2022-23 Playoffs RD2!!! Gmen vs. Eagles @ 8:15pm 1/21/2023

Giants4eva

Giants run defense has been super goofy recently. Wink realized our LBs are god awful in run support, so he's been literally removing a man from the box to help against the pass and saying "we live or die with Dexy and Big Cat anyway in the run game, so let's just do that" lol

8 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Sounds like Hurts is 100%, Sweat is playing too. So there won't be any excuses if the Gmen pull off this upset 😎

The reality is we won't know how healthy Hurts is until the we see Philly on offense for at least a series or two. You can't take any messaging being put out there at face value. That being said, the Giants have to prepare as if he will be 100%. 

18 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Giants run defense has been super goofy recently. Wink realized our LBs are god awful in run support, so he's been literally removing a man from the box to help against the pass and saying "we live or die with Dexy and Big Cat anyway in the run game, so let's just do that" lol

So I should prepare myself for death by Boston Scott? 🥴

2 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

So I should prepare myself for death by Boston Scott? 🥴

Boston Scott, Myles Sanders, and Jalen Hurts, yeah. Every team can run on us. One of the top rushing teams in the NFL will surely be able to run on us. The important point will be forcing one negative play per drive, getting them into 3rd downs, then stopping them on third downs. We've been great on 3rd down all year, but we were god awful at it against the Eagles the first time. That will be the biggest thing that needs to change to win.

That's why the run defense hasn't suffered when we remove an LB from the box; Dexy and Leo are still really good at forcing negative running plays.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

Seeing a lot of '07 comparisons. This team only STARTS to be similar if they beat the Eagles. 

There are a few similarities between the '07 and a few from the '11 teams. But like you said, it doesn't really matter unless this team makes a deep playoff run. Which at this point is a moot discussion.

I'm pretty excited about this game. The Eagles are the better team. But in my heart of hearts I know the Giants are sky high on confidence right now and will make it a close game. Given that, they'll have a punchers chance to win it. 

There were ways to scheme around the Vikings and win the game during the week leading up to the game. That isn't the case with the Eagles. If we win this game, it won't be because of a masterful gameplan from the coaching staff, because the Eagles are too talented. If we win, it will be because of the players. And I don't know if we have the horses for that.

In the playoffs, it comes down to who is the best in the trenches. There is a pretty good argument that the Eagles are the best OL and DL left. We have a chance, but I think we come up short. They've got too many good players.

53 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

There were ways to scheme around the Vikings and win the game during the week leading up to the game. That isn't the case with the Eagles. If we win this game, it won't be because of a masterful gameplan from the coaching staff, because the Eagles are too talented. If we win, it will be because of the players. And I don't know if we have the horses for that.

In the playoffs, it comes down to who is the best in the trenches. There is a pretty good argument that the Eagles are the best OL and DL left. We have a chance, but I think we come up short. They've got too many good players.

Both teams are vulnerable against the run game. Conventional wisdom says whoever does a better job establishing the run will win the game. To me, the big questions in this game are the QB:

1. Is Hurts healthy? If he's in mid-season form, we'll see the dominant Eagles who can overwhelm any team.

2. Is what we saw from DJ just a symptom of playing bad defenses? Or is he blossoming into a game-changer in front of our eyes? If he can run around and make things happen like he's been doing, that'll open things up for everyone and could be what the Giants need to pull off the unexpected.

Obviously, I want the Giants to win. But the way I see it, we don't have anything to lose. The Giants have already far exceeded expectations for the season by any metric.  If we go toe-to-toe with the the #1 seed in a playoff game, you have to feel amazing about going into the off-season with opportunities to finally inject the team with some talent in depleted areas. If we get killed by the Eagles, of course that would suck. But again, the high end of expectations for this team before the season was 6-7 wins at best. Then there's always the chance we could steal a win! Which would truly be surreal. So when you think about it, it's pretty much a "win" in every scenario. It's just an exciting time to be a Giants fan. 

So boys; no matter what, just sit back and enjoy the game! Feels good to finally be back.

Edited by w4rrior723
  • Like 2

It's been such an amazing season, and since we've had awful seasons for a while now, I know to hold on to these tight now. I don't want it to end. As much as I probably should feel like we are playing with house money at this point, I don't. There's no guarantee you get back to this spot any time soon. Unless we end up with the Lombardi, you can guarantee I'm going to end up upset. Not nearly as upset as the past decade, but still a bit upset.

I'm strapped in, enjoying every moment, and don't want this season to end. Hopefully we can get at least another week.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

There's no guarantee you get back to this spot any time soon.

Yep. And that's why we gotta savor it no matter what.

19 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I'm strapped in, enjoying every moment, and don't want this season to end. Hopefully we can get at least another week.

You and me both, brother.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

There's no guarantee you get back to this spot any time soon

Eh? We are the least talented team in the playoffs and we are still standing. We have a bonafide modern GM that knows how to build a team. We have a coach that knows how get the most out of the talent our GM will get for him. This is only tip of the iceberg, the Giants are going to be a very good team for a while.

2 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

Eh? We are the least talented team in the playoffs and we are still standing. We have a bonafide modern GM that knows how to build a team. We have a coach that knows how get the most out of the talent our GM will get for him. This is only tip of the iceberg, the Giants are going to be a very good team for a while.

Seems like it, sure. But any number of things can happen. Leonard Williams has a good lived experience about it- his rookie year with the Jets, they were one game away from making the playoffs. He was disappointed, but felt like it wasn't too big a deal because they were good that year and should be good again next year. He just made his first postseason appearance this year. Nothing is guaranteed in this league. Teams vary greatly year to year; there is something like a consistent 50% turnover in playoff teams every year.

We could have bad personnel decisions that hurt us. We could have catastrophic injuries. Other teams in the NFC could drastically improve. Who knows? The future looks bright right now, but anything can happen in the NFL. 

1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

We could have bad personnel decisions that hurt us. We could have catastrophic injuries. Other teams in the NFC could drastically improve. Who knows? The future looks bright right now, but anything can happen in the NFL. 

Next year we have cap space, we have 11 drafts pics, all those rookies that suffered season ending injuries this year they are coming back next year and we play a 3rd place schedule.  Our GM has all ready shown that he is excellent at making personnel decisions. Yeah other teams in NFC may drastically improve, one thing I know, the Giants are going drastically improve. I can't wait to see DJ with a #1 wideout and playing behind an average offensive line. This defense is going to be dominant with what we have now and adding quality inside linebackers and #2 CB next season. If you want to keep your doom and gloom attitude when there is so much to look forward to, go for it. I am loving this playoff run and I see more runs like this in the near future.

@Go_Giants and @minutemancl you're both valid in what you're saying. All signs point to the Giants just scratching the surface of what's the come. But the future is never guaranteed. As Alan Watts once put it, "a completely predictable future is already the past."

That all being said; in this present moment, the Giants are playing the the NFC Divisional Playoff round. The only rational thing to do is enjoy the good moments while they're here. This is why we're fans! If things do somehow unexpectedly spiral downwards for this franchise after this, all the more reason to enjoy the good times while they're here!

• Like 1