2017 Training Camp Thread

turtle28

His responsibility is to react to the ball and go after the ball carrier once he realizes its a run play. You slide down the line and chase. Why is Big Boy Phil Taylor or whomever the NT is still chasing the ball carrier and Compton gives up. 

Compton sucks. Flat out. He didn't get one contract offer this off season when he was tendered original round. We would get nothing in return for a team signing him and they didn't. Yet he is a defensive captain on the Redskins.  He should not be on the roster and we should be looking for replacements for him to work alongside Brown. 

The talent level of Compton is no better than the talent level of David Hasselhoff. 

1 hour ago, mike23md said:

His responsibility is to react to the ball and go after the ball carrier once he realizes its a run play. You slide down the line and chase. Why is Big Boy Phil Taylor or whomever the NT is still chasing the ball carrier and Compton gives up. 

Compton sucks. Flat out. He didn't get one contract offer this off season when he was tendered original round. We would get nothing in return for a team signing him and they didn't. Yet he is a defensive captain on the Redskins.  He should not be on the roster and we should be looking for replacements for him to work alongside Brown. 

The talent level of Compton is no better than the talent level of David Hasselhoff. 

Hey now, don't hassle the Hoff.

Agreed that Compton could have done more on the play but again, it was Cravens who was coming in and took a horrible angle. So Compton didn't try to run down Chris Thompson in practice where they aren't even in full pads, big deal, but if you notice from Phil Taylor's post, he's clearly going after the safeties - Cravens & Swearinger - for being slow on the play because he was faster than them.

The fact that this has become once again all about Will Compton is ridiculous because it wasn't just him that looked poor on that run play and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a tackling play meaning that if they were allowed to tackle on the play Compton would have hit or at least dove at Thompson but he didn't.

Mike23MD, we get it you don't like Will Compton and you're right, he shouldn't be starting. Hopefully, Foster is the starter & calls the plays and Brown starts next to him as the WILB because I think we can all agree that Brown would have made that play and will make a lot of plays that both Compton & Foster can't.

5 hours ago, mike23md said:

He did slide down the line though. He's just not as fast as we need him to be. I agree about him being on the roster. I just am not going to say he played the play wrong here. I think he did, but that it was a collection of factors.

On 8/8/2017 at 11:38 AM, MKnight82 said:

Ya its a joke the coaching staff is pretending he will start over Zach Brown.  

It's one thing to get beat on a play. It's a WHOLE ANOTHER THING to give a half-hearted arm tackle and then give up.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

The fact that this has become once again all about Will Compton is ridiculous because it wasn't just him that looked poor on that run play and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a tackling play meaning that if they were allowed to tackle on the play Compton would have hit or at least dove at Thompson but he didn't.

Go back and watch. He puts out an arm, and when he gets beat, he pulls up. That is completely unacceptable.

In comparison, Swearinger (who is even further to the right of the field (from the perspective of the camera)) reads the play and starts hustling towards the play. Now, he doesn't make the tackle either, but he tried. Heck, Swearinger wasn't even in the picture at the start of the play. Phil friggin' Taylor was running down the field trying to make the play. Effort matters.

One thing that may have been missed: The reason the play went outside is because Mason Foster came through untouched between Long (who barely blocks Taylor before handing him off to Lauvao so he can stand in the gap after the fact) and Scherff ... only to be stoned by Niles Paul in the backfield. That said, turtle28 is probably right that this play would come back because Scherff held Ziggy Hood.

15 hours ago, Woz said:

Go back and watch. He puts out an arm, and when he gets beat, he pulls up. That is completely unacceptable.

In comparison, Swearinger (who is even further to the right of the field (from the perspective of the camera)) reads the play and starts hustling towards the play. Now, he doesn't make the tackle either, but he tried. Heck, Swearinger wasn't even in the picture at the start of the play. Phil friggin' Taylor was running down the field trying to make the play. Effort matters.

One thing that may have been missed: The reason the play went outside is because Mason Foster came through untouched between Long (who barely blocks Taylor before handing him off to Lauvao so he can stand in the gap after the fact) and Scherff ... only to be stoned by Niles Paul in the backfield. That said, turtle28 is probably right that this play would come back because Scherff held Ziggy Hood.

While there is a hold, Compton is not aware of it, and should play as a part to the whistle. He got beat out of the play, gave up and let the better players give the effort. 

Do you really want him on the roster? I never would have considered him a lock to make the team and play like that certainly raises the eyebrow as to his commitment to giving effort to making the team vs. his mindset that he doesn't have to give effort to make the team. 

21 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Do you really want him on the roster? I never would have considered him a lock to make the team and play like that certainly raises the eyebrow as to his commitment to giving effort to making the team vs. his mindset that he doesn't have to give effort to make the team. 

