Total Control Mock Draft 2023 - Discussion

Deadpulse

8 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Are post J1 trades a thing?  I know that would mean no 2023 picks, but would that also mean no players can be included (if it can even be done)?

You can trade 2024 picks but you can't trade a 2023 pick for a player to be named later. I think you can do a trade after the draft and UDFA phase to split the cap hit from the bonus acceleration.

15 hours ago, ny92mike said:

I mentioned this earlier to someone else.  I jumped the gun I kept hearing how it was going to be impossible for TB to get in the green this year same with NO so I removed some dead money.  I should have waited until later to do this.

Ok, but you're not just going to let them ignore the Brady dead money hit are you? I'm sure everyone else would like to have an extra 35 mil of cap space too. 

They're purportedly gone from 55 mil over the cap to 33 under for an improvement of 88 mil. Then they tagged Jamel Dean for 18 mil so they improved their cap situation by 106 mil. Restructuring Evans, Godwin, and Barrett saves them about 34 mil. Cutting Julio Jones and Leonard Fournette as post June 1 saves them about 7.5 mil. Even if you give them Brady for free, it still doesn't add up. 

14 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

You can trade 2024 picks but you can't trade a 2023 pick for a player to be named later. I think you can do a trade after the draft and UDFA phase to split the cap hit from the bonus acceleration.

I meant can I trade a player from my roster and designate him a post June 1st trade like you can with cuts.  I only asked because Spotrac shows cap savings numbers for players if traded post June 1st, so I didn't know if that was something that could be done (for future picks) or if in that case you have to actually wait until after June 1st to make the trade.

23 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I don't think we can do this player to be named exercise.   Besides, most of us will quit right after the draft is concluded.  Pointless really.

6 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I meant can I trade a player from my roster and designate him a post June 1st trade like you can with cuts.  I only asked because Spotrac shows cap savings numbers for players if traded post June 1st, so I didn't know if that was something that could be done (for future picks) or if in that case you have to actually wait until after June 1st to make the trade.

no no.   There is no designation for trade at all.  Only Cut.    Timing of made trade makes the effect on salary cap.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Ok, but you're not just going to let them ignore the Brady dead money hit are you? I'm sure everyone else would like to have an extra 35 mil of cap space too. 

They're purportedly gone from 55 mil over the cap to 33 under for an improvement of 88 mil. Then they tagged Jamel Dean for 18 mil so they improved their cap situation by 106 mil. Restructuring Evans, Godwin, and Barrett saves them about 34 mil. Cutting Julio Jones and Leonard Fournette as post June 1 saves them about 7.5 mil. Even if you give them Brady for free, it still doesn't add up. 

Unfortunately, it happened.   I let it go. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

I agree. I for one thought an extra restructure or two would be beneficial to allow Bucs and saints to get under cap but they shouldn’t have millions to spend.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

@Deadpulse when you get a minute can we discuss this.

Thanks

Just now, RTTRUTH said:

Random question for anyone with an opinion;

What makes Discord better than WhatsApp? Or what do you find convenient about Discord?

Discord is much better for gaming and group chats allowing multiple threads and seamlessly collaborates with streaming and overlays while gaming. 

• Like 1

Alright so I have a ruling on this dead money issue.

First and foremost I want to say I understand the complaints completely. Some players are getting advantage others arent. I am on that train, as McCourty's dead money hit is like 9mil. So giving another team an advantage and other's not is not ideal. 

HOWEVER

This is a game. Yes, we try to make this as realistic as possible, we can't be 100% realistic. The way the game is designed made it impossible to work out of the red. While the teams in real life have MANY more opportunities to get their cap in order, we simply can't simulate that. So in an effort to give these GMs the same opportunities as the real life GMs within the context of the game, some dead money was removed. This is not mock changing. I think we can agree that in reality, these teams wouldve been able to find a way to get to the spot they are in now artificially. 

ULTIMATELY

This is a game, and we want people to be able to play in this game. So again, the way this game is designed, that dead money made playing the game IMPOSSIBLE. We want people to be able to play the game. Yes, we had to make adjustments. Yes, some of you may find that unrealistic. Compromises had to be made in order to make this run. We apologize some of you don't like that, but it was the best move for this mock. Better to have teams capable of getting out of the read (because removing this dead money kept them well in the red), then having the NFL be 30 teams instead of 32. Which would be more realistic? 

If you have further issues, please PM me and leave it out of thread. 

Thanks everyone for playing!

• Like 4