Trevor Lawrence Vs. Justin Herbert

Greene N White

Trevor Lawrence vs Justin Herbert  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you taking?

• Trevor Lawrence
    • Justin Herbert

I got into an argument with a couple of my friends regarding Justin Herbert and Trevor Lawrence

Herbert set the league on fire his first 2 seasons in the league. Many people after year 1 and midway thru season 2 were actually taking him over Joe Burrow. Even after year 2 there were people out there still taking him over Joe Burrow. Many expected him to make that next step in 2022 and set the league on fire but obviously that didn't happen and he regressed slightly. Still put up fantastic #'s even with Keenan and Mike will getting hurt, but did not meet people's sky high expectations that they set for him. I think most would agree he's not in a tier with Mahomes and Burrow and is a step below Allen but still without a doubt is a franchise QB. 

Lawrence on the other hand had sky high expectations coming into the league and did not live up to them year 1. People were calling him a bust after 1 year because he did not live up to expectations. Obviously his situation was terrible so many of us shrugged it off, myself included,  but I'm just talking about the general perception around him. His expectations were not as high coming into 2022 as Herbert's. Many still thought he was a potential franchise QB but his expectations for 2022 were relatively low. He without a doubt exceeded his expectations for the year. 

If you look at their 2022 stats they played very similarly. However because Herbert did not live up to the expectations that were set for him and Trevor Lawrence exceeded his it seems as though Many are on the train that Trevor Lawrence is the option going forward. Every single one of my friends said they're taking Lawrence going forward whereas I am going with Herbert.

One thing to note on my end at least is that I did view Trevor Lawrence as the chosen one coming into the league and didn't write him off after year 1 like many did. I also thought Justin Herbert would be a bust. I honestly thought people were setting expectations waaaay to high for him coming into 2022 and thought he was starting to become a bit overrated. Now he has obviously cooled off a bit as other names have emerged like Lawrence. I still think Lawrence has potential to be a top QB but I'm starting to think his 2022 performance might be getting a tad overrated due to what he showed us in college. I'm just purely looking at what I've seen in the NFL and taking emotions out of the equation.

At the end of the day both are obviously fantastic young QBs and you can't go wrong with either.

Who are you taking going forward?

I'd be very happy with either one of them.  Herbert has a slight edge on physical tools, but Lawrence really showed me something from a mental perspective in that Wild Card Game this year.  Being down by 27 points and not giving up or letting it have any effect on his game was something you only see from all-time greats like Brady or Montana.  For that reason, I'd probably prefer Lawrence, but I do think Herbert is going to have a great career, and maybe has a ring or two in his future.

Edited by SodeeWater_Cheezburger

1 hour ago, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

I'd be very happy with either one of them.  Herbert has a slight edge on physical tools, but Lawrence really showed me something from a mental perspective in that Wild Card Game this year.  Being down by 27 points and not giving up or letting it have any effect on his game was something you only see from all-time greats like Brady or Montana.  For that reason, I'd probably prefer Lawrence, but I do think Herbert is going to have a great career, and maybe has a ring or two in his future.

Not even just the wild card game, his rookie season was one of the messiest situations that a top QB prospect has ever had to deal with. The fact that he made a major leap is super encouraging because a lot of guys would've crumbled.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Soggust said:

Lawrence's best year is basically Herbert's worst year, so until Lawrence surpasses him - I'm taking Herbert and it's not really close at this point, imo. 

Lawrence is trending upwards whereas Herbert has declined since his rookie year; look at his passer rating.

31 minutes ago, biggie. said:

Lawrence is trending upwards whereas Herbert has declined since his rookie year; look at his passer rating.

Herbert had the most injured team in the league this year, has the slowest WR room by far, and had the worst OC in the NFL calling plays for him the past 2 years. Not going to pretend like Herbert is flawless, but his statistical regression isn't a case of actual skill regression IMO. If he stays around where he was last season with Moore at OC and (hopefully) actual speed at WR then I'd say he's regressed.

9 minutes ago, HerbertGOAT said:

Herbert had the most injured team in the league this year, has the slowest WR room by far, and had the worst OC in the NFL calling plays for him the past 2 years. Not going to pretend like Herbert is flawless, but his statistical regression isn't a case of actual skill regression IMO. If he stays around where he was last season with Moore at OC and (hopefully) actual speed at WR then I'd say he's regressed.

So you're telling me he needs to be in the perfect situation to be successful?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, biggie. said:

So you're telling me he needs to be in the perfect situation to be successful?

No, but he had one of the least optimized offenses for his skill set the past few years. His OC was the same guy who wanted Calvin Johnson to play like Julian Edelman.

2 hours ago, biggie. said:

And if he manages to trend past Herbert, we move him ahead. No shame. We aren't committed in perpetuity.

But if we don't wait, one might make the argument that Justin Fields is trending upwards while Herbert (according to you) is trending down.

Certainly, we are not taking Fields over Herbert because his peak has not eclipsed Herbert's floor.