If this is who is left at pick 26 who do you choose?

DaBoys

Assuming the other guys are already picked  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick if this was who was left?

• CB Deonte Banks
    • CB Emmanuel Forbes
    • CB Cam Smith
    • CB Kelee Ringo
    • CB Eli Ricks
    • CB Julius Brents
    • RB Bijon Robinson
    • RB Jahmyr Gibbs
    • WR Josh Downs
    • WR Jalin Hyatt
    • OG O’Cyrus Torrence
    • OG Steve Avila
    • DT Mazi Smith
    • DT Siaki Ika

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

Makes sense. To be fair that is how such a player winds up available at 26 at all instead of the 7-15ish range like Poe, Vea, Jordan Davis etc

In any case it would be very Cowboys of us to take our 1st or 2nd ranked TE over our 4th or 5th ranked WR/CB/EDGE. Bijan won’t be there if he’s as good as purported.

It’s early and a lot can change, but as of right now I would think a stud OG would be the one thing to potentially dissuade us from taking Mayer/Kincaid. I bet our team came away from our loss to SF and the KC/PHI Super Bowl thinking one of the main things distinguishing those teams from ours is elite TE play

Great point about the value to the club of a great TE.  Definitely a strong possibility.

18 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I love Mayer but don’t think he’s there at 26. I guess I need to look at Kincaid a bit more. 

I’ve hardly seen either, just parroting what others have said and synthesizing it with my perception of how this team operates 

Even someone like Njoku you’d much rather have than Taco Charlton, for instance. I think in the first round, this FO will take the superior talent a position of lesser need/value over the lower graded guy with more positional value every time going forward

On 3/7/2023 at 4:48 PM, DaBoys said:

I love Mayer but don’t think he’s there at 26. I guess I need to look at Kincaid a bit more. 

What do you love about Mayer? His blocking? He isn’t an elite prospect. We should get better value with our 1st rounder.

Edited by Tony7188

27 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

What do you love about Mayer? His blocking? He isn’t an elite prospect. We should get better value with our 1st rounder.

No he didn’t test like Kyle Pitts but we aren’t picking in the top 10 either. We SHOULD get better value in the first than a TE period but I still love Mayer. Yes his blocking is superb, but he also ran a 4.7 at 6’5” 250. He can move for his size. His hands are excellent. You don’t become Notre Dames all time leader in TD catches from just being a blocking TE. While he may not be a Kyle Pitts or David Njoku athletically he could very well be a Jason Witten or Travis Kelce. In fact Travis Kelces scouting report is near identical to Mayers on NFL.com and the NFL player comp is Jason Witten. I love his production, with 138 catches 1,649 yards and 16 TDs over the last two years. 

Mayer:

Strengths
  • Possesses ideal frame and demeanor to play Y tight end in the NFL.
  • Makes effort to strain and win his run blocks.
  • Meets defender with foot slide to gain positioning.
  • Fits up his run blocks with decent force.
  • Can climb on top of defender’s toes before snapping break off.
  • Maintains his stride speed through route turns.
  • Rarely distracted by route or catch conflict.
  • Sinks suddenly into zone void and presents numbers to his quarterback.
  • Plays big when it’s time to win the contested catch.

Kelce:

Strengths
  • Kelce has an ideal tight end frame
  • Athletic for his size, with great strength, and the ability to stretch the field vertically
  • Very physical run blocker, generates power from the lower half, and will move defenders off the ball
  • Plays with leverage
  • Wide catching radius, can adjust and make the difficult catch
  • Tough to bring down after the catch
  • Light feet, and has lined up in numerous different positions

xi0aD92.gif

michael-mayer-notre-dame.gif

332e9978-17cf-4b9d-ad08-5c0df7dda4fb_728

3b5b9aa5-fb2b-4abb-8fb6-b0d2f633324e_728

3e27a65c-fb81-4aab-be58-6c0534785221_728

Again, we pick 26th not 6th.

PFF has Mayer ranked 28th, CBS has him ranked 22nd, tankathon has him 22nd, Daniel Jeremiah has him 21st, ESPN has him 9th, NFLdraftbuzz has him 13th, sporting news has him 7th, Fox News has him 10th. NFL.com has him 16th. You’re acting like he’s some mid round camp fodder, that would be a reach in the late first round. Every legitimate scouting site has him top 32.  We could do much worse than Michael Mayer. 

