John Fox is still employed

G08

2 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Don't kid yourself in thinking that the point is other GM's viewed Glennon as a franchise QB.  

The point is more that by signing Glennon to that contract, it made other teams think that QB wasn't as pressing of a need for the Bears at #3 overall, not that they wouldn't look to draft a QB at some point.

I thought Glennon was a huge mistake, but after reading come comments about the potential signing and actual signing, more than one 'analyst' thought it gave the Bears the chance to select a QB in the later rounds. One guy even compared him to Ryan.

If evaluating Glennon is any sort of benchmark for GM worthy evaluations of player talent, especially with regards to top NFL pick calculations, then not only I, but several other posters on this board and two loud drunks at the local Buffalo Wings should be up for the next GM positions that hit the market and my earlier statement " ...anybody dumb enough to be faked out by Glennon as a franchise QB would be faked out by Osweiler  too." still stands as I was clearly over-estimating the NFL knowledge of these guys.

What about Frank Reich as our next head coach? Philadelphia’s offense has been awesome this year and Carson Wentz’s development since last year has been huge. He interviewed for Buffalo’s head coach opening after Rex Ryan was fired though it’s hard to know whether he was a serious candidate for just a courtesy to a former player there. 

38 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

What about Frank Reich as our next head coach? Philadelphia’s offense has been awesome this year and Carson Wentz’s development since last year has been huge. He interviewed for Buffalo’s head coach opening after Rex Ryan was fired though it’s hard to know whether he was a serious candidate for just a courtesy to a former player there. 

I get extremely scared with the thought of hiring the one year flavor of the week OC as a HC. McVay is the exception not the rule. 

Give me Harbaugh or McDaniels.

15 minutes ago, pigsooie5 said:

I get extremely scared with the thought of hiring the one year flavor of the week OC as a HC. McVay is the exception not the rule. 

Give me Harbaugh or McDaniels.

He would definitely be behind both of those guys for me as well. I just don’t think we can rule any legitimate option out, and I think Reich is just that. Does anyone know Harbaugh‘s out language with Michigan?  I can’t see ownership paying some huge sum just for the right to pay him $10 million year to coach. Both he and McD probably have enough clout to command some personnel control as well which may take them off the table for Pace. 

I have a feeling our next head coach is either going to be Sean Payton or Pete Carmichael, and neither of those are even remotely enticing to me. 

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

He would definitely be behind both of those guys for me as well. I just don’t think we can rule any legitimate option out, and I think Reich is just that. Does anyone know Harbaugh‘s out language with Michigan?  I can’t see ownership paying some huge sum just for the right to pay him $10 million year to coach. Both he and McD probably have enough clout to command some personnel control as well which may take them off the table for Pace. 

I have a feeling our next head coach is either going to be Sean Payton or Pete Carmichael, and neither of those are even remotely enticing to me. 

Come on, AZ... this face doesn't excite you??

86255e_carmichael_02042010.jpg

Forget McDaniels and Harbaugh. Those two will not be hired under Pace. No way.  Frank Reich could be an option. His name has been circling around the past few seasons.

One interesting and under the radar name to watch is Matt LaFleur OC of the Rams.

I came across this article today. Could he be the type of high risk high reward hire Pace looks to make next?

Harbaugh and McDaniels are the only guys who are A+ hires to me.

I’m neutral on Reich.

I still think Arians is a good fit, but his health is a major question.

There are a lot of qualified guys who are real snoozers: Linehan, Carmichael, Shula, Bevell, etc.

Jim Bob Cooter: the Lions offense has been super lame forever. Pass.

Unfortunately a lot of the other top candidates are defensive guys.

Hoge and Jahns 

1. Both teed off on Fox for the sloppiness, mistakes and penalties.

2. Both said they believe the hot seat is there when they didn't in the offseason.

3. They thought that Ryan Pace likes Loggains.

4. They said that John Fox dictates a lot on offense and Loggains wants to do more and be more creative.

5. Said that if their is a coaching change they would not be surprised if Loggains survived to the next staff.

Ben Albright was tweeting today about Matt Lafleur who is apparently on a mediocrity rise to NFL HC.

Ben Albright

Is a hot name around the league... Very smart guy.

Albert Breer

8. Here’s a coaching name to watch: Matt LaFleur. He was Matt Ryan’s position coach for the QB’s MVP season last year, and this year has a hand in the renaissance of Jared Goff. Rams coach Sean McVay mentioned LaFleur as a key there, and LaFluer’s relationships with both McVay and Kyle Shanahan won’t hurt his advancement down the line, that’s for sure.

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Ben Albright was tweeting today about Matt Lafleur who is apparently on a mediocrity rise to NFL HC.

Ben Albright

Albert Breer

Did you mean meteoric rise?

It's also worth noting that Loggains worked under Kyle Shanahan when they were both with the Browns, so there is a connection there if Loggains were to survive and LaFleur was a legitimate option.

10 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

Harbaugh and McDaniels are the only guys who are A+ hires to me.

I’m neutral on Reich.

I still think Arians is a good fit, but his health is a major question.

There are a lot of qualified guys who are real snoozers: Linehan, Carmichael, Shula, Bevell, etc.

Jim Bob Cooter: the Lions offense has been super lame forever. Pass.

Unfortunately a lot of the other top candidates are defensive guys.

Ugh...those two guys are the typical answers people will say when asked who they want as their next head coach...

I don't think you can say that the Lions offense has been super lame forever.  Cooter has Stafford playing some of his best football ever and this is after they lost one of the best WRs to ever play the game in CJ.  He's a good offensive mind.  The arrests are a bit concerning though.

Why do you feel that guys like Carmichael, Shula and Bevell are snoozers?

10 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Ugh...those two guys are the typical answers people will say when asked who they want as their next head coach...

I don't think you can say that the Lions offense has been super lame forever.  Cooter has Stafford playing some of his best football ever and this is after they lost one of the best WRs to ever play the game in CJ.  He's a good offensive mind.  The arrests are a bit concerning though.

Why do you feel that guys like Carmichael, Shula and Bevell are snoozers?

Yeah, I know Harbaugh and McDaniels are the meathead answers.

Harbaugh: brings a lot of energy that’s lacking right now. Instant fan favorite. His OC choice would be critical though.

McDaniels: young but experienced. Unquestionably the top candidate on the market. I think the style of the Patriots offense fits the Bears personally very well.

Cooter: yeah, he has Stafford playing some good ball, and that’s important. But what else is there? It’s “hey Matt, you do it all” and nothing else. Stafford probably isn’t going to make it through the season because he’s slinging the ball constantly and taking way too many sacks, and the run game has been non-existent since Barry Sanders.

Carmichael: similar situation to Detroit. The QB does everything, and he has one of the best ever. The Saints have been bad for a long time.

Shula: I really like what he has done with Cam Newton, who also was pretty inexperienced coming out of college. I guess he’s okay, and what Carolina does would be a decent fit here.

Bevell: did good work with Russell Wilson, but this guy is potentially the blandest hire possible. Zero to get exited about.

I’m not saying anybody I named with be a bad hire, but which guys don’t you have to talk yourselves into liking?

22 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I know that McDaniels is someone that people do not like.

But he makes a ton of sense for what the Bears need to get done and the personnel that they have.

McDaniels gets murdered for losing Cutler almost out of the gate. In hindsight, McDaniel was right to run away from Cutler as fast as he possible could and move on. What it took the Bears several years to figure out in what they had in Cutler, McDaniels must have figured out in weeks.

Archived