Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

Hey Brothers- Been taking a break from posting ( did you miss me?) but had to vent a little about the NBA All Star game. Had the great opportunity to be there in person which should be on everyone’s bucket list. The events before the game are a great party!!! Lots of opportunities to meet lots of young and aspiring people who want to meet rich guys. :) 

And the game was pretty good too.

Now to the venting- Who the H E double toothpicks sang the National Anthem? I thought you could have picked any streetwalker ( yeah dating myself with this pre-internet reference) would have done much better. That was an embarrassment!! Never ever seen a worse performance 

And our Bullet ( yeah our PC owner stupidly changed the name to some witchcraft reference lol reinforcing Lil Danny’s only redeeming quality as Redskins owner) represented himself very well. Beal was awesome and if he had a bit more PT his team would have won and he would have been MVP

lastly, if two guys aren’t playing for Team Curry, why not pick guys who will actually play in the game? Seems like that should be a basic requirement.

ok boys, off to the series of after party’s. I’ll be looking for a triple header tonight.

Doc out! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

Hey Brothers- Been taking a break from posting ( did you miss me?) but had to vent a little about the NBA All Star game. Had the great opportunity to be there in person which should be on everyone’s bucket list. The events before the game are a great party!!! Lots of opportunities to meet lots of young and aspiring people who want to meet rich guys. :) 

And the game was pretty good too.

Now to the venting- Who the H E double toothpicks sang the National Anthem? I thought you could have picked any streetwalker ( yeah dating myself with this pre-internet reference) would have done much better. That was an embarrassment!! Never ever seen a worse performance 

And our Bullet ( yeah our PC owner stupidly changed the name to some witchcraft reference lol reinforcing Lil Danny’s only redeeming quality as Redskins owner) represented himself very well. Beal was awesome and if he had a bit more PT his team would have won and he would have been MVP

lastly, if two guys aren’t playing for Team Curry, why not pick guys who will actually play in the game? Seems like that should be a basic requirement.

ok boys, off to the series of after party’s. I’ll be looking for a triple header tonight.

Doc out! 

Fergie sang the anthem, and its being universally panned on the internet.  She swung for the fences with an original take on the anthem and missed.  It sounded pretty bad to me as well. 

Jimmy Butler on team Curry apparently had the flu, which is why he didn't play.  

• Like 1

So, last night as I was heading home and Nick Ashooh (I had to look up his name) was covering Overtime. I wish they had his segment on WJFK's website, so I could play it for you Wizards fans.

Basically, his point (and something I've tried to explain, but he did a much better job) was that the Wizards may in fact be at their ceiling. He started off by talking up Kelly Oubre and Tomas Santoransky, and that the Wizards now have depth in the back court so they won't need to run John Wall and Bradley Beal into the ground again. His point, however, was that the Celtics were going to get better with Gordon Heyward returning, that everyone sleeps on the Raptors, that if the Cavaliers keep LeBron they will still be in contention due to having the best player of his generation, and that the Bucks and maybe the 76ers were on the rise as well. What do the Wizards do to keep pace?

Well, they're already in the luxury tax because of the three max deals they've given to Wall, Beal, and Otto Porter, so likely any free agent acquisitions are out unless they want to pay even more (my side commentary: no free agent seems to want to come to DC regardless of the salary cap situation, but I could be wrong). They could trade Oubre and/or Santoransky for other players (but that's less likely to help because they are again in the luxury tax and cheaper/equivalent options are unlikely to be available). They could trade either player for picks (either in 2018 or gamble for better position in 2019). They could trade one of the "big three" in hopes someone takes on their contract (more likely Beal or Porter) and then use Oubre and Santo to fill in the hole. Or, they could just hold serve, hope that the improvement in depth means they can push forward, and fill in the rest of team with bargain basement pickups and draft picks.

The main problem with all of the "growth" options can be summarized in just two words: Ernie Grunfeld.

