John Fox is still employed

G08

I was watching some of the Chiefs-Jets game, which was Nagy calling plays and I walked away pretty impressed.

Alex Smith had a huge day 19/33 for 366 yards and 4 TDs.

Couple Things I Liked

-They use spread concepts  to spread the field horizantelly

-But while stretching it from sideline to sideline they always have 1 serious vertical threat to stretch vertically

-They mix up the vertical threat between Hill on the outside, Kelce in the slot, and a couple times they had Wilson do it from teh flexed out slot

-They use the screen game a ton to all of the players on the field.

8 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I was watching some of the Chiefs-Jets game, which was Nagy calling plays and I walked away pretty impressed.

Alex Smith had a huge day 19/33 for 366 yards and 4 TDs.

Couple Things I Liked

-They use spread concepts  to spread the field horizantelly

-But while stretching it from sideline to sideline they always have 1 serious vertical threat to stretch vertically

-They mix up the vertical threat between Hill on the outside, Kelce in the slot, and a couple times they had Wilson do it from teh flexed out slot

-They use the screen game a ton to all of the players on the field.

Watching the Chiefs you can't help but wonder how strong their offense would be if they had a healty O line, or if they had a better O line to begin with.  They've had a Bearsesque shuffle all year.  

One trend that has been repeated over and over lately is that you can have a decent QB looking fantastic with a great O line and decent-to good RB, and that once the O line falls back they whole offense looks bad. Think of Dak.  Great QB's can overcome this, but average-good ones can't.  I'd love for the Bears to trade back into the first round teens in the next draft and get an OT or even OG, and use the extra picks to get WR and OLD in 2/3 rds. 

5 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Watching the Chiefs you can't help but wonder how strong their offense would be if they had a healty O line, or if they had a better O line to begin with.  They've had a Bearsesque shuffle all year.  

One trend that has been repeated over and over lately is that you can have a decent QB looking fantastic with a great O line and decent-to good RB, and that once the O line falls back they whole offense looks bad. Think of Dak.  Great QB's can overcome this, but average-good ones can't.  I'd love for the Bears to trade back into the first round teens in the next draft and get an OT or even OG, and use the extra picks to get WR and OLD in 2/3 rds. 

So much of this is going to depend on where we finish. If we pick 2 or 3 I think we either take Chubb or trade to a QB-needy team for a king’s ransom. I’m totally good on both of those options. If we end up between 4 and 10 I think we are more likely to make our pick. 

1 minute ago, Rogerthat said:

How about bill cowher as head coach ? 

CEO type of coach 

C'mon man... people are still bringing up Cowher as a potential head coach?  The guy hasn;t coached in over 10 years.  Doubt he makes a comeback now and if for whatever reason he did, I think there are better options than him to be the next coach of the Bears.

Same goes for Chucky aka Jon Gruden.  These guys are past their prime.

I want a young hungry guy who can grow with Pace and Trubisky, not another old retread.

8 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

C'mon man... people are still bringing up Cowher as a potential head coach?  The guy hasn;t coached in over 10 years.  Doubt he makes a comeback now and if for whatever reason he did, I think there are better options than him to be the next coach of the Bears.

Same goes for Chucky aka Jon Gruden.  These guys are past their prime.

I want a young hungry guy who can grow with Pace and Trubisky, not another old retread.

Bingo... the game has changed so much since Cowher retired. The teams with the most success have innovative offenses and just younger coaches in general. 

One of the most frustrating parts to the John Fox era is that we were told he was great at assembling strong staffs. That hasn’t really been the case. Yeah Gase, but there isn’t a must keep guy on any part of our coaching staff if Fox is let go. It’s telling that there is no viable in-house interim candidate. 

2 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

One of the most frustrating parts to the John Fox era is that we were told he was great at assembling strong staffs. That hasn’t really been the case. Yeah Gase, but there isn’t a must keep guy on any part of our coaching staff if Fox is let go. It’s telling that there is no viable in-house interim candidate. 

Fangio would be an easy in house candidate. I think Fox's initial staff was extremely strong. He made a mistake in promoting Loggins IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

Fangio would be an easy in house candidate. I think Fox's initial staff was extremely strong. He made a mistake in promoting Loggins IMO. 

Yes Fangio would be but it has been mentioned that he doesn't want to be nor does Pace want to make that move.

20 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Fangio/Gase was a solid get... sucks that Gase got poached.

Doing a write up on Matt Nagy. There are some fascinating elements to the Chiefs offense that I think would fit Trubisky well.

The rumour was that the Chiefs had a deal to 5 for Trubisky, but obviously he went early.

Maybe an easier sell with Nagy than a guy from a team that was not as high on him.

Just now, WindyCity said:

Doing a write up on Matt Nagy. There are some fascinating elements to the Chiefs offense that I think would fit Trubisky well.

The rumour was that the Chiefs had a deal to 5 for Trubisky, but obviously he went early.

Maybe an easier sell with Nagy than a guy from a team that was not as high on him.

I heard a beat reporter for the Chiefs talk pretty highly about Nagy. He said he thinks he's ready to be a Head Coach, and he even went so far as to say that he thinks he's in better shape to do so than Doug Peterson was. Take that for what it's worth. He also said that Nagy has the respect of the Chiefs across multiple levels... I took that to mean both offensive and defensive players respect him.

I can dig it.

My top choice is still John DeFilippo, second choice is Matt Nagy.

2 hours ago, G08 said:

I heard a beat reporter for the Chiefs talk pretty highly about Nagy. He said he thinks he's ready to be a Head Coach, and he even went so far as to say that he thinks he's in better shape to do so than Doug Peterson was. Take that for what it's worth. He also said that Nagy has the respect of the Chiefs across multiple levels... I took that to mean both offensive and defensive players respect him.

I can dig it.

My top choice is still John DeFilippo, second choice is Matt Nagy.

Since he has taken over they have run a lot of RPO plays and had success. It is only 6 quarters, but that is a package that's Trubisky can really be successful in.

They also connect on deep shots, but they use scheme and play action to make them really easy for the weaker armed Alex Smith.

There are open deep shots because they run guys in front of deep defenders and dare them to jump it or stop their feet.

5 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Since he has taken over they have run a lot of RPO plays and had success. It is only 6 quarters, but that is a package that's Trubisky can really be successful in.

They also connect on deep shots, but they use scheme and play action to make them really easy for the weaker armed Alex Smith.

There are open deep shots because they run guys in front of deep defenders and dare them to jump it or stop their feet.

When did he officially take over playcalling? I thought it was last week vs the Jets.

Archived