'Ders release Bobby McCain and Carson Wentz

MikeT14

Overthecap has us at 35 million in space right now which ranks 7th most.

it’s gonna be interesting with what happens with Payne. A franchise tag would leave us with around 15 mill if no other cuts.

I really think a tag and trade is going to be the most likely outcome. I also really think there could be a team at the end of the first that could decide to trade. If not it’s looking like a 2nd and some change. 

A future 1st for him could put us in a good situation as well. Allowing us to have ammo for a QB next year with Williams and Maye if Howell struggles 

The McCain thing is interesting to me, though. Because they’re creating a hole that they don’t really have to create.

It’s not like the $2.3M they’re saving is a game-changer. He’s still an okay player, and it’s entirely possible that they won’t find a better option in the FA market or the draft. They could easily have kept him until they made their FA moves, or until they see how the draft plays out for them. But they chose to cut him loose now. 

I think the most likely explanation is just an issue of respect, trying to give him a chance to latch on somewhere else prior to FA opening. Which is the kind of thing I do appreciate from the team, even though it’s not the best strategy from a cutthroat standpoint. 

But it also makes me wonder if they’re trying to free up a good bit of cap room for some purpose. The Wentz move gives them more than enough to eat the franchise tag for Payne, which seems to suggest there’s more on their minds. Would love it if this move was a precursor to a Curl extension.