Ashooh even said that Grunfeld was good at fixing his mistakes, but pointed out that he made in the first place. His analogy was spot on: yes, he was able to put out the kitchen fire he started using a handy fire extinguisher he found, but he started the fire in the first place. Given that the Wizards were rumored to be shopping their first round pick again at the trade deadline, it feels like only a matter of time before Grunfeld reaches for the matches.

Ashooh basically conceded that without any major changes, it may be that the Wizards are capped out at second round playoff exits. Maybe they get lucky with injuries to other teams. Maybe they are able to swindle another team into taking Gortat. Maybe they draft the next Greek Freak or some other late round star that no one saw coming to help bolster their front court.

But right now, the Wizards may be wasting the best roster they've had in franchise history since Wes Unseld was a player because they cannot overcome the boat anchor they have at GM.

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

So, last night as I was heading home and Nick Ashooh (I had to look up his name) was covering Overtime. I wish they had his segment on WJFK's website, so I could play it for you Wizards fans.

Basically, his point (and something I've tried to explain, but he did a much better job) was that the Wizards may in fact be at their ceiling. He started off by talking up Kelly Oubre and Tomas Santoransky, and that the Wizards now have depth in the back court so they won't need to run John Wall and Bradley Beal into the ground again. His point, however, was that the Celtics were going to get better with Gordon Heyward returning, that everyone sleeps on the Raptors, that if the Cavaliers keep LeBron they will still be in contention due to having the best player of his generation, and that the Bucks and maybe the 76ers were on the rise as well. What do the Wizards do to keep pace?

Well, they're already in the luxury tax because of the three max deals they've given to Wall, Beal, and Otto Porter, so likely any free agent acquisitions are out unless they want to pay even more (my side commentary: no free agent seems to want to come to DC regardless of the salary cap situation, but I could be wrong). They could trade Oubre and/or Santoransky for other players (but that's less likely to help because they are again in the luxury tax and cheaper/equivalent options are unlikely to be available). They could trade either player for picks (either in 2018 or gamble for better position in 2019). They could trade one of the "big three" in hopes someone takes on their contract (more likely Beal or Porter) and then use Oubre and Santo to fill in the hole. Or, they could just hold serve, hope that the improvement in depth means they can push forward, and fill in the rest of team with bargain basement pickups and draft picks.

The main problem with all of the "growth" options can be summarized in just two words: Ernie Grunfeld.

Ashooh even said that Grunfeld was good at fixing his mistakes, but pointed out that he made in the first place. His analogy was spot on: yes, he was able to put out the kitchen fire he started using a handy fire extinguisher he found, but he started the fire in the first place. Given that the Wizards were rumored to be shopping their first round pick again at the trade deadline, it feels like only a matter of time before Grunfeld reaches for the matches.

Ashooh basically conceded that without any major changes, it may be that the Wizards are capped out at second round playoff exits. Maybe they get lucky with injuries to other teams. Maybe they are able to swindle another team into taking Gortat. Maybe they draft the next Greek Freak or some other late round star that no one saw coming to help bolster their front court.

But right now, the Wizards may be wasting the best roster they've had in franchise history since Wes Unseld was a player because they cannot overcome the boat anchor they have at GM.

I've been really into the NBA lately because I hate the Redskins so much.  I have some thoughts about the Wizards:

