread

Ty21

28 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Agreed. Whenever I do a mock simulator I feel like I came away with way too many players even when I don’t make any trades. 

4 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

i'm legit already looking forward to next year when we have TWO (2) frp

I know right.   I am thinking we may end up losing a drafted player I like off practice squad again.

For years it was only UDFAs.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I opened my own business late last summer.   Just got hit with my first tax bill.

Yuck and ouch.  

Mood Wtf GIF by Tennis TV

Tax season used to mean I got money back.   

Still grateful.  

Going to have set this up differently going forward.  

Most opt to pay quarterly, it definitely softens the blow.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I opened my own business late last summer.   Just got hit with my first tax bill.

Yuck and ouch.  

Mood Wtf GIF by Tennis TV

Tax season used to mean I got money back.   

Still grateful.  

Going to have set this up differently going forward.  

Yeah, just being 1099 alone sucks. With construction I could manipulate my shown income and use deductions from all the jobs/materials/gas/tools that cut my pay in significantly.  

Idk what making an LLC, S-corp or anything would do to lighten that but it might be worth talking with a financial advisor. If you're really lucky one of your clients may be able to kind of trade services with you. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Yeah, just being 1099 alone sucks. With construction I could manipulate my shown income and use deductions from all the jobs/materials/gas/tools that cut my pay in significantly.  

Idk what making an LLC, S-corp or anything would do to lighten that but it might be worth talking with a financial advisor. If you're really lucky one of your clients may be able to kind of trade services with you. 

I have an LLC.  I think I have to take a salary and do it as an S corp this year and then they take taxes out as I go.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Probably why we haven’t signed a ton of depth level guys yet tbh. 

I think it is a clear message of intent to any agent who has a young guy go undrafted this year...you will get the opportunity to make the roster in Chicago without a ton of vets standing in the way of snaps...giving these young guys the opportunity might just help you hit gold.

8 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I think it is a clear message of intent to any agent who has a young guy go undrafted this year...you will get the opportunity to make the roster in Chicago without a ton of vets standing in the way of snaps...giving these young guys the opportunity might just help you hit gold.

I’m not sure that’s true. Barring trades which may change the total we’re already gonna have 10 drafted rookies coming out of this class, and at least half of those guys are gonna get a very real chance (and maybe be expected) for legit playing time this year (the 4 picks in the top 64 for sure). I’m seeing us with 35 roster locks already not including Blackwell (pretty likely to make it as a core ST who got a lot of acclaim last year from the staff) and Hicks (2nd year S who seemed capable in spot duty last year). I think DHC will be back too. That’s 38. Leatherwood isn’t a lock but his $ is fully guaranteed and that may get him on the 53, and my 35 did not include several of last year’s rookies (Ebner, Kramer & Carter) either. Add 10+ draft picks to that, probably a vet OT and at least one vet DL and you’re already pretty well full.

11 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m not sure that’s true. Barring trades which may change the total we’re already gonna have 10 drafted rookies coming out of this class, and at least half of those guys are gonna get a very real chance (and maybe be expected) for legit playing time this year (the 4 picks in the top 64 for sure). I’m seeing us with 35 roster locks already not including Blackwell (pretty likely to make it as a core ST who got a lot of acclaim last year from the staff) and Hicks (2nd year S who seemed capable in spot duty last year). I think DHC will be back too. That’s 38. Leatherwood isn’t a lock but his $ is fully guaranteed and that may get him on the 53, and my 35 did not include several of last year’s rookies (Ebner, Kramer & Carter) either. Add 10+ draft picks to that, probably a vet OT and at least one vet DL and you’re already pretty well full.

I actually think we could have more than 10 picks in this draft when all is said and done...that said I think Poles showed with Zach Thomas last year he will not respect draft position if a player is better who was drafted later or even an UDFA...I think we could have more rookies on the roster than any other team in the NFL next year...I think it is another year which will be mostly about fixing the mistakes left by Pace...sure we expect to win more games but this still isn't going to be built to be a contender and agents will see that a guy like Sanborn got a real shot here...let as many of these young guys compete as possible should be the philosophy in the hope that we get as much talent in the building as we can...year three with still a lot of cap space...plenty of resources including that additional 1st round pick...and a 3rd year QB in this scheme and now we have a roster that has been built right and is incredibly young which can hopefully compete for years to come. 

Anyone else really interested in what Ja'Tyre Carter can be as an OG in year two?...this isn't a guy who came from Alabama or Ohio State...he played at Southern so you have to think much like Braxton Jones he is going to benefit from a full off-season of an NFL facility with strength coaches & nutritionists who you have to think are going to be better than anything he had in college or while preparing for the draft...looking at his traits he is clearly a great athlete & fit for this scheme...I could see him competing at LG if the plan on the right side is to move Jenkins to RT (not what I would do but you just never know at this point)...

Carters work out at 6-3" 311lbs with 33 5/8" arms...

40: 5.13

10: 1.72

Vert: 34 1/2"

Broad: 9'3"

Shuttle: 4.9

Cone: 7.65

Bench: 21 reps

Those are some impressive numbers...if he can get some more strength and continue to be refined he could be an answer down the line. 

On 3/25/2023 at 7:15 PM, Madmike90 said:

Anyone else really interested in what Ja'Tyre Carter can be as an OG in year two?...this isn't a guy who came from Alabama or Ohio State...he played at Southern so you have to think much like Braxton Jones he is going to benefit from a full off-season of an NFL facility with strength coaches & nutritionists who you have to think are going to be better than anything he had in college or while preparing for the draft...looking at his traits he is clearly a great athlete & fit for this scheme...I could see him competing at LG if the plan on the right side is to move Jenkins to RT (not what I would do but you just never know at this point)...

Carters work out at 6-3" 311lbs with 33 5/8" arms...

40: 5.13

10: 1.72

Vert: 34 1/2"

Broad: 9'3"

Shuttle: 4.9

Cone: 7.65

Bench: 21 reps

Those are some impressive numbers...if he can get some more strength and continue to be refined he could be an answer down the line. 

Intrigued? Yes. Counting on anything? Not really. If he’s our primary backup guard because he earns the spot (not by default) that’s a pretty solid get for his draft position IMO. 

35 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Intrigued? Yes. Counting on anything? Not really. If he’s our primary backup guard because he earns the spot (not by default) that’s a pretty solid get for his draft position IMO. 

Agreed...I don't think he can be relied on for anything at this spot but I just wonder what an off-season in the pros will have done for him...if he can be a backup guard that is a great step forward this year.