5 hours ago, DaBoys said:

No he didn’t test like Kyle Pitts but we aren’t picking in the top 10 either. We SHOULD get better value in the first than a TE period but I still love Mayer. Yes his blocking is superb, but he also ran a 4.7 at 6’5” 250. He can move for his size. His hands are excellent. You don’t become Notre Dames all time leader in TD catches from just being a blocking TE. While he may not be a Kyle Pitts or David Njoku athletically he could very well be a Jason Witten or Travis Kelce. In fact Travis Kelces scouting report is near identical to Mayers on NFL.com and the NFL player comp is Jason Witten. I love his production, with 138 catches 1,649 yards and 16 TDs over the last two years. 

Mayer:

Strengths
  • Possesses ideal frame and demeanor to play Y tight end in the NFL.
  • Makes effort to strain and win his run blocks.
  • Meets defender with foot slide to gain positioning.
  • Fits up his run blocks with decent force.
  • Can climb on top of defender’s toes before snapping break off.
  • Maintains his stride speed through route turns.
  • Rarely distracted by route or catch conflict.
  • Sinks suddenly into zone void and presents numbers to his quarterback.
  • Plays big when it’s time to win the contested catch.

Kelce:

Strengths
  • Kelce has an ideal tight end frame
  • Athletic for his size, with great strength, and the ability to stretch the field vertically
  • Very physical run blocker, generates power from the lower half, and will move defenders off the ball
  • Plays with leverage
  • Wide catching radius, can adjust and make the difficult catch
  • Tough to bring down after the catch
  • Light feet, and has lined up in numerous different positions

xi0aD92.gif

332e9978-17cf-4b9d-ad08-5c0df7dda4fb_728

3b5b9aa5-fb2b-4abb-8fb6-b0d2f633324e_728

3e27a65c-fb81-4aab-be58-6c0534785221_728

Again, we pick 26th not 6th.

PFF has Mayer ranked 28th, CBS has him ranked 22nd, tankathon has him 22nd, Daniel Jeremiah has him 21st, ESPN has him 9th, NFLdraftbuzz has him 13th, sporting news has him 7th, Fox News has him 10th. NFL.com has him 16th. You’re acting like he’s some mid round camp fodder, that would be a reach in the late first round. Every legitimate scouting site has him top 32.  We could do much worse than Michael Mayer. 

I appreciate the digging you do on these prospects.  I can see Dallas going in multiple directions at 26 with TE being a possibility.  I think Dallas may be thinking an elite TE is the missing link on the offense.  Hard to ignore Mayer's production at a big time programme.  I know you have some apprehension about Washington from Georgia but if the team is thinking TE he needs to be in the discussion.  For me it wasn't his 40 time or that acrobatic one hand grab he made at the combine.  It was the ease with which he attacked the blocking sled that opened my eyes.  I thought in him you'll have an athletic pass catching extra OT on the field.  I know I'm falling in love with measurables vs production which is dangerous.  I'll admit he.  Darnell Washington is my man crush in this year's draft.  Scary upside.  Is he worth pick 26?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Northland said:

I appreciate the digging you do on these prospects.  I can see Dallas going in multiple directions at 26 with TE being a possibility.  I think Dallas may be thinking an elite TE is the missing link on the offense.  Hard to ignore Mayer's production at a big time programme.  I know you have some apprehension about Washington from Georgia but if the team is thinking TE he needs to be in the discussion.  For me it wasn't his 40 time or that acrobatic one hand grab he made at the combine.  It was the ease with which he attacked the blocking sled that opened my eyes.  I thought in him you'll have an athletic pass catching extra OT on the field.  I know I'm falling in love with measurables vs production which is dangerous.  I'll admit he.  Darnell Washington is my man crush in this year's draft.  Scary upside.  Is he worth pick 26?

