John Fox is still employed

G08

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I was talking about in "league circle" and with other players.

I would hope our players care. Maybe they will realize how tenuous the NFL is when you lose and will chase wins a little harder.

This one was a while back. You guys have been at it hard this afternoon.  

It’d be incredibly naive to think players don’t understand how tenuous their careers are. Especially the fringe guys. With all of the body bags around HH this and last year how could one not understand that?

You mentioned in different posts players having checked out and worrying about developing a losing culture. I think Pace will and should use that in his evaluation of what of the roster he wants to keep beyond 2017. Who still wants it with a lame duck coach in December of a lost season? Everyone is invested when things are going well. Who busts their *** when there is nothing but pride on the line? Those are the guys you build around. Those are the guys that breed a winning culture in the locker room. They’re the ones that become the leaders of your team and hold the team accountable to itself. If you’re looking for a reason to keep Fox around for another 28 days (and I’m not trying to find one) then that’s a legitimate one IMO. Self-scouting is arguably Pace’s most important role as GM  

Look at our team right now, and which guys are NOT checked out. The list is a who’s who of the guys that are the perceived to be looked upon as the foundation of this team’s future: Trubisky, Howard, Cohen, Long, Sitton, Whitehair, Hicks, Goldman, Trevathan, Floyd before injury, Fuller if he wants to come back, Amos before injury. That’s the core of the team. Those are the guys I’m most concerned with and those guys are the ones continuing to show out in a lost season. I see that as encouraging personally.

Also, how can you tell which guys are phoning it in versus guys who just aren’t any good? Would you know the difference between disinterested Josh Bellamy or Marcus Cooper or Markus Wheaton and the interested version? 

48 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think you over estimate how much the NFL resembles a junior high girls basketball team.

Most of these guys would step on John Fox's throat to take his job.

Hell I'd step on Fox's throat just for a single stale corn chip. Then I'd throw away the corn chip.

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

As I said in another thread I can't get over how brutal John Fox has been.

With his resume I never expected it to be unprofessional.

I am truly stunned by what we are seeing from a coaching perspective.

He's been awful.  I cant think of one game over the past 3 years where I look back and say the coaching staff really won that game for us.  I guess the one highlight is beating Green Bay last Thanksgiving on their own turf, but other than that it has been an extreme failure.

Mind you it hasn't been all on Fox. The quality of players on the rosters he's coached hasn't exactly been great, but you would expect a coach of his stature to get more out of his players, and he hasn't done that in large part during his time here.

37 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

He's been awful.  I cant think of one game over the past 3 years where I look back and say the coaching staff really won that game for us.  I guess the one highlight is beating Green Bay last Thanksgiving on their own turf, but other than that it has been an extreme failure.

Mind you it hasn't been all on Fox. The quality of players on the rosters he's coached hasn't exactly been great, but you would expect a coach of his stature to get more out of his players, and he hasn't done that in large part during his time here.

It has me a little concerned, that perhaps this is an organizational or a roster issue.

A coach with Fox's resume should at least be competent and competitive.

So either the game violently passed Fox by, or there are bigger issues.

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

It has me a little concerned, that perhaps this is an organizational or a roster issue.

A coach with Fox's resume should at least be competent and competitive.

So either the game violently passed Fox by, or there are bigger issues.

We'd all be lying if we said that the overall level of talent on this team is where it needs to be, so that doesn't help Fox's case, but the fact that this team is so unprepared and undisciplined on a weekly basis has me thinking it's more on coaching.  Also, running the same damn predictable scheme week in and week out isn't doing him any favors.

Has the game passed him by or has he always been a conservative coach who micromanages his coordinators and doesn't pay close attention to detail?  He's always benefited from having solid defenses in his past two stops (Denver, Carolina).

16 hours ago, WindyCity said:

John Fox is negatively effecting the development of important young players.

That is the end of the conversation.

Agreed Pace needs to take control and fire fox like McAdoo.  What he is doing to Sheehen is in excusable.  He needs to be playing Simms gives the bears nothing.  Secondly I think the fox regime is hurting Mitch. Mitch's footwork decision making and confidence all looked better in pre season then it does now.   

Years and years and years of AWFUL drafting by Jerry Angelo and Phil Emery has finally caught up to us, and Pace is the one cleaning up the mess.

I'm not pinning this on him... I like a lot of the foundational pieces that he's acquired. His FA approach needs work, and I'm willing to bet he'll loosen up the checkbook now that he knows his *** is on the line.

6 minutes ago, G08 said:

Years and years and years of AWFUL drafting by Jerry Angelo and Phil Emery has finally caught up to us, and Pace is the one cleaning up the mess.

I'm not pinning this on him... I like a lot of the foundational pieces that he's acquired. His FA approach needs work, and I'm willing to bet he'll loosen up the checkbook now that he knows his *** is on the line.

this is why we are not getting a McDaniels caliber head coach to take over for fox.  Pace has another bad year in 2018 and he is gone.  The next bears head coach is in a horrible situation from the start.  The bears need to clean house or extend pace now to give the next head coach some confidence that this will be more then a one or two year job. 

3 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

this is why we are not getting a McDaniels caliber head coach to take over for fox.  Pace has another bad year in 2018 and he is gone.  The next bears head coach is in a horrible situation from the start.  The bears need to clean house or extend pace now to give the next head coach some confidence that this will be more then a one or two year job. 

This is precisely why we need to "reach" for a John DeFilippo. He's not ready yet, in my opinion, but this is the risk we need to take.

Either that or give Pace a 2 year extension once you sign that next head coach (tie them together).

19 minutes ago, Rogerthat said:

As much as you would like to think he is, Pace will not be gone with another bad year in 2018.  

My feeling is that ownership will probably look to extend Pace after this season to give him a vote of confidence that he's the guy they want leading this team, and in turn this will help to attract the top coaching candidates who will be available on the market come January.

If they feel uneasy about Pace going forward then they won't allow him to fire Fox this year and hire a new coach.  They will let the ship go down together.

I keep going back to this, but the fact that Pace is an important part of the renovations at Halas Hall over the next few years tells us that he isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

I’m pleased with the job he’s done. He talked from the beginning about how this was going to take time, about how we needed to be patient. I told him I’m not a patient person but I promised him that I would be patient.

^^^^ George McCaskey

Pace isn't going anywhere, guys.

Archived