2023 Free Agency Game

armsteeld

10 minutes ago, AFF said:

It’s an area I want to look at more in the coming months…that and those 2nd tier OL and DL guys.

It’s been a fun trip. There’s a lot of usage type guys on the defensive side of the ball that will make it if teams use them right. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AFF said:

Edge depth might be the biggest non “obvious” need they have right now…with Highsmith going into contract year it wouldn’t surprise me to see them drafting one higher than most expect.

They sign Highsmith or yes, draft Edge early. I prefer sign UFA Houston for depth and rotation.

On spotrac I also noticed Akiem Hicks will be UFA  , but will Khan consider such a signing?

Edited by 3rivers

9 hours ago, AFF said:

Edge depth might be the biggest non “obvious” need they have right now…with Highsmith going into contract year it wouldn’t surprise me to see them drafting one higher than most expect.

I see us trying to extend him this offseason, and if that doesn't happen, likely get tagged next offseason if they cant work something out.

I wouldn't be completely shocked if we drafted one 3rd rd, but I feel like drafting one in the top 50 would send a bad message to Highsmith since OLB isnt an early round need unless they are looking to replace him.   

Bottom line....I could definitely see it in the 3rd or 4th rd, but no higher.   Maybe next year.

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

what about a trade for Becton with the Jets?  I still would prefer a proven vet that is healthy, so this would involve risk.   I doubt the jets would trade Becton nor will they give him the 5th year option. UFA in 2024  will be most likely

That’s a high upside trade I wouldn’t mind making, if the price is right. I’m not giving up a pick in the first 3 rounds for him. Maybe a 2024 4th. Have no idea what the asking price would be though. Becton has best tackle in the league potential if he can stay healthy. That’s a huge “if” though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

That’s a high upside trade I wouldn’t mind making, if the price is right. I’m not giving up a pick in the first 3 rounds for him. Maybe a 2024 4th. Have no idea what the asking price would be though. Becton has best tackle in the league potential if he can stay healthy. That’s a huge “if” though.

IIRC he also hasn’t made it through a season without injury. 

15 minutes ago, warfelg said:

IIRC he also hasn’t made it through a season without injury. 

Started 13 his rookie year and played at a pro bowl level when healthy (was dealing with multiple nagging injuries throughout the year). Then missed the last two seasons with multiple injuries to the same knee. Also I remember the coaching staff not being happy with his weight and work ethic multiple time.

Unless they draft an OT high I think it’s more likely they give him one final season to see if he can’t stay healthy and get his knee right. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Started 13 his rookie year and played at a pro bowl level when healthy (was dealing with multiple nagging injuries throughout the year). Then missed the last two seasons with multiple injuries to the same knee. Also I remember the coaching staff not being happy with his weight and work ethic multiple time.

Unless they draft an OT high I think it’s more likely they give him one final season to see if he can’t stay healthy and get his knee right. 

was the weigh issue a problem while he was healthy or after/while injured?

• Like 1

Back-up QB - - I said it last year as well. Carson Wentz. He is a former #1 who is now not going to cost much and with the right pieces and system could be a very reliable back-up. Most would frown, but I think that this guy will do much better without the pressure of being a starter.   A high character guy who could find a home and role here in Pittsburgh.  I expect that he will be released and will be a free agent.  He is a cheaper option than Mitch and while not nearly as mobile as Mitch, he has some surprising mobility.

Slot WR - - Ju Ju Smith Shuster. I think he would fill a good role on this team AGAIN. He would add the type of consistency underneath that TE Freiermuth does, but at WR. He is a player who can keep the chains moving and provide Pickett with a security blanket. Not a burner or true #1, but we have Pickens and I believe that Johnson will bounce back. Or he will run back.🤬😉

Back-up TE - - Adam Shaheen.  Hopefully the knee is alright. He's an over-drafted underachiever who has some talent, but has never lived up to it.  As a #3, with some #2 potential, he would be worth a flier. At the very least the cost should be right $$$.

LG - - Nate Davis. I think he would do for the IOL what James Daniels and Mason Cole did for the IOL.  Ball control, efficiency, TOP, scoring td's / finishing drives in the red zone.  This is a player to help do this. If the young skill players can develop and can stay healthy, the OL is an area that can add an impact player. Dotson has been up and down.  He looked great at times as a rookie, and then has been up and down with his play. He would be a solid back-up.

DL - - De' Ron Payne.  I prefer to re-sign Larry Ogunjobi and draft a young NG.  Payne would be more expensive, but he's younger and a solid run stuffer inside. 

ILB - - Tremaine Edmonds.  He would be my #1 free agent target. He has the tools, experience, and style that would fit our defense well.

OLB - - Bud Dupree.  Bud will probably be cut and would be a very good rotational piece for Watt and Highsmith.  Bud is also fairly stout against the run. His role would be to help keep Watt and Highsmith fresh and healthy. This is a win/win for everyone involved.

