AJ Green Retiring

General Tso

16 minutes ago, General Tso said:
In all seriousness, great career, you could argue at one point he was WR1.

I don’t think you really can. 

But it’s a crime this man never got to play with a real QB! Serious skill + physical talent at the WR position.

2 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

But it’s a crime this man never got to play with a real QB! Serious skill + physical talent at the WR position.

I'm pretty sure I saw on this exact site (old board) some people arguing him #1 amongst his contemporaries.

2 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Agreed. I don't think he ever touched #1 - Calvin, Antonio, Julio pretty much ran his peak years - but he was consistently Top 5. I always enjoyed watching him play from Day 1. Heck of a player. One of those Hall of Very Good ones. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, General Tso said:

I'm pretty sure I saw on this exact site (old board) some people arguing him #1 amongst his contemporaries.

There are people on here that call Max Crosby the best pass rusher in the NFL too, that doesn’t mean it’s arguable. I don’t think there was a single season where Green wasn’t overshadowed by Julio/Megatron/AB. 

On 2/6/2023 at 2:41 PM, MikeT14 said:

Agreed. I don't think he ever touched #1 - Calvin, Antonio, Julio pretty much ran his peak years - but he was consistently Top 5. I always enjoyed watching him play from Day 1. Heck of a player. One of those Hall of Very Good ones. 

He was sort of a rich man’s Larry Fitzgerald IMO. Fitz was probably closer to #1 than Green was at certain points (largely due to competition IMO) and played longer, but similar type of player in the league.

Edited by Yin-Yang

4 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

He was sort of Fitzgerald-lite IMO. Fitz was probably closer to #1 than Green was at certain points (largely due to competition IMO) and played longer, but similar type of player in the league.

Was about to argue until I re-read and saw the word lite. Phew that was close 

But there were a few years where Calvin and Larry were considered 1A and 1B before Calvin took a firm hold on the spot. Larry was most certainly a WR1 in his career

22 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

one of the more sudden severe drop-offs in recent memory. Enjoy retirement, AJ

Sudden to us, optically. He tore his hamstring in 2016, didn't seem as explosive afterwards even though he was still super productive. And then he had that toe/foot injury in 2018 as a 30 year old, missed a handful of games, came back and then aggravated it and missed the remainder of the season. And THEN he hurt his ankle first day of training camp the following year and missed the entire season as a 31-year-old.

Lot of lower body injuries for an older big WR, he had absolutely zero explosion by the time he was in AZ. He was called out by Greg Dortch and Rondale Moore for jogging when he wasn't the primary read and quitting on routes. Main reason he got phased out of the offense. 

• Like 1