trenches

3rivers

will the FO add 2 quality starters and 1 reserve for the trenches  

1 member has voted

1. 1. will the FO ad 2 quality starters and 1 reserve for the trenches

• 1 starting OL UFA , 1 starting DT UFA and 1 reserve (either OL or DT)
    • 1 reserve OL (draft early RD pick) but have existing starting OL from 2022 be the same for 2023, RD3 or later for DT
    • more resources spent on WR and TE to help KP and then for defence address ILB
    • keep players they drafted, overpay them and not have much left to sign UFA's
    • overpay the non-trench UFA and then rely on draft for depth for OL and DT

43 minutes ago, mwalker said:

On the OL we'll have...

OT D.Moore        LT
LG K.Dotson       LG  K.Green
OC M.Cole          OC J.Hassenauer
RG J.Daniels       RG  
RT Chuks            RT

On the DL we'll have...

DE  D.Leal            DE I.Loudermilk
NT                        NT  M.Adams
DT  C.Heyward   DT R.Wren

My dream of-season (for the trenches):

Sign  OG N.Davis or B.Powers (Dotson becomes your back up swing OG)
Sign  DL J.Hargrave or (cheaper) A.Robinson

Draft J.Duncan/O.Oluwatimi and M.Smith/M.Morris

I should add the Steelers brass never follow my plans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mwalker said:

I should add the Steelers brass never follow my plans.

this is a new FO though, so wait and see.  I have no idea how analytics affects talent evaluation and signings. 

as for Torrence,  lets hope if they get him he will be comparable to DeCastro.  

This is a great draft to get a center and decent to get a OG.  LT is thin and you would need to go in early or take a chance later on a prospect.

NT are undervalued so they will fall into the 2nd and 3rd rounds but I really do not think Tomlin wants a traditional NT in his system.  Karl Brooks is more in line with what he wants. Tyree Wilson should drop as he offers next to nothing as a EDGe pass rusher and would fit the Cam Heyward mold if they move him inside and put 20lbs on him.

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

This is a great draft to get a center and decent to get a OG.  LT is thin and you would need to go in early or take a chance later on a prospect.

NT are undervalued so they will fall into the 2nd and 3rd rounds but I really do not think Tomlin wants a traditional NT in his system.  Karl Brooks is more in line with what he wants. Tyree Wilson should drop as he offers next to nothing as a EDGe pass rusher and would fit the Cam Heyward mold if they move him inside and put 20lbs on him.

Do you think Mazi Smith is someone they would target in the 2nd or he is too “pure NT”?

From what I understand he is a beast against the run but offers little pass rush juice. 

I think Tomlin highly values a run stuffer on his line, but the issue is he just doesn't value it the way us fans do.  We value a old school Hampton type run stuffing stout NT.  I think Tomlin just values having someone on that line that forces a double on run game.  For a while it was Tuitt at DE so Heyward and Hargrave got singles.  We quasi had it in Alualu/Adams, but the issue was they weren't consistent and were wiped away in pass downs because you didn't need to still double them.

13 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I think Tomlin highly values a run stuffer on his line, but the issue is he just doesn't value it the way us fans do.  We value a old school Hampton type run stuffing stout NT.  I think Tomlin just values having someone on that line that forces a double on run game.  For a while it was Tuitt at DE so Heyward and Hargrave got singles.  We quasi had it in Alualu/Adams, but the issue was they weren't consistent and were wiped away in pass downs because you didn't need to still double them.

I would really like to grab Tuli Tuipulotu from USC for our D-line. He's got 5-tech size and EDGE skills. I could see him slotting into the Tuitt position. If he tests reasonably well, I'd take him at 17 honestly. He can play Robin to Cam's Batman for a few years before taking over as the Dude. Maybe that'll allow some of our guys, Loudermilk, Adams, and Leal to improve or for the FO find some new talent. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Hargrave is more of the "NT" that Tomlin likes.  That is why I pointed to Karl Brooks in this draft.

Mazi Smith is a Casey Hampton type NT.  He does not get moved backwards.  Has some issues if forced to move left or right too much but you can put him in the middle of your line and he will not get moved even on double teams ( that I saw)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Hargrave is more of the "NT" that Tomlin likes.  That is why I pointed to Karl Brooks in this draft.

Mazi Smith is a Casey Hampton type NT.  He does not get moved backwards.  Has some issues if forced to move left or right too much but you can put him in the middle of your line and he will not get moved even on double teams ( that I saw)

Yea. I can’t think of the right wording for it. It’s like the move NT who’s a pass rush asset while the DE is more the run stuffer. I actually rather like it too. That method makes Cam such a mismatch for OTs and puts a TE on the ROLB. 

11 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I would really like to grab Tuli Tuipulotu from USC for our D-line. He's got 5-tech size and EDGE skills. I could see him slotting into the Tuitt position. If he tests reasonably well, I'd take him at 17 honestly. He can play Robin to Cam's Batman for a few years before taking over as the Dude. Maybe that'll allow some of our guys, Loudermilk, Adams, and Leal to improve or for the FO find some new talent. 

I would move back for Tuli. Additionally it sounds like your describing Leal. 

Speaking of trenches, I've got a question about Isaiahh Loudermilk. When he came out of school I remember him being right at 300 lbs. I've been looking around(because I'm bored and my students are doing an assignment lol) at his stuff and most sites say he was 274 lbs coming out. Anybody have a clearer memory of that?

If that second weight is true, I feel considerably less worried about his career. He's had to pack on some serious mass to get up to our 5-tech weight. I new he was about as raw as they come as a prospect, but I didn't realize he had to gain so much weight on top of that. I hate to put unrealistic expectations on him, but mid round pick at D-line, has to gain a lot of size and strength, doesn't play much first couple years kind of gives me Aaron Smith vibes. If he turns into half of what Demo Man was, that's a huge win. I also give it about equal odds he doesn't make the team next year.  

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I would move back for Tuli. Additionally it sounds like your describing Leal. 

Similar size for sure. I viewed Leal as more of an interior guy, though. Leal never really proved he belonged on the EDGE in college. His best season was his second to last and IIRC he played mostly 3-tech. Tuli has shown elite EDGE skills for his size. Granted they were in different conferences. 

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Similar size for sure. I viewed Leal as more of an interior guy, though. Leal never really proved he belonged on the EDGE in college. His best season was his second to last and IIRC he played mostly 3-tech. Tuli has shown elite EDGE skills for his size. Granted they were in different conferences. 

Leal took more snaps as the edge defender than interior. End of year he was about 270. I think he’s a 7 T. 

6 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Speaking of trenches, I've got a question about Isaiahh Loudermilk. When he came out of school I remember him being right at 300 lbs. I've been looking around(because I'm bored and my students are doing an assignment lol) at his stuff and most sites say he was 274 lbs coming out. Anybody have a clearer memory of that?

If that second weight is true, I feel considerably less worried about his career. He's had to pack on some serious mass to get up to our 5-tech weight. I new he was about as raw as they come as a prospect, but I didn't realize he had to gain so much weight on top of that. I hate to put unrealistic expectations on him, but mid round pick at D-line, has to gain a lot of size and strength, doesn't play much first couple years kind of gives me Aaron Smith vibes. If he turns into half of what Demo Man was, that's a huge win. I also give it about equal odds he doesn't make the team next year.  

Combine was 275 because combine. Played about 295.