CB - - Not a fan of the list of free agents and the $$$ to sign someone good. Unless someone good becomes a cap casualty, no to free agents right now.  Best bet would be to re-sign Cam and draft a player to develop. They still have Ahkello on the roster as well. Not sexy, but with a young player in round 1-3, could me decent. 

Safety - - Resign Edmonds.  Not great, but fits a role and scheme. With a healthy Kazee the back end is not a liability.  They have Minkah after all.

53 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Back-up QB - - I said it last year as well. Carson Wentz. He is a former #1 who is now not going to cost much and with the right pieces and system could be a very reliable back-up. Most would frown, but I think that this guy will do much better without the pressure of being a starter.   A high character guy who could find a home and role here in Pittsburgh.  I expect that he will be released and will be a free agent.  He is a cheaper option than Mitch and while not nearly as mobile as Mitch, he has some surprising mobility.

Pass hard.  Teammates everywhere have not liked him.

53 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Slot WR - - Ju Ju Smith Shuster. I think he would fill a good role on this team AGAIN. He would add the type of consistency underneath that TE Freiermuth does, but at WR. He is a player who can keep the chains moving and provide Pickett with a security blanket. Not a burner or true #1, but we have Pickens and I believe that Johnson will bounce back. Or he will run back.🤬😉

I think he ends up sticking with a pass first offense focused team.  Either re ups in KC or ends up with someone like Miami.

54 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Back-up TE - - Adam Shaheen.  Hopefully the knee is alright. He's an over-drafted underachiever who has some talent, but has never lived up to it.  As a #3, with some #2 potential, he would be worth a flier. At the very least the cost should be right $$$.

No more overdraft underachievers please.  

55 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

LG - - Nate Davis. I think he would do for the IOL what James Daniels and Mason Cole did for the IOL.  Ball control, efficiency, TOP, scoring td's / finishing drives in the red zone.  This is a player to help do this. If the young skill players can develop and can stay healthy, the OL is an area that can add an impact player. Dotson has been up and down.  He looked great at times as a rookie, and then has been up and down with his play. He would be a solid back-up.

I like him.  But I'm starting to get this gut feeling that the injury + improved run game will buy Dodson another year.  Worst care he needs a challenger at the role.

56 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

DL - - De' Ron Payne.  I prefer to re-sign Larry Ogunjobi and draft a young NG.  Payne would be more expensive, but he's younger and a solid run stuffer inside. 

All for it but there's going to be some slightly cheaper just as effective options.

57 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

ILB - - Tremaine Edmonds.  He would be my #1 free agent target. He has the tools, experience, and style that would fit our defense well.

Yes.  He's needed.

OLB - - Bud Dupree.  Bud will probably be cut and would be a very good rotational piece for Watt and Highsmith.  Bud is also fairly stout against the run. His role would be to help keep Watt and Highsmith fresh and healthy. This is a win/win for everyone involved.

I'm so torn on this reunion.

CB - - Not a fan of the list of free agents and the $$$ to sign someone good. Unless someone good becomes a cap casualty, no to free agents right now.  Best bet would be to re-sign Cam and draft a player to develop. They still have Ahkello on the roster as well. Not sexy, but with a young player in round 1-3, could me decent. 

This would be the spot I sign someone.  Cam is good and Levi is admirable, but neither are shut down.

58 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Safety - - Resign Edmonds.  Not great, but fits a role and scheme. With a healthy Kazee the back end is not a liability.  They have Minkah after all.

I think Edmunds is really underrated.

19 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

SH, I disagree here, not a fan of wentz+

not sure   about this. I think there are players in the draft in RD3 or 4 that should be capable as long as KP throws to who is open.  JJSS was liked here , but would be a bit more cap on a Wr3 that I would prefer. Plus lets see how Sims and Austin do with better play calling and when healthy. The Giant found Hodgins for example (never dropped at apps this season - imagine that ?) , so there are quality WR's out there

all for this, but what about Akiem Hicks   as well?  Payne would be a 3 or 4 year deal, Hicks would be 1 or maybe 2 year deal

For TE, do they keep Gentry as a TE3, with Heyward and Muth being the other 2 TE's? 

I expect his price to be too high, lots will bid on him.  What about R.Evans, would he suit our scheme? I remember that they wanted to draft him but Vrable got the last laugh there

NO!

Unless he signs for  next to nothing, even then, Justin Houston is a much better player (and less cap cost due to age most likely) anyways, so sign him 2 years and be set at Edge EVEN if a player is out with injury for a while. This lack of depth at Edge cost us the playoffs when TJ was out.  Not that we would have gone far but the team was doing good towards the end , much better than mid season thats for sure

I would prefer Von Bell, but cap could be the problem  plus they seem to like Edmunds, who doesn't get the credit in run support he deserves. Too bad he didn't get more INT's though.  Of course, if they keep him and as a result that nets his brother, that changes the defence quite a bit IMO as his brother is top tier.

SH: I noticed you opted for OG instead of LT, are you set with Moore at LT or are you hoping for a RD1 or RD2 draft pick? 

Edited by 3rivers

Maybe they draft Devon if they don't land  a UFA CB

• Like 1