I think given our lack of depth at the position Compton makes the team, but if we had drafted an ILB in last year's draft I would think his job would be in jeopardy. 

Considering he knows the defense as good as the coaches and several of the back ups don't hardly know the defense at all and JHC is just learning to play the ILB position, I think Compton makes the team.

Compton is not good, but we didn't exactly do much to improve the overall depth of our ILB position this offseason. 

Zack Brown's issue is all mental and if we have a player out there who doesn't know what he's doing it could be that much worse for our defense. 

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

I think given our lack of depth at the position Compton makes the team, but if we had drafted an ILB in last year's draft I would think his job would be in jeopardy. 

Considering he knows the defense as good as the coaches and several of the back ups don't hardly know the defense at all and JHC is just learning to play the ILB position, I think Compton makes the team.

Compton is not good, but we didn't exactly do much to improve the overall depth of our ILB position this offseason. 

Zack Brown's issue is all mental and if we have a player out there who doesn't know what he's doing it could be that much worse for our defense. 

Fine. Maybe. But Brown and Foster showed more effort in the preseason game than Compton. They can at least shed tackles and pursue. If Compton was committed to the team and put his effort into it, I wouldn't be so hard on the guy, but frankly, he shouldn't act as if he is a shoe in to make the team, and if you feel like you could start anywhere else in the league, then prove it. 

3 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Fine. Maybe. But Brown and Foster showed more effort in the preseason game than Compton. They can at least shed tackles and pursue. If Compton was committed to the team and put his effort into it, I wouldn't be so hard on the guy, but frankly, he shouldn't act as if he is a shoe in to make the team, and if you feel like you could start anywhere else in the league, then prove it. 

It's really not a "maybe" about Brown, it's a serious issue. Again, if I was putting the starters together he would not be one of my starters. I would have Mason Foster starting and calling the defense, Brown playing WILB so he can run around and make plays and Compton would just be a back up but I can't stay thatbis what Manusky & Gruden will decide.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It's really not a "maybe" about Brown, it's a serious issue. Again, if I was putting the starters together he would not be one of my starters. I would have Mason Foster starting and calling the defense, Brown playing WILB so he can run around and make plays and Compton would just be a back up but I can't stay thatbis what Manusky & Gruden will decide.

What is the mental issue? I dont care who is calling the plays between Foster and Brown if they are the starters, so long as Compton is not inflated to be more than he is. An average back up that should have been upgraded 2 years ago. I believe in putting the best players on the field, and Compton is just not one of them. If he is a reserve and is subject to ST's duty, fine, so be it. Let him prove that he can excel there. But to put him in control of calling plays and assignments when he doesn't give the effort on every play regardless of practice in pads or shorts, as a fan, I don't want him anywhere on the field during game time. Keep him on the bench. Period. 

Brown and Foster should be the starters and frankly, I would move Anderson inside. (I know you don't agree and I don't want to make it about that, but that is what I would push to do, if I were a coach, cause its either him or Murphy with the logjam we have at EDGE) 

1 hour ago, mike23md said:

What is the mental issue? I dont care who is calling the plays between Foster and Brown if they are the starters, so long as Compton is not inflated to be more than he is. An average back up that should have been upgraded 2 years ago. I believe in putting the best players on the field, and Compton is just not one of them. If he is a reserve and is subject to ST's duty, fine, so be it. Let him prove that he can excel there. But to put him in control of calling plays and assignments when he doesn't give the effort on every play regardless of practice in pads or shorts, as a fan, I don't want him anywhere on the field during game time. Keep him on the bench. Period. 

Brown and Foster should be the starters and frankly, I would move Anderson inside. (I know you don't agree and I don't want to make it about that, but that is what I would push to do, if I were a coach, cause its either him or Murphy with the logjam we have at EDGE) 

Brown's not very smart. It's the same issue Perry Riley had. I've heard he doesn't know the defense well and certainly can't call the plays. 

Anderson has never played ILB. Moving him there at this point doesn't make much sense. It's clear they're not going to do that. If they were they would have started him at ILB just like they did with Sua Cravens last year.

18 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Brown's not very smart. It's the same issue Perry Riley had. I've heard he doesn't know the defense well and certainly can't call the plays. 

Anderson has never played ILB. Moving him there at this point doesn't make much sense. It's clear they're not going to do that. If they were they would have started him at ILB just like they did with Sua Cravens last year.

Of course he doesn't know the defense well, he's been in it for 3 months. He's a better player than Compton. Compton shouldn't even be in the league, let alone starting. It's an embarrassment to have a pro bowler sitting in favor of Compton. 

Archived