Ravens place tag on QB Lamar Jackson; Jackson requests trade (Page 52)

RaidersAreOne

Wanting to use the Watson contract as a model isn't dumb but not having an agent is. I wonder if owners think that might be indicative of his ceiling. He's not known as a whiz at reading defenses. If he turns down something like 5 years 240 mil with 135 guaranteed, what's he going to do if Burrow or Herbert sign something similar? 

40 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

will Watson go down as the only nfl  player to get a multi year guaranteed deal of this magnitude?  Maybe the owners stick together on this not that it's proper but it's  business  at their end

it's not of that magnitude I guess, but at the time it kinda was. Cousins got the 3 year $84 million fully guaranteed in 2018. 

40 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

it's not of that magnitude I guess, but at the time it kinda was. Cousins got the 3 year $84 million fully guaranteed in 2018. 

I remembered that was a reach at the time. Now though, we are looking at 5+ years 250M etc.   I can see some 3 year deals but most players take the longer contract now with still a fair amount guaranteed. Browns really opened a wound with all this thoughxD

5 hours ago, 3rivers said:

will Watson go down as the only nfl  player to get a multi year guaranteed deal of this magnitude?  Maybe the owners stick together on this not that it's proper but it's  business  at their end

Probably. I just don't see too many owners being willing or able to shell out 250-300M at the time of signing to get deals like that done.

4 hours ago, 3rivers said:

I remembered that was a reach at the time. Now though, we are looking at 5+ years 250M etc.   I can see some 3 year deals but most players take the longer contract now with still a fair amount guaranteed. Browns really opened a wound with all this thoughxD

Meh. We've seen Daniel Jones, Derek Carr, and Geno Smith get new deals already. And we're likely going to see Hurts, Burrow, and Herbert get extended this offseason on non-fully GTD deals.

5 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I mean this is ridiculous and obvious collusion. Someone needs to send him a vet minimum offer to at least force the Ravens to match. Either that or we’ve all misjudged Lamar’s ability and he is a QB that none of the 31 NFL teams is in the franchise category of giving up 2 1sts for. 

Far more likely is Lamar has stated to teams he is only willing to consider offers in excess of whatever demands he has and everyone is like yea… no thanks. 

Edited by Leoric

3 minutes ago, Leoric said:

I mean this is ridiculous and obvious collusion. Someone needs to send him a vet minimum offer to at least force the Ravens to match. Either that or we’ve all misjudged Lamar’s ability and he is a QB that none of the 31 NFL teams is in the franchise category of giving up 2 1sts for. 

Far more likely is Lamar has stated to teams he is only willing to consider offers in excess of whatever demands he has and everyone is like yea… no thanks. 

I think teams realize that they'd have to make a historic offer to land him because the Ravens have already said that they're willing to match any offer sheet that he signs. So I'm assuming that unless you're willing to give him $300M fully GTD, offering him a contract is pointless. 

Edited by NYRaider
  • Like 1

It's not collusion just because a reporter asking various teams gets the same answer. It's the market in action. It only takes 1 team to want to sign him and swing a tag and trade deal with the Ravens. But there may not be even 1 team that wants to pay the trade price plus the financial price for Lamar. If he'd come back strong at the end of last year, he'd be more in demand.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I think teams realize that they'd have to make a historic offer to land him because the Ravens have already said that they're willing to match any offer sheet that he signs.

See this is where things get stupid with the rules. What’s to prevent a team in their division from sticking it to the Ravens with a crappy contract offer? 

I don’t actually think it’s best for the NFL with all these weird deals. Should just be X year, X amount… maybe an option Year. It’s gotten so crazy convoluted. I wouldn’t mind seeing fully guaranteed deals. 3-4 years at a time, it’s what was originally the signing bonus money was supposed to be. 

Just now, Leoric said:

See this is where things get stupid with the rules. What’s to prevent a team in their division from sticking it to the Ravens with a crappy contract offer? 

I don’t actually think it’s best for the NFL with all these weird deals. Should just be X year, X amount… maybe an option Year. It’s gotten so crazy convoluted. I wouldn’t mind seeing fully guaranteed deals. 3-4 years at a time, it’s what was originally the signing bonus money was supposed to be. 

How could they stick it to the Ravens? Lamar would have to agree to the deal. If it's a terrible contract they can simply not match it and receive two FRPs. 

5 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

It's not collusion just because a reporter asking various teams gets the same answer. It's the market in action. It only takes 1 team to want to sign him and swing a tag and trade deal with the Ravens. But there may not be even 1 team that wants to pay the trade price plus the financial price for Lamar. If he'd come back strong at the end of last year, he'd be more in demand.

If no team is willing to make an offer to Lamar  then I’d want an investigation if I was Lamar. If Lamar is saying hey I’m only accepting offers of gully guaranteed 250m plus contracts than he has his head up his butt 

The tweet is vague. 

Edited by Leoric