The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

3 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Call me crazy but I’d trade #30 for Ramsey no problem. An elite level CB at 28 years old paired next to Slay, try to bring Epps back at a reasonable price and either get a vet Safety or let Blankenship ride. Elite level CB play opens up a lot for Safeties and will make their jobs much easier. If we got an MLB and figured out DT our defense would be looking damn solid. Obviously a lot depends on the Hurts extension and who we are looking to bring back but they could get the money to get that deal done. 

I did hear rumors that BG and Cox’s market aren’t looking too great according to some Twitter rumors(take with a grain of salt obviously). Possible we could get one or both back on cheaper deals. BG is a rotational guy at this point and Cox clearly isn’t what he once was. Just something to think about. 

#30 for Ramsey would be something I’d be ok with.   But I wouldn’t be shocked if another team spent more.  

5 hours ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Call me crazy but I’d trade #30 for Ramsey no problem. An elite level CB at 28 years old paired next to Slay, try to bring Epps back at a reasonable price and either get a vet Safety or let Blankenship ride. Elite level CB play opens up a lot for Safeties and will make their jobs much easier. If we got an MLB and figured out DT our defense would be looking damn solid. Obviously a lot depends on the Hurts extension and who we are looking to bring back but they could get the money to get that deal done. 

I did hear rumors that BG and Cox’s market aren’t looking too great according to some Twitter rumors(take with a grain of salt obviously). Possible we could get one or both back on cheaper deals. BG is a rotational guy at this point and Cox clearly isn’t what he once was. Just something to think about. 

I'd do it too. Especially if Dallas is in the race for him. 

Yeah we were talking about BG n Cox. BGs deal is rumored to be like 2 years around 6 million. Hopefully the same for Cox if he's brought back as well

2 hours ago, 4for4PhillyFan said:

This has a 2018 feel to it.  I love BG and Kelce, but the same mistakes is what got the Eagles and Howie in a hole talent-wise after 2017.   

Kelce was playing his best football last season. I don’t see him falling off a cliff this year by any means. BG is just a rotational guy. Having him be a sub package 20 snap player isn’t a big commitment and he can definitely still set the edge and get up field. Very fine bringing him back in a limited role on the cheap. 

8 minutes ago, 4for4PhillyFan said:

Also, If they bring Cox back again then I hope it’s not for more that $6-$8/year  Otherwise, no thanks.  

I'd rather they just move on at this point. if BG would take 6-8 a year I'd keep him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ninjapirate said:

I'd rather they just move on at this point. if BG would take 6-8 a year I'd keep him.

Yep.  $6 is the number being rumored.  If we let Cox walk, as I think k we should, that makes Breese a BIG possibility.   Odd prospect.  Athletic and big.  But light in the shorts and plays tall.  Concerned he’d be a liability in the run game.  

12 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

@downundermike is excellent at breaking down contracts, and understanding much of the minutia when it comes to cap, and other rules relating to roster construction. On an individual level. You guys will appreciate having him around, especially during this time of year.

When it comes to discussions on eagles cap from a global perspective....there seems to be a disconnect.

My main issue is not reducing that dead cap number the last couple of years.

That is why you have to sign a Bradberry to a 1 year deal with void money the following year, instead of doing a 2 year deal, so you are actually getting a player on the field for that cap hit in year 2.

Then you trade draft capital for a guy like CJGJ, but because of the continued and rising dead cap, you can not re sign him, so you are getting 1 year rental for two draft picks.

Eagles already have 54 million in dead cap this year, 22 million more than any other team.   There is more potential dead money depending on the unknowns in the Kelce, Graham and Cox contracts.  I read something last week that we could be north of 65 million dead at the start of the league year.

I am not saying you can't have dead cap, but imagine if we were 27th in dead cap instead of 32nd, we would have another 35 million in cap room.  If we only had half of the dead cap we currently have, we would still rank 30th in dead cap.

5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

My main issue is not reducing that dead cap number the last couple of years.

That is why you have to sign a Bradberry to a 1 year deal with void money the following year, instead of doing a 2 year deal, so you are actually getting a player on the field for that cap hit in year 2.

Then you trade draft capital for a guy like CJGJ, but because of the continued and rising dead cap, you can not re sign him, so you are getting 1 year rental for two draft picks.

Eagles already have 54 million in dead cap this year, 22 million more than any other team.   There is more potential dead money depending on the unknowns in the Kelce, Graham and Cox contracts.  I read something last week that we could be north of 65 million dead at the start of the league year.

I am not saying you can't have dead cap, but imagine if we were 27th in dead cap instead of 32nd, we would have another 35 million in cap room.  If we only had half of the dead cap we currently have, we would still rank 30th in dead cap.

Do you even know how many years it will take to get that dead money back to a reasonable level? I imagine because of the ghost years we still have this issue a few more seasons.

5 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

Do you even know how many years it will take to get that dead money back to a reasonable level? I imagine because of the ghost years we still have this issue a few more seasons.

Not sure, but should work on shrinking it every year.  I am curious to see what they do with Graham, Kelce and Cox before the start of the league year.

Graham has a cap hit of 9.6 this year, and void dead hit of 10.1 million next year.  They have to do something with his deal immediately

The Eagles included four additional years on the contract which will essentially serve as void years for salary cap proration. Technically there are massive salaries in the late years of the contract that will guarantee if Graham is on the roster on the 2nd day of the 2023 league year. The reason for this instead of the void is to allow the Eagles to use a June 1 cut provision in 2023 and split the remaining dead money in the contract between 2023 and 2024.

Kelce, 9 million cap hit this year, and void dead hit of 13.8 million next year. They also have to do something with his deal immediately.

The 2023 season is a placeholder in the event that Kelce retires or is released. He has a $2.75 million roster bonus that is guaranteed that year. If on the roster after June 2nd of 2023 a large guarantee kicks in for 2024.

Cox, just let him go.  5 million dead each of the next two years, on top of his already 15.3 million dead this year.

I have a google sheet I track the impact of the restructures.   Sure, it looks goo on March 9th that the Eagles have 42 million in cap space for next year, but we will not have 42 million in 2024 cap space in a couple of weeks.