John Fox is still employed

G08

37 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I disagree. They know Fox is a dead fish (Lovie was entrenched and recently took Chicago to a Super Bowl game when they got here in 2010) and know Trubisky has more money going to him on his rookie deal than Fox's contract. Plus if they can make Chicago's offense worthwhile, you think they wouldn't get a HC opportunity elsewhere? We can block lateral moves and moves from positional coach to coordinators, but not HC opportunities. They also would know he has one year on his deal.

Also we got Gase and Fangio, who were both up and coming coaches. So I feel that Fox on his last year would have up and coming coaches salivating as they know he is a goner.

I just don't see it, the Gase and Fangio was a different situation because Fox was a new hire and they had guaranteed job security for a couple of years.  I can't off the top of my head think of one situation where an up coming coach has gone into a situation like this if the Bears kept Fox.

11 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

I just don't see it, the Gase and Fangio was a different situation because Fox was a new hire and they had guaranteed job security for a couple of years.  I can't off the top of my head think of one situation where an up coming coach has gone into a situation like this if the Bears kept Fox.

Koetter was not someone setting the world on fire but showing potential and then he saw the same chance as here. Mediocre HC (Lovie is better than Fox too IMO) and a franchise QB was bound to be chosen with the first overall pick. He knew he would have Winston or Mariota and the Bucs made sure that their franchise QB kept the system and person to develop him over the mediocre coach.We already have the QB and several players, so the next HC has a better start than most new HCs (not ones named Tomlin anyway lol)

That being said, I'd be shocked to see Fox on the sidelines at all in 2018, let alone for the Bears. Little more chance than Gruden or Cowher coming back to coaching, just to show how unlikely I feel it will be.

Just now, Sugashane said:

Koetter was not someone setting the world on fire but saw the same chance as here. Mediocre HC (Lovie is better than Fox too IMO) and a franchise QB was bound to be chosen with the first overall pick. He knew he would have Winston or Mariota and the Bucs made sure that their franchise QB kept the system and person to develop him over the mediocre coach.

That being said, I'd be shocked to see Fox on the sidelines at all in 2018, let alone for the Bears. Little more chance than Gruden or Cowher coming back to coaching, just to show how unlikely I feel it will be.

I looked at him before I posted that, Dirk was the OC for two years before taking over as the head coach. I think it was a mistake not going after Kyle Shanahan this past off season especially if Pace knew he was going to go after Trubisky.

1 minute ago, blkwdw13 said:

I looked at him before I posted that, Dirk was the OC for two years before taking over as the head coach. I think it was a mistake not going after Kyle Shanahan this past off season especially if Pace knew he was going to go after Trubisky.

Yep, he was OC for ATL for 3 years and in 2 of them had Matt get his 2 highest QBRs and passing TDs (up to that point in his career).

We missed out on Shanahan, I was all aboard that train. But I think we are looking at an OC regardless this year to take over. I'd love to take Reich as HC and get DeFilippo as the new OC. Be one hell of a consolidation prize and DeFilippo would, as you mentioned, get job security.

12 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

We missed out on Shanahan, I was all aboard that train. But I think we are looking at an OC regardless this year to take over. I'd love to take Reich as HC and get DeFilippo as the new OC. Be one hell of a consolidation prize and DeFilippo would, as you mentioned, get job security.

I mentioned in another thread that getting Reich and DeFilippo would be the home run hires.

50 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

I mentioned in another thread that getting Reich and DeFilippo would be the home run hires.

And with DeFilippo being denied the opportunity to interview for OC positions as he was promised, I think this is the chance to get him. He is on the last year of his contract. Plus if Reich goes and he gets promoted in PHI, he is up for a hell of a task  to match this season's production and Wentz will have a hard time bettering his numbers (assuming there isn't a second half fallout). He will want to go somewhere else IMO.

12 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

You are not going to get both.  Let's say Reich leaves for the Bears HC job,  DeFilippo automatically becomes the OC in Philly and there's no way they let him leave unless it's for a HC opportunity.  Let's say DeFilippo is hired as HC of Bears, why would Reich make a lateral move to Chicago to be OC?

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

You are not going to get both.  Let's say Reich leaves for the Bears HC job,  DeFilippo automatically becomes the OC in Philly and there's no way they let him leave unless it's for a HC opportunity.  Let's say DeFilippo is hired as HC of Bears, why would Reich make a lateral move to Chicago to be OC?

Bingo.

4 hours ago, topwop1 said:

DeFilippo is out of contract in Philly and they cannot stop him from doing anything.

Defilippo can come to Chicago and call plays which would be a selling feature.

5 hours ago, topwop1 said:

This isn't necessarily true, DeFilippo does not have a contract after this season he can go where he wants.  If Reich happens to be the HC of the Bears he could either go with him to become an OC which is what Philly denied him last season, he might have a little resentment towards them.  Either way no one knows what is going to happen with the Bears or any coaching candidates.

17 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

This isn't necessarily true, DeFilippo does not have a contract after this season he can go where he wants.  If Reich happens to be the HC of the Bears he could either go with him to become an OC which is what Philly denied him last season, he might have a little resentment towards them.  Either way no one knows what is going to happen with the Bears or any coaching candidates.

Yup who really knows but if Reich leaves then I would be surprised if DeFilippo doesn't remain in Philly as OC.  It is probably his best chance to get a head coaching opportunity as soon as he wants considering the chemistry he has with Wentz.

So I was listening to the DaBearsBlog podcast and he was talking about his source in Halas Hall and gave run down about what happened Monday.

-There was legit optimism coming into the Packers game and they thought the 2nd half of the season was going to be a big step.

-On Monday morning George and Ted were livid with the sloppy game coming out of the bye and were as upset as they were during the Trestman era.

-If Pace wanted to fire Fox on Monday, Ted and George would have okayed it.

-The front office is livid about continuing to lose games that they should win, they are concerned about the record.

-He has held that Pace doesn't want to fire Fox, but he said that went out the window.

-Jeff, the author, says he would not be surprised if Fox is fired Monday if they lose badly.

Take it for what you will.

8 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

So I was listening to the DaBearsBlog podcast and he was talking about his source in Halas Hall and gave run down about what happened Monday.

-There was legit optimism coming into the Packers game and they thought the 2nd half of the season was going to be a big step.

-On Monday morning George and Ted were livid with the sloppy game coming out of the bye and were as upset as they were during the Trestman era.

-The front office is livid about continuing to lose games that they should win, they are concerned about the record.

-He has held that Pace doesn't want to fire Fox, but he said that went out the window.

-Jeff, the author, says he would not be surprised if Fox is fired Monday if they lose badly.

I don't believe a word that clown says.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Wait, who’s the source on this? I don’t doubt that some of it may be true, but I’ve read some stuff over the past few years that has been really suspect.

Archived