Player Age 2017-18 2018-19 2019-20 2020-21 2021-22 2022-23 Signed Using Guaranteed
Otto Porter 24 $24,773,250 $26,011,913 $27,250,576 $28,489,239     Bird Rights $78,035,739
Bradley Beal 24 $23,775,506 $25,434,263 $27,093,019 $28,751,775     Cap Space $105,054,563
John Wall 27 $18,063,850 $19,169,800 $37,800,000 $40,824,000 $43,848,000 $46,872,000 Bird Rights $159,705,650
Ian Mahinmi 31 $16,661,641 $15,944,154 $15,450,051       Cap Space $48,055,846
Marcin Gortat 34 $12,782,609 $13,565,218         Bird Rights $26,347,827
Markieff Morris 28 $8,000,000 $8,600,000         Bird Rights $16,600,000
Jason Smith 31 $5,225,000 $5,450,000         Cap Space $5,225,000
Jodie Meeks 30 $3,290,000 $3,454,500         Bi-annual Exception $3,290,000
Tomas Satoransky 26 $3,000,000 $3,129,187         Cap Space $6,129,187
Kelly Oubre 22 $2,093,040 $3,208,630         1st round pick $5,301,670
Tim Frazier 27 $2,000,000           Room exception $2,000,000
Mike Scott 29 $1,709,538           Minimum Salary $1,709,538
Chris McCullough 23 $1,471,382           1st Round pick $1,471,382
Devin Robinson 22 TBD           Two-Way Contract $50,000

- They are capped out, and its going to get worse going forward when John Wall's mega extension kicks in in 2019-2020.  So what about trading Wall?  At first glance you're probably thinking there's no way anyone would trade for that contract, but the Pistons just traded for Blake Griffin who has an even worse contract.  But the return won't be much, the Clippers got Avery Bradley (on an expiring contract), 25-year old Tobias Harris on a relatively reasonable 4-year 16ish mil per year deal, a first round pick, and Center Boban Marjanovic which I'm assuming was just thrown in to make the salaries work.  Long story short, trading John Wall probably isn't going to net anything more than cap relief.  The NBA isn't like Baseball where you can trade an expensive vet for prospects.  Cap space is too valuable in the NBA.  If it were me I'd trade Wall and build around Beal and Porter.  

- Keeping Kelly Oubre is going to be extremely difficult because he hits FA when Wall's supermax kicks in.  Although he's been a great player off the bench for them, they need to seriously consider trading Oubre in the offseason.  

- They're paying both Gortat and Mahinmi too much money, but paying both is ridiculous.  Gortat will be on an expiring contract next year which teams that need cap relief will find desirable (they can "rent" him for a year then get him off the books).  They need to move Gortat this offseason and roll with Mahinmi as the starter at Center next year.  

- The Wizards need to stop trading their first round picks and start using them to keep low salary guys on the bench. 

I’m fine with the wizards continuing to be a 2nd round playoff team every year that may get lucky some year and get to the eastern conference finals or further. Lebron James is on the back end of his career and he may leave Cleveland after this year so they’re not going to be amazing forever.

I’m not at all for trading John Wall, that’s just a non-starter for most DC sports fans and Ted Leonsis will never ever do it.

I agree with @MKnight82 ‘s last 2 paragraphs. They are paying Gortat and Mahinmi too much. I wanted the wizards to trade Gortat at the 2016-17 trade deadline. I’m not happy he’s still on the team and wasn’t moved a year ago, in July or at some point during this season. I definitely agree they need to move Gortat this offseason and roll with Mahinmi as the starter. Then, they can have Jason Smith as his back up and play more small ball with Markieff Morris as the center too.

I also definitely agree they need to quit trading away their 1st round picks. I’m elated they didn’t do that at the trade deadline this year.

Edited by turtle28

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

I’m fine with the wizards continuing to be a 2nd round playoff team every year that may get lucky some year and get to the eastern conference finals or further. Lebron James is on the back end of his career and he may leave Cleveland after this year so they’re not going to be amazing forever.

I’m not at all for trading John Wall, that’s just a non-starter for most DC sports fans and Ted Leonsis will never ever do it.

John Wall gets paid entirely too much money though.  It’s crippling the teams cap.

On 2/20/2018 at 7:50 PM, MKnight82 said:

John Wall gets paid entirely too much money though.  It’s crippling the teams cap.

It’s not Wall. It’s that the team is playing both Gorat and Mahinmi a starting center’s salary and neither are worthy.

Edited by turtle28