Bruce Willis diagnosed with Frontotemporal Dementia

downundermike

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Been through cancer with Mom, Dad, Father in Law and Grandma the last 5 years.  I could not even imagine having to deal with dementia.

2nd only to ALS, honestly. Been through the cancer thing myself with family. I work in home health so watching patients with ALS decline is by far the worst thing I have ever seen medically. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, biggie. said:

This is why I'm terrified of getting old. My dad is pushing 70 and he's borderline Alzheimer's.

It's what got my grandpa at 75.

I have an employee who is 67, retiring in 6 months. Over the last year we have noticed it starting and it's really sad to see. His dad had it as well. 

On 2/16/2023 at 5:44 PM, minutemancl said:

My wife said FTD is awful. Your sense of time and space is all thrown off and you have no inhibitions, no filter. She's worked with people with FTD and they are just the absolute worst people to be around. And worst, it's not their fault!

Yeah, my grandpa would say anything and everything that came to his mind, and could be so cruel it was almost funny at times. Once in awhile he would recognize us grandkids, but especially in the last year there wasn't much recognition. 

The worst part for me was when the real him would come out, sometimes he looked so afraid. It's heartbreaking

• Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 8:28 AM, adamq said:

It's what got my grandpa at 75.

I have an employee who is 67, retiring in 6 months. Over the last year we have noticed it starting and it's really sad to see. His dad had it as well. 

It's why I'm trying to get out of sedentary desk tops, eating right and exercising 6 times per week.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, biggie. said:

It's why I'm trying to get out of sedentary desk tops, eating right and exercising 6 times per week.

I do this too. I also focus on being as stress free as possible. I work 3 jobs but I also get to pick my own schedule at all of them. So there are times where I work 2-3 weeks straight but then have 2 weeks off. It’s great. Harder to save for retirement, but still great. I’m working 8 total hours this week but I’m doing 60ish next week in a 4 day period. Have to find yourself a work/life balance.