Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

On 2/3/2022 at 3:24 AM, Thaiphoon said:

https://fbschedules.com/james-madison-to-begin-play-in-sun-belt-conference-in-2022/

JMU will play a full FBS schedule this coming Fall. Paving the way for being bowl eligible in 2023 (if they get the waiver from NCAA which they should). ODU, Marshall and Southern Miss will be a year behind because C-USA are bitter tyrants. 

Awesome 😎 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

WOW ! that is awful.. Really painted themselves into a corner .

Classic case of keeping a guy too long. They couldn’t bring themselves to cut the cord, but they should have. Instead they just kept clinging to fainter and fainter hope.

The restructure they did this past offseason, after trading Julio, was just really bad business. It freed up a bunch of cap room…but for what? They needed to take their medicine then, and instead they signed on for at least two more years of Matty High Price. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Tony Boselli making the Hall of Fame over Jacoby is stupid. Jacoby not being in is ridiculous. 

It’s just an effin travesty at this point! The writers/league have totally botched this as well as Brian Mitchell & London Fletcher not being in the Hall of Fame.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Tony Boselli making the Hall of Fame over Jacoby is stupid. Jacoby not being in is ridiculous. 

Boselli is getting the Terrell Davis treatment: an extremely great and elite run for a handful of years. 

Why Joe isn't in I will never know. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

It’s just an effin travesty at this point! The writers/league have totally botched this as well as Brian Mitchell & London Fletcher not being in the Hall of Fame.

I get Boselli, as he is still considered the gold standard of OL talent by some.  Even with some legends playing in the same era like Ogden and Pace, his name rose above them at his peak.  

I can also understand why Jacoby would get a snub because of the legacy of the Hogs, and how perception is that they were a unit more than individual talent.  I’d say that’s incorrect, but that seems to be the current perception of voters.  

As for Mitchell and Fletcher……those guys are Hall of Very Good, but not Hall of Fame.  

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

As for Mitchell and Fletcher……those guys are Hall of Very Good, but not Hall of Fame.  

Mitchell is Hall of Very Good. 

But if Sam Mills, Bryant Young, and Leroy Butler are HOFers, so is London Fletcher. I’m not even a huge London advocate, in terms of his historical standing. I don’t think he is on the same plane as guys like Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher, who defined their defenses and were the faces of the NFL on that side of the ball. 

But those guys are not generational, transformative players either. They’re just really good players who played for a long time and stood among the best at their position and have a particular meaning to that snapshot of NFL history. London is in that class, for sure. 

The NFL Offensive Player of The Year Award has only been won by 3 different WRs 4 total times since 1972. It’s typically been a QB or RB award. The FCS has claimed 3 of those 4 with 2 former players.
Jerry Rice (2X)
Cooper Kupp
(Michael Thomas is the other WR to win this award)

Lawrence Taylor (HOF): "Jacoby was one of the lineman that always gave me trouble, because he was so big, and so quick and so long; the hardest thing for me to deal with. A very tough player, we had such great battles. For a bigger guy, he was able to move, so although I was more athletic, he could really hold his own. The HOGS were all excellent players, but certainly Joe and Russ (Grimm, HOF-2010) were the anchors of that line. To do it, for as long as he did, on such a high level, it's a surprise to me that he's not in Canton already."

Randy White (HOF): "Joe blocked down on me a number of times and he was like a damn tank. I know that Harvey Martin had the utmost respect for Joe. The Redskins had a heck of an offensive line, but Grimm and Jacoby were the anchors. I think Joe should be in the Hall of Fame. If I had a vote, I'd vote for him."

Coach Bill Parcells (HOF): "Joe was certainly up there among the best. Joe had a lot of toughness and he was a pretty smart player. We had difficulty fooling him. There were some very, very good speed rushers back then and Joe did well against them. He was pretty good in the running game, too. Joe was a very, very critical part in the championships (the Redskins) won."
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:
The NFL Offensive Player of The Year Award has only been won by 3 different WRs 4 total times since 1972. It’s typically been a QB or RB award. The FCS has claimed 3 of those 4 with 2 former players.
Jerry Rice (2X)
Cooper Kupp
(Michael Thomas is the other WR to win this award)

You mean the same Michael Thomas that played at Ohio State and that Gruden wanted to draft but McLoughan wanted Doctson so that’s who we took?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I get Boselli, as he is still considered the gold standard of OL talent by some.  Even with some legends playing in the same era like Ogden and Pace, his name rose above them at his peak.  

I can also understand why Jacoby would get a snub because of the legacy of the Hogs, and how perception is that they were a unit more than individual talent.  I’d say that’s incorrect, but that seems to be the current perception of voters.  

If were going by stats then I say differently. Mitchell & Fletcher’s contributions, stats, and longevity are not appreciated. Fletcher being an Ironman at MLB is also a badge of honor which they could celebrate, Rey Lewis and Urlacher weren’t that.

Fletcher won a Super Bowl with the Rams then got to one & lost. Brian Mitchell was the return man on the 1991-92 team.

Their resumes line up with others.

• Like 1