The Lamar offseason talk thread

diamondbull424

16 hours ago, Danger said:

For what it's worth. There was a tweet from a reputable source about a month ago (I can't remember who) that said Howie and Jalen's camp are relatively on the same page. 

At this point all of those QB's should be looking at Lamar and saying to themselves (and their agents) "do the complete opposite of that".

I think they all get signed without any issues.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

At this point all of those QB's should be looking at Lamar and saying to themselves (and their agents) "do the complete opposite of that".

I think they all get signed without any issues.

I made a comprehensive look at the last handful of years in one of the NFL Gen threads. I expect 3 or Burrow, Hurts, Herbert, and Lamar to get a deal done by the start of next season. Somewhere in the $49-51M AAV year range.

Hard to say. What are Lamar's points he dying on that hill over specifically?

I heard from Kollman in a video yesterday he's saying like basically 4 years/$200M Gtd with effectively a 5th year team option. I don't see him getting quite 200M guaranteed no matter how much he tries to hardball. I could see like 160-170 perhaps.

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

I made a comprehensive look at the last handful of years in one of the NFL Gen threads. I expect 3 or Burrow, Hurts, Herbert, and Lamar to get a deal done by the start of next season. Somewhere in the $49-51M AAV year range.

I heard from Kollman in a video yesterday he's saying like basically 4 years/$200M Gtd with effectively a 5th year team option. I don't see him getting quite 200M guaranteed no matter how much he tries to hardball. I could see like 160-170 perhaps.

Lamar wants fully guaranteed highest contract ever, and that's it. Ravens (and all 31 other teams, apparently) aren't willing to do that.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls

8 hours ago, Danger said:

Lamar doesn't have that much leverage to hard ball. The genius of the non-exclusive tag is that there is no pressure on the Ravens to find a way to meet his requests. He's got to do the work to get whatever best offer he can and then the Ravens can still match.

If he threatens to hold out it only hurts his market value. Other teams have done the Ravens a solid by highlighting his availability. 

8 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Lamar wants fully guaranteed highest contract ever, and that's it. Ravens (and all 31 other teams, apparently) aren't willing to do that.

Daniel Jones wanted $45M per year, which the agency he "fired" leaked out.

Ultimately what a player "wants" in negotiation is always higher than what the end up agreeing to when you are talking about money on this scale.

21 hours ago, Danger said:

More guarantees than Watson. I don’t think the deal needs to be fully guaranteed and that’s been confirmed from “sources” close to Lamar (ie the workout machine guy)

Last year the 3 year/133m was an extension offer to the 5th year option, meaning for the Ravens it was really 4 years/156m and $39m AAV.

It would’ve essentially been 6 years/$273m, $45.5m AAV of a deal. Only the team essentially had the option after year 4 to cut bait of the final two years if Lamar didn’t play well… just before his two highest salary seasons.

As long as Lamar signs for any deal that provides more upfront money, he will be better off than signing that deal they offered. If I’m him, I’d seek a 3 year, $144m deal fully guaranteed, 48m AAV and if he balls out for the next three years, he could raise his value further and go for another 3 year deal perhaps around $160m and be at $300m earned over that 6 year span.

However assuming he doesn’t want to go that route, I think a similarly team friendly deal, but with more upfront guarantees would render him better off.

6 year, $280m, 231m in “guarantees”, $135m due at signing, and team option in year 4 that would allow them to cut bait if Lamar isn’t working out well. Yet throw incentives in the deal that could push the deal up to $300m (SB, MVP, games played, etc).

He saves face and the team wins by essentially getting him for what should be a bargain and plenty of flexibility for team building. Plus if they restructure him at any point, he becomes less likely to be able to cut bait with.

Edited by diamondbull424

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Lamar when the Ravens can't sign Beckham and Hopkins because they don't have the draft capital or cap space:

Not My Problem GIFs | Tenor

It's entirely a cap space issue, but if it weren't I'd do this in a heartbeat:

Ravens trade 1st round pick (22) + Patrick Queen to Cardinals for Deandre Hopkins and 2nd round pick (35)

We would still be able to grab a legit CB at 35, we'd have a stud WR room, and our only "need" going into the 3rd round and beyond in the draft, and post-draft FA would be a serviceable LB next to Riquan, a pass rusher and mayyybe some bodies on DL/OL.

Cardinals get to dump Hop, get a young talented ILB and get another 1st round pick (which would add to their massive capital they already have after likely trading down from #3).

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

It's entirely a cap space issue, but if it weren't I'd do this in a heartbeat:

Ravens trade 1st round pick (22) + Patrick Queen to Cardinals for Deandre Hopkins and 2nd round pick (35)

We would still be able to grab a legit CB at 35, we'd have a stud WR room, and our only "need" going into the 3rd round and beyond in the draft, and post-draft FA would be a serviceable LB next to Riquan, a pass rusher and mayyybe some bodies on DL/OL.

Cardinals get to dump Hop, get a young talented ILB and get another 1st round pick (which would add to their massive capital they already have after likely trading down from #3).

I think this is a brilliant trade idea.

Granted I’m also in the Mike Evans camp. That and I’m now suddenly enamored with the potential of Michael Wilson from Stanford.

But DHop with this move would make a lot of sense.

Edited by diamondbull424