John Fox is still employed

G08

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

Ok sure it was a bad signing but it happened for a reason and they got a stud in Wilson partially because of it.  I don't hear anyone calling Schneider a bad GM because of that signing do you?

Flynn and Wilson are not related.

You do not need to sign a crap QB to draft a good QB. You can just draft a good QB and save your money.

No Schneider has made a lot of incredible moves that have led to wins and on field success.

I am not calling for Pace's job, I am not calling for Pace's job because of Glennon. Glennon is just part of a serious pro personnel issue.

Just now, WindyCity said:

Flynn and Wilson are not related.

You do not need to sign a crap QB to draft a good QB. You can just draft a good QB and save your money.

No Schneider has made a lot of incredible moves. I am not calling for Pace's job, I am not calling for Pace's job because of Glennon. Glennon is just part of a serious pro personnel issue.

Ok but why are you so concerned about the Bears blowing their money on Glennon if Trubisky ends up working out?  Especially when they can cut him this offseason without any issue.

Instead of suggesting that it was a gross miscalculation of talent by Pace, instead maybe it was a low risk and calculated move by Pace that had some upside?  In FA sometimes you have to over pay for even average players, especially QBs.  Also, there weren't many other QB options out there in moving on from Cutler.  Hoyer?  I guess but how do we also know that Glennon wasn't signed because of Fox knowingly being in a make or break season and him wanting a veteran QB?

8 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Ok but why are you so concerned about the Bears blowing their money on Glennon if Trubisky ends up working out?  Especially when they can cut him this offseason without any issue.

Instead of suggesting that it was a gross miscalculation of talent by Pace, instead maybe it was a low risk and calculated move by Pace that had some upside?  In FA sometimes you have to over pay for even average players, especially QBs.  Also, there weren't many other QB options out there in moving on from Cutler.  Hoyer?  I guess but how do we also know that Glennon wasn't signed because of Fox knowingly being in a make or break season and him wanting a veteran QB?

If Trubisky works out I will be thrilled and Mike Glennon will still have been a massive waste of money.

You cannot fault Pace for the thought process, but the evaluation was horrendous.

26 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

..as a stopgap while planning to and eventually drafting a QB (Trubisky)....  

As AZ pointed out I guess you can say the same thing about Seattle GM John Schneider when he went out and signed Matt Flynn to that big contract before drafting Russell Wilson?  Real bad move in retrospect now huh?

And you are kidding yourself if you don't think that Pace is going hard self assessing and analyzing the current in house situation.  

Pretty different situation here. Wilson was a third round pick and a gamble. They expected Matt Flynn to be their starter. They got lucky with Wilson, Pace moved up to get Mitch which is totally different.

I have no problem swinging twice for a QB but Glennon was a disaster signing. 

9 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Was he fired?

I do not think NFL coaches are going to open up to Ryan Pace when the mayor of the NFL is next door.

No but he did wind up stepping down from the position on his own volition.

3 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

Pretty different situation here. Wilson was a third round pick and a gamble. They expected Matt Flynn to be their starter. They got lucky with Wilson, Pace moved up to get Mitch which is totally different.

I have no problem swinging twice for a QB but Glennon was a disaster signing. 

Yes he was, there is no denying that.  My point is no one will really remember or care if Trubisky ends up being good.

Also if Glennon was better than what he showed to be this year then would people be happy if it saved Fox's job?  Would this franchise be better off right now if they kept Cutler or Hoyer or Barkley instead?

13 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Yes he was, there is no denying that.  My point is no one will really remember or care if Trubisky ends up being good.

Also if Glennon was better than what he showed to be this year then would people be happy if it saved Fox's job?  Would this franchise be better off right now if they kept Cutler or Hoyer or Barkley instead?

I will remember. We should all remember.

Mistakes are not washed away by a subsequent success.

This franchise would have been better off if the 18 million had been invested in a better player or saved and rolled forward into next season. There is no upside to setting 18 million on fire.

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I will remember. We should all remember.

Mistakes are not washed away by a subsequent success.

This franchise would have been better off if the 18 million had been invested in a better player or saved and rolled forward into next season. There is no upside to setting 18 million on fire.

Well on the flip side you have to take as many shots at the QB position as possible. 2 is better than 1. 

Just now, Nads786 said:

Well on the flip side you have to take as many shots at the QB position as possible. 2 is better than 1. 

Yes, and let's not forget QB is one of the IF not THE hardest positions to get right in all pro sports. I would rather my GM take calculated risks to improve that position then be content with guys like Cutler, Hoyer and Barkley.

3 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Yes, and let's not forget QB is one of the IF not THE hardest positions to get right in all pro sports. I would rather my GM take calculated risks to improve that position then be content with guys like Cutler, Hoyer and Barkley.

It was not a calculated risk. It was just a risk.

He was/is awful.

Just now, WindyCity said:

It was not a calculated risk.

He was/is awful.

Hindsight is 20/20.  I don't recall you saying he was an awful player when he was signed.  You are of course saying that now that you've seen him play 4 games in a Bears uniform.

I didn't exactly like the signing either but I could understand why Pace did it.  Glennon was a known backup with some starter potential, like a Josh McCown type of QB.  No one was expecting him to come in and be the savior.  He was a pure 1-year stop gap that didn't work out, which was even more evident after Bears drafted Trubisky.  Time for people to get over it.

Archived