The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

2 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

RIP FF Eagles FA panic 3/13/23 - 3/14/23. 

I mean, isn’t it just good strategy? Hey, we like you but we have a number for you. If you find a better deal I’ll be the first to shake your hand. But please, come back to us first before signing a new deal, see what we can do. Surely it doesn’t work with everyone but it keeps you from negotiating with yourself at times. 

Howie has his numbers. I don’t think he overpays for guys. He has what he believes is fair market value and if it’s a number he’s not comfortable with, he can let go. I don’t see anything wrong with how he handles FA. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jroc04 said:

I’d be worried if I was Slay. Well, maybe not worried but wouldn’t expect Howie to keep both. Glad JB is back but think it means the end to Slay here. 

Not sure I follow. I think the Eagles want to keep Slay, I just think Slay wants an extension but the Eagles aren't giving him one. So them giving his agent a chance to find a team willing to give him one is just part of negotiations. If they find him the extension sure they will trade him, but I am not sure a team is going to be looking to extending him due to his age.

Guess we will see, but I definitely don't think Slay is for sure gone this year. Next year? Yeah he is gone.

2 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

I mean, isn’t it just good strategy? Hey, we like you but we have a number for you. If you find a better deal I’ll be the first to shake your hand. But please, come back to us first before signing a new deal, see what we can do. Surely it doesn’t work with everyone but it keeps you from negotiating with yourself at times. 

Howie has his numbers. I don’t think he overpays for guys. He has what he believes is fair market value and if it’s a number he’s not comfortable with, he can let go. I don’t see anything wrong with how he handles FA. 

I agree with everything you said and feel the same. Just a general comment about the panic that happens here year after year in free agency. 

• Like 2

Just now, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Not sure I follow. I think the Eagles want to keep Slay, I just think Slay wants an extension but the Eagles aren't giving him one. So them giving his agent a chance to find a team willing to give him one is just part of negotiations. If they find him the extension sure they will trade him, but I am not sure a team is going to be looking to extending him due to his age.

Guess we will see, but I definitely don't think Slay is for sure gone this year. Next year? Yeah he is gone.

I just think last year was a push year and going more conservative would be prudent. Usually when there’s rumblings, someone’s upset with the position. Eagles want you cheaper, player wants more money? Slay might realize the market isn’t paying so he may sit tight but could see Howie hitting him with an ultimatum with his contract and Slay calling bluff. Knowing we have JB back puts Howie back in control. Easier to get one starting CB than two. Just would be uneasy if I was Slay. 

5 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

I agree with everything you said and feel the same. Just a general comment about the panic that happens here year after year in free agency. 

Just adding on. Wasn’t trying to rebut you. Apologies if it came off that way. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

I’d be worried if I was Slay. Well, maybe not worried but wouldn’t expect Howie to keep both. Glad JB is back but think it means the end to Slay here. 

Slay isn't going anywhere.  It would save 3.7 million and leave 22.4 million dead to cut or trade him.

Eagles are going to have to create cap space for the 3 deals they did today.

Lane and Slay are the only contracts you can restructure to create space.  In fact, they are the only two players with a base salary of more then 5 million after the rest or the restructuring nonsense the last two years.

Just looking at it, the Eagles have done so much restructuring, they only have 4 players with a base salary over 2 million dollars.

Slay - 17 million

Lane - 14.155 million

Hurts - 4.204 million

Quez - 2.743 million.

Just now, Jroc04 said:

I just think last year was a push year and going more conservative would be prudent. Usually when there’s rumblings, someone’s upset with the position. Eagles want you cheaper, player wants more money? Slay might realize the market isn’t paying so he may sit tight but could see Howie hitting him with an ultimatum with his contract and Slay calling bluff. Knowing we have JB back puts Howie back in control. Easier to get one starting CB than two. Just would be uneasy if I was Slay. 

Sure he is definitely uneasy. I agree with that. Just not sure I agree this a sign we are moving on from him.

Howie definitely likes to play the market and he is good moving on from guys before they fall off, but he has shown repeatedly he cares most about making the Eagles the best he can year in and year out. Next year is the year Howie wants out on Slay.

I think he wants to keep Slay, but he isn't going to hold onto a disgruntled player either. If Slay can get his deal elsewhere go do it. If not he is getting paid 17 mil this year which is hardly chump change. Play your deal out and test FA next season.

8 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Slay has the power in this situation.

6 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Slay isn't going anywhere.  It would save 3.7 million and leave 22.4 million dead to cut or trade him.

Eagles are going to have to create cap space for the 3 deals they did today.

Lane and Slay are the only contracts you can restructure to create space.  In fact, they are the only two players with a base salary of more then 5 million after the rest or the restructuring nonsense the last two years.

Just looking at it, the Eagles have done so much restructuring, they only have 4 players with a base salary over 2 million dollars.

Slay - 17 million

Lane - 14.155 million

Hurts - 4.204 million

Quez - 2.743 million.

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Slay has the power in this situation.

Or just wait until June 1st and it’s easier to swallow. If Slay finds a desperate enough team, which can happen, closer to start of season I don’t think Howie would say no to some good compensation. He can deal with the dead cap. 

Mind you, I’d rather keep the band together and have posted about Howie keeping Slay but it puts a doubt in my mind and gives the FO an escape if needed now. 

2 minutes ago, Jroc04 said:

Or just wait until June 1st and it’s easier to swallow. If Slay finds a desperate enough team, which can happen, closer to start of season I don’t think Howie would say no to some good compensation. He can deal with the dead cap. 

Mind you, I’d rather keep the band together and have posted about Howie keeping Slay but it puts a doubt in my mind and gives the FO an escape if needed now. 

Eagles only have $1,014,181 in effective cap space at the moment ( that is top 51 and draft picks )

They are going to need space to sign Penny, Scott and Bradberry to their contracts tomorrow, and the $6,532,537 cap space without the picks is not gonna cover it.

As I posted above, Slay and Johnson are the only contracts they can restructure for cap space.

10 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Sure he is definitely uneasy. I agree with that. Just not sure I agree this a sign we are moving on from him.

Howie definitely likes to play the market and he is good moving on from guys before they fall off, but he has shown repeatedly he cares most about making the Eagles the best he can year in and year out. Next year is the year Howie wants out on Slay.

I think he wants to keep Slay, but he isn't going to hold onto a disgruntled player either. If Slay can get his deal elsewhere go do it. If not he is getting paid 17 mil this year which is hardly chump change. Play your deal out and test FA next season.

I don’t think it’s a sign. I can just see it happening now. Before I thought there wasn’t a chance unless a team just knocked Howie over with compensation. Just doesn’t look like the off-season for CBs to make their demands though. If a contender loses a big CB in TC I can see Howie licking his chops. 

Just now, downundermike said:

Eagles only have $1,014,181 in effective cap space at the moment ( that is top 51 and draft picks )

They are going to need space to sign Penny, Scott and Bradberry to their contracts tomorrow, and the $6,532,537 cap space without the picks is not gonna cover it.

As I posted above, Slay and Johnson are the only contracts they can restructure for cap space.

So Howie told Slay he can look for a trade to just tease him? 

1 minute ago, Jroc04 said:

I don’t think it’s a sign. I can just see it happening now. Before I thought there wasn’t a chance unless a team just knocked Howie over with compensation. Just doesn’t look like the off-season for CBs to make their demands though. If a contender loses a big CB in TC I can see Howie licking his chops. 

That is fair.