Lukas Van Ness

JustPlainNasty

Can somebody fill in the blanks and or connect the dots for me on this guy. Im a little puzzled by the situation. 

Why did Lukas Van Ness not start and come off the field so much.  Can see the quickness and ability, but if Im a scout and GM im asking a few questions that vary from the norm for me for a guy with what appears to be superior ability than the others on his team. 

Started college when he was 19? Held back a year? But is two time All Conference Academic?  Redshirted his freshman year, no play at all?. Played 2 years but wasnt a starter and comes off the field an awful lot. 

• Like 1

The more I watch him the more I think I understand where the love is coming from.  He's very raw so would need to go to a DL where he can learn.  But he's a power rusher playing edge who isn't an edge.  Basically he was misused at Iowa.  He's a 3/5T.  Go back to some Cam Heyward or Aaron Smith college tape and you see some similar things happening where they were on 4 man fronts but that's not their best place of use.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, warfelg said:

The more I watch him the more I think I understand where the love is coming from.  He's very raw so would need to go to a DL where he can learn.  But he's a power rusher playing edge who isn't an edge.  Basically he was misused at Iowa.  He's a 3/5T.  Go back to some Cam Heyward or Aaron Smith college tape and you see some similar things happening where they were on 4 man fronts but that's not their best place of use.

So if you project him inside then he falls to a day 2 prospect but he is light for the Steelers.  He would need to gain about 30 lbs to move inside

15 minutes ago, jebrick said:

They why not just take Tuli who already has shown way more than Van Ness and is at 290?

Higher floor for sure, but I feel he has a lower ceiling. I think Tuli is going to test on but Van Ness is going to test great. Add on misuse at Iowa and it makes him a more tantalizing prospect. 

To be clear, I still think he should go 25-35. Just stating the case for why Van Ness can go earlier. 

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

I did not see it vs tOSU.  Horrible vs the run.  He is an upfield rusher with limited pass moves and no sand in his pants.  Some of that can be solved with experience.

Trust me I'm not fan of his. That's all Twitter raves about. He reminds me of Anthony Chickillo.

3rd round talent IMO.

Kinda reminds me of Leals situation.

Leal was projected 1st by many last year.   He fell due to alot of question marks about his overall game.

Van Ness has even more question marks.   He is a tweener with no clear position coming into the league.    Players like that worry me, especially early on.

Mid round may be worth a flier.

1st round pick would be on par with taking Artie Burns and Terrell Edmunds.  Massive reach based purely on potential.   

No thanks.

• Like 2

I don't like the idea of risky tweeners early in hte draft especially when the player on the roster (Highsmith) has been durable and keeps getting better.  Keep Highsmith, simple as that. With TJ on the field more and a slightly easy schedule, I see Highmith's  number  near league leading, say  4 more sacks and 3 more FF, so around 18S/7FF . Why give that up for unproven on this level?

The FO better keep highsmith, I don't want ILB Edmunds if it means they pass on Highsmith. 

Edited by 3rivers