If Washington reaches his potential he is worth 26th. 6'7" 270lb TEs that run a 4.64 don't grown on trees. However he has yet to show he can be a move TE. That's a lot of risk in the 1st round. Round 2? Yes sir. I just think he falls in the funny slot where he isn't quite pick 26 worthy but probably won't be there at pick 58.  Mayer doesn't have the freak tag like Washington, but he has shown 3 seasons worth of being an excellent pass catcher, along with blocking. There's a lot less guess work to do with Mayer. It's easier to project his future because his production is off the charts. Washington has 3 career TDs. It's a little too Al Davis for me to select Washington over Mayer, but I will recognize that he is a freak athlete. 

Edited by DaBoys
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

If Washington reaches his potential he is worth 26th. 6'7" 270lb TEs that run a 4.64 don't grown on trees. However he has yet to show he can be a move TE. That's a lot of risk in the 1st round. Round 2? Yes sir. I just think he falls in the funny slot where he isn't quite pick 26 worthy but probably won't be there at pick 58.  Mayer doesn't have the freak tag like Washington, but he has shown 3 seasons worth of being an excellent pass catcher, along with blocking. There's a lot less guess work to do with Mayer. It's easier to project his future because his production is off the charts. Washington has 3 career TDs. It's a little to Al Davis for me to select Washington over Mayer, but I will recognize that he is a freak athlete. 

Just win baby.  I acknowledge your concerns.  I'll counter with how much of a focal point of the Dogs offense was he asked to be? I don't think anyone knows what they have in Washington. A risk at 26, but as you say he's probably gone before 58.  It's like Mazi Smith.  People will raise concerns about his lack of production or splash plays but fail to realize his role at Michigan was to read and react vs turn it loose and attack.  When he lights it up at his pro day he will creep closer to the first round.

Edited by Northland
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Northland said:

Just win baby.  I acknowledge your concerns.  I'll counter with how much of a focal point of the Dogs offense was he asked to be? I don't think anyone knows what they have in Washington. A risk at 26, but as you say he's probably gone before 58.  It's like Mazi Smith.  People will raise concerns about his lack of production or splash plays but fail to realize his role at Michigan was to read and react vs turn it loose and attack.  When he lights it up at his pro day he will creep closer to the first round.

Darnell Washington gets name dropped immediately. Sounds like just speeding though. 

4 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Say it with me, folks:

Offensive Line. Defensive Line. Early. Often. Annually.

Never opposed to fortifying both lines.  That being said there is an lot of depth in this draft.  I would not be opposed to trading back and getting a few extra picks.

On 3/10/2023 at 8:30 AM, DaBoys said:

You’re acting like he’s some mid round camp fodder, that would be a reach in the late first round. Every legitimate scouting site has him top 32.  We could do much worse than Michael Mayer. 

Jason Witten and Travis Kelce were drafted in the 3rd round (mid rounds), not in the 1st. Sure, in an “after the fact” redraft they would get taken way higher. But there’s a reason why they weren’t drafted that high in their draft class. No one expected them to be Hall of Famers and you can’t really predict it.

Drafting Mayer at 26th overall with the hopes of him being a future HOF TE is bad. Combine that with us having decent depth at the TE position already makes it really bad imo.

If Mayer was available in this scenario, I would still take Bijan over him because he’s BPA, protects our mediocre QB and fills a position of need. 

Edited by Tony7188

7 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

Jason Witten and Travis Kelce were drafted in the 3rd round (mid rounds), not in the 1st. Sure, in an “after the fact” redraft they would get taken way higher. But there’s a reason why they weren’t drafted that high in their draft class. No one expected them to be Hall of Famers and you can’t really predict it.

Drafting Mayer at 26th overall with the hopes of him being a future HOF TE is bad. Combine that with us having decent depth at the TE position already makes it really bad imo.

If Mayer was available in this scenario, I would still take Bijan over him because he’s BPA, protects our mediocre QB and fills a position of need. 

You’re going to say all that and then advocate for a 1st round RB!? 

After everything you and I went through over Ramsey v Zeke you’re joining the dark side!? Come on, Tone. Get it together. 

Mayer is the exact same size and ran the exact same 40 as TJ Hockenson who was drafted 8th overall. I didn’t include Mayer on this list because I don’t even expect him to be there at 26. If he is I hope we draft Torrence or Forbes or Avila or Cam Smith or Hyatt but I won’t cry over Mayer getting picked at 26 because he’s a good player. 

Hock had over 900 yards and 6 TDs this season. One of those TDs was against Dallas.