2023 Player movement rumors

Forge

Daniel Jones is giving the Giants ownership such a good opportunity to tank for Caleb Williams it's insane. Literally counter back at 5mil, he will balk and leak to press it was his insane $45mil demands. Sign Matt Barkley or whatever no one cares hand the keys to Baker Mayfield if he tells you his shoulder is shot, lose because you are terrible and spend all the picks getting foundational pieces that won't necessarily impact W/L this year. Be set up for next year without insane baggage on your cap and have a rookie A grade QB lead a solid playoff(ish) caliber squad and fine tune it in FA with your cap dollars.

9 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Daniel Jones is giving the Giants ownership such a good opportunity to tank for Caleb Williams it's insane. Literally counter back at 5mil, he will balk and leak to press it was his insane $45mil demands. Sign Matt Barkley or whatever no one cares hand the keys to Baker Mayfield if he tells you his shoulder is shot, lose because you are terrible and spend all the picks getting foundational pieces that won't necessarily impact W/L this year. Be set up for next year without insane baggage on your cap and have a rookie A grade QB lead a solid playoff(ish) caliber squad and fine tune it in FA with your cap dollars.

This team isn’t bad enough to get the #1 pick. 

Just now, BetterCallSaul said:

This team isn’t bad enough to get the #1 pick. 

QB: Insert Garbage
RB: Matt Breida (let Saquon walk for a comp pick)
WR: Isiah Hodgins
WR: Wandale Robinson
WR: Richie James
TE: Daniel Bellinger
LT: Andrew Thomas
LG: Nick Gates
OC: Jon Feliciano
RG: Mark Glowinski
RT: Evan Neal

I dunno looks #1 overall-y to me. Defense could hold teams to 10-20 points and Giants could be top 5 contenders.

28 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

The Daniel Jones situation reminds me of the whole fiasco with Bortles a few years back.

Guess we’ll see how it ends up.

That's really unkind. Blake Bortles was at least a bad whistle from making the Super Bowl. 😉

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I dunno looks #1 overall-y to me. Defense could hold teams to 10-20 points and Giants could be top 5 contenders.

Are the Giants just not going to spend their cap space or draft picks on offense?

27 minutes ago, Trojan said:

So they make no selections in the draft, add no FA’s, and let both their starting QB & RB walk?

That seems insanely unrealistic. I also don’t think Williams is better than Young, so torpedoing your whole franchise for a chance at Williams would be insanely stupid. 

2 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Are the Giants just not going to spend their cap space or draft picks on offense?

You can front load extend people like Leonard Williams, Dexter Lawrence and Andrew Thomas then roll over any remaining. Probably draft a center to replace Jon Feliciano since the class is deep. That isn't appearing like a tank either you reward your three best players other than Saquan and you can extend him too if you want.

2 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

So they make no selections in the draft, add no FA’s, and let both their starting QB & RB walk?

That seems insanely unrealistic. I also don’t think Williams is better than Young, so torpedoing your whole franchise for a chance at Williams would be insanely stupid. 

How are they going to get Bryce Young? How is it torpedo'ing your team to pass on signing a 20ish best QB to $45 mil and instead reward your actual best players? How much is Daniel Jones going to win year three of an extension that has Saquon Barkley, Leonard Williams, Andrew Thomas and Dexter Lawrence leave because money is tied up on Daniel Jones?

Edited by Trojan

3 minutes ago, Trojan said:

How are they going to get Bryce Young? How is it torpedo'ing your team to pass on signing a 20ish best QB to $45 mil and instead reward your actual best players? How much is Daniel Jones going to win year three of an extension that has Saquon Barkley, Leonard Williams, Andrew Thomas and Dexter Lawrence leave because money is tied up on Daniel Jones?

I am not saying they can get Bryce Young. I’m saying Williams is not worth bombing your team for. He’s a good QB prospect, but this idea that he’s worth a playoff team tanking for him? Don’t see that.

I wouldn’t pay Jones that amount of money. That seems obnoxious. Just making a point that this team won’t tank. 

29 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I am not saying they can get Bryce Young. I’m saying Williams is not worth bombing your team for. He’s a good QB prospect, but this idea that he’s worth a playoff team tanking for him? Don’t see that.

I wouldn’t pay Jones that amount of money. That seems obnoxious. Just making a point that this team won’t tank. 

So what's your plan if you aren't paying DJ 45mil? Draft McKee with the first?

49 minutes ago, Trojan said:

So what's your plan if you aren't paying DJ 45mil? Draft McKee with the first?

Franchise him for $32mm, I think? Heck, put a non-exclusive tag on him; If he can get a deal in the market, they’d get two FRPs in return. If Jones plays well enough next season, give him his big bucket o’ cash.

Danny Dimes won’t like it, but it’s not about what he likes. This is about the long term prognosis of the franchise, which is bigger than him.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Franchise him for $32mm, I think? Heck, put a non-exclusive tag on him; If he can get a deal in the market, they’d get two FRPs in return. If Jones plays well enough next season, give him his big bucket o’ cash.

Danny Dimes won’t like it, but it’s not about what he likes. This is about the long term prognosis of the franchise, which is bigger than him.

if a tag is $15mil less per year than what he wants, why would he play on a tag instead of sit out and become an expensive headache? I'd rather just get Daboll the QB he wants and move on. If Daboll wants DJ then yeah pay him or whatever. Theres no way a team pays DJ and gives the Giants a first that'd be the dream for them and piss so many mystery team fans off. Oh God as a Raider fan would I be mad to cut Carr then pay DJ more than Carr and a first round pick.

10 minutes ago, Trojan said:

if a tag is $15mil less per year than what he wants, why would he play on a tag instead of sit out and become an expensive headache?

While we like to make this correlation - sit when you get franchise tagged - the reality is that it rarely happens, and it’s usual disastrous to the player (LeVeon Bell comes to mind). $15mm less is still more than $0 earned income - if he sat outright on a tag, the team is not on the hook to pay him anything, so he’s losing more money than he’s ever made to this point in his career (and more money than he would have made of the Giants exercised his 5th year option, honestly). 

Sitting out a full year like that is reserved for elite, market setting players - and Danny Jones has never been that person. If he tried that move, he might have played his last down of football, he’d be toxic to other GMs and his resume to this point doesn’t dictate such a power move.

15 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Theres no way a team pays DJ and gives the Giants a first that'd be the dream for them and piss so many mystery team fans off.

And I get that - what it really meant to be is a reality check for the player and agent. The market and response (or… lack of response) will dictate what you’re worth, and both will quickly see there is no market for him that he’s envisioning. We’re an off-season removed from Deshaun Watson and Russell Wilson getting traded for MUCH more in terms of picks as well as contract demands, so teams WILL pay for quality QB play; Once Jones and his representation see the phone not ringing, they’ll then come to the negotiating table a little more humble, realizing nobody sees him the way they see him.

It’s more a psychological ploy than a tactical move: “Go ahead, talk to other teams. Heck, let ‘em know we’re open to negotiating different terms than two firsts. You will see you’re not as in demand as you think you are, people don’t think you’re that valuable.”

• Like 1