Total Control Mock Draft 2023 - Discussion

Deadpulse

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

Protect player welfare?  What does that even mean?  This is just accounting.  The player will receive the same amount regardless.  But when players sign extensions IRL almost every new contract allows teams to reduce the Year 1 cap number. That is just the shuffling of the accounting books.  

The way it is currently calculated with adding a prorated amount of the old base salary makes no sense to me. 

You have said the same as I have I can't extend one player with a reduction in cap for year 1. It is what it is I have just restructured players instead to get myself under the cap.

I agree with @JetsandI in the fact it is too much work to change now.

• Like 1

I just don't understand why you would have a rule that essentially penalizes anyone who's trying to extend a player. If you pair this rule with the ridiculously high APY asking prices it is practically impossible to extend anyone and reduce that player's year 1 cap hit which just isn't how contracts work IRL. 

1 hour ago, whodatOL said:

Man lots of questions from my part right now, thanks for the help. I belive I found a small mistake in the extension workbook. I made an extension offer for Khalil Mack, his current contract looks like:

Vet. Min. Base Salary Base Guar. Prorated Non-prorated Cap Number
$1,165,000 $17,200,000 $0 $4,500,000 $5,700,000 $27,400,000
$1,210,000 $17,550,000 $0 $4,500,000 $5,700,000 $27,750,000

I now made a three year extension with an 27 million signing bonus over three years:

$1,165,000 $1,080,000 $0 $18,873,333 $0 $19,953,333
$1,210,000 $6,000,000 $0 $18,873,333 $5,700,000 $30,573,333
$1,255,000 $8,000,000 $0 $14,373,333 $0 $22,373,333

I would think that the prorated bonus would be 13.5 million in year one. Not sure why it is as high...

To answer your original question, the reason the pro rated bonus is so high is because it is taking Base Salary from the original contract and throwing that into the calculation.  That is why Year 3 drops off so much, because the original contract didn't have a year 3. 

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I just don't understand why you would have a rule that essentially penalizes anyone who's trying to extend a player. If you pair this rule with the ridiculously high APY asking prices it is practically impossible to extend anyone and reduce that player's year 1 cap hit which just isn't how contracts work IRL. 

Pay Cut exists in real life.

Voidable year mechanism exists in real life.

Upgrading (less than upping) new money upfront exists in real life.

None of them are allowable in TCMD.   Accept it.

1 minute ago, JetsandI said:

Pay Cut exists in real life.

Voidable year mechanism exists in real life.

Upgrading (less than upping) new money upfront exists in real life.

None of them are allowable in TCMD.   Accept it.

All of those are extremely easy clear cut things to just say hey these don't exist.  This other thing is a hidden formula in the spreadsheets that does not exist IRL. Its extremely confusing, and since all of the google docs are locked for editing makes it difficult to figure out whether the math is even correct. People know how the cap works IRL, so they are now coming here and asking questions about how these calculations are made because they know this isn't correct. It is completely nonsensical to add a rule that complicates all of the math of how contracts and cap space is calculated that differs from how its works IRL. 

6 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:
1 hour ago, whodatOL said:

Man lots of questions from my part right now, thanks for the help. I belive I found a small mistake in the extension workbook. I made an extension offer for Khalil Mack, his current contract looks like:

$1,165,000 $17,200,000 $0 $4,500,000 $5,700,000 $27,400,000
$1,210,000 $17,550,000 $0 $4,500,000 $5,700,000 $27,750,000

I now made a three year extension with an 27 million signing bonus over three years:

$1,165,000 $1,080,000 $0 $18,873,333 $0 $19,953,333
$1,210,000 $6,000,000 $0 $18,873,333 $5,700,000 $30,573,333
$1,255,000 $8,000,000 $0 $14,373,333 $0 $22,373,333

I would think that the prorated bonus would be 13.5 million in year one. Not sure why it is as high...

To answer your original question, the reason the pro rated bonus is so high is because it is taking Base Salary from the original contract and throwing that into the calculation.  That is why Year 3 drops off so much, because the original contract didn't have a year 3. 

Not sure if this is accurate, but here are my thoughts on this

The base salary dropping from $17.2 to $1.08 leaves $16.1M to be spread over the new contract.... around $5.3 per year

adding the $27M in signing bonus (new money added into the contract) is also spread over the 3 years of the new contract

9 + 5.3 + 4.5 (existed in prior contract) = 18.8 in new prorated value

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

All of those are extremely easy clear cut things to just say hey these don't exist.  This other thing is a hidden formula in the spreadsheets that does not exist IRL. Its extremely confusing, and since all of the google docs are locked for editing makes it difficult to figure out whether the math is even correct. People know how the cap works IRL, so they are now coming here and asking questions about how these calculations are made because they know this isn't correct. It is completely nonsensical to add a rule that complicates all of the math of how contracts and cap space is calculated that differs from how its works IRL. 

I know that. Sparky and company tried to turn TCMD into real life simulation. They won some and lose some.

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Not sure if this is accurate, but here are my thoughts on this

The base salary dropping from $17.2 to $1.08 leaves $16.1M to be spread over the new contract.... around $5.3 per year

adding the $27M in signing bonus (new money added into the contract) is also spread over the 3 years of the new contract

9 + 5.3 + 4.5 (existed in prior contract) = 18.8 in new prorated value

Yes that is how it is being calculated, but the question is why? The player upon signing the extension receives a new large signing bonus with a reduction of Year 1 base salary.  Why is this formula guaranteeing the difference between the old base salary and new base salary? 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I don't understand why we are being asked to check on these things and make sure they are working properly if we're going to be told that nothing will be changed because its too difficult to fix anything now.  I'll just stop wasting my time then. 

Rule is already there.   We suppose to convert new GTD from old contract into new contract among with old SB. The tracking of GTD was in question so TCMD went ahead and used base salary of 2023, GTD or not this time.

You can report however you see something is wrong but just don't trying to change TCMD rules during its activity.

Mike just tried his best to modify methods to get closer what TCMD is meant to be.  Same for APY situation in players.  Not 100 percent logical but close enough.