Ravens place tag on QB Lamar Jackson; Jackson requests trade (Page 52)

RaidersAreOne

Just now, sparky151 said:

Not an idiot. He made 23 mil last year. That's probably more than his prior 4 years combined. Now he can afford to hold out into this season if he doesn't get an offer he likes. 

Holding out is not going to get him a better offer.

If he wanted to holdout, he should have done it before year 4 when he played for $1.77M.

2 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

This doesn’t reveal all that much. Could be read as 3 years front loaded/ “fully” or mostly guaranteed, with a team escape option in 2026. Not necessarily an amazing deal for Lamar, though solid and obviously nice money. 

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

9 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Holding out is not going to get him a better offer.

If he wanted to holdout, he should have done it before year 4 when he played for $1.77M.

No, he was under contract then. It would mean whopping big fines that exceeded his paycheck. Currently he's not under contract so if he doesn't get an offer he likes, he doesn't sign the tender and isn't subject to fines.

32 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

This doesn’t reveal all that much. Could be read as 3 years front loaded/ “fully” or mostly guaranteed, with a team escape option in 2026. Not necessarily an amazing deal for Lamar, though solid and obviously nice money. 

If he’s the sure-fire, upper echelon QB most of this fan base swears him to be, why would the Ravens be moving off of him 4 seasons from now in 2026? The only reason would be injury, where in that case, he’d still have $175m guaranteed.

Looks a lot like “if you’re still good enough to be around 4 seasons from now, you’ve got $200mil guaranteed coming your way”.

That is a more than solid deal and any Ravens fan who really believes in Lamar long term would agree I would think, seeing as they’d most likely believe he’s on the roster come the 5th day of 2026.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

If he’s the sure-fire, upper echelon QB most of this fan base swears him to be, why would the Ravens be moving off of him 4 seasons from now in 2026? The only reason would be injury, where in that case, he’d still have $175m guaranteed.

Looks a lot like “if you’re still good enough to be around 4 seasons from now, you’ve got $200mil guaranteed coming your way”.

That is a more than solid deal and any Ravens fan who really believes in Lamar long term would agree I would think, seeing as they’d most likely believe he’s on the roster come the 5th day of 2026.

You can have whatever opinion on the fairness of the terms you have but it doesn’t change the fact that he wants a guaranteed deal. 

you need to take your emotions out of it, guy. It’s like you’re scared of being embarrassed by Lamar. Weird players get freak deals. Kirk Cousins was the highest paid player in the league with full guarantees and I bet Washington fans wished they’d been watching him the past few years. Joe Flacco was the highest paid player ever. Kyler Murray got a mega deal and all he does is play video games. Weird things happen, it is what it is. If they want Lamar as the QB for the next 4-5 years they know the deal, it’s kind of as simple as that. Until they decide, every other team has a head start on this offseason and a clearer vision of their team at the draft 

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

I genuinely think the vast majority of the league sees 2 things, 1) A QB not deserving of a 200M+ guaranteed contract who is probably a system QB whose success will cease to exist outside of Baltimore & 2) Watsons contract from Cleveland was idiotic.

Now as far as whether or not you would actually succeed outside of Baltimore. I don't really know the answer to that question. What I am saying is that perhaps the teams that would in theory need a quarterback see him as someone who does not fit the system they run and do noy believe he can succeed within their system. 

14 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

You can have whatever opinion on the fairness of the terms you have but it doesn’t change the fact that he wants a guaranteed deal. 

you need to take your emotions out of it, guy. It’s like you’re scared of being embarrassed by Lamar. Weird players get freak deals. Kirk Cousins was the highest paid player in the league with full guarantees and I bet Washington fans wished they’d been watching him the past few years. Joe Flacco was the highest paid player ever. Kyler Murray got a mega deal and all he does is play video games. Weird things happen, it is what it is. If they want Lamar as the QB for the next 4-5 years they know the deal, it’s kind of as simple as that. 

And that doesn’t change the fact that he’s not getting one.

Nothing about my emotions are impacting that reality.

I’m looking at things totally rationally in line with what the market dictates is Lamar’s value. A vast, vast majority of objective fans outside of Baltimore would agree that the Ravens fans on the “pay lamar whatever he wants, he’s earned it! we are nothing without him” side of things are the emotional party in this situation. Not the ones who are saying Lamar should take what the laws of supply and demand dictate to be a well above reasonable deal for him.

Not getting into a debate with someone who literally said “just make sure to call the owners daddy as you keep licking their bootstraps!!” when I suggested that Lamar wasn’t worth the fully gtd deal he’s asking, and then turns around and tells me i’m being emotional about the situation. lmao

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

I’m looking at things totally rationally in line with what the market dictates is Lamar’s value. A vast, vast majority of objective fans outside of Baltimore would agree that the Ravens fans on the “pay lamar whatever he wants, he’s earned it! we are nothing without him” side of things are the emotional party in this situation. Not the ones who are saying Lamar should take what the laws of supply and demand dictate to be a well above reasonable deal for him.

To further this and piggy back off of my own comments above, Deshaun Watson was paid like something he isn't, an elite QB. The contract he got is not the new norm and i think the deals Carr, Jimmy G, Daniel Jones, & Geno Smith received illustrate that. 

How much better than those guys is Lamar? Thats debateable based on the corner of the arguement youre choosing to stand in. I think he falls somewhere in the world of Derek Carr & Jimmy G tbh and I personally wouldn't be guaranteeing $175M for that.

• Like 1

What's pretty disgusting about this situation and no one is really talking about is the NFLPA involvement and agenda they have. I feel like they are giving Lamar trash advice and trying to push this fully guaranteed contract even if they have to sacrifice Lamar. He's already lost 14 mil getting the non exclusive tag. This is some foul **** imo. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

I’m looking at things totally rationally in line with what the market dictates is Lamar’s value. A vast, vast majority of objective fans outside of Baltimore would agree that the Ravens fans on the “pay lamar whatever he wants, he’s earned it! we are nothing without him” side of things are the emotional party in this situation. Not the ones who are saying Lamar should take what the laws of supply and demand dictate.

I don’t know why you need to misrepresent what people are saying. No one is saying the team Is all Lamar. We are saying the AFC is loaded and while we are arguing numbers the other teams are loading up. The Ravens franchise is bigger than Lamar, which is why one 5 year guaranteed deal shouldn’t be so scary. Is the team really so scared of 1-2 years of diminishing returns to just change quarterbacks when they are winning 10-11 games a year in a brutal conference? I watched Flacco stink for 6-7 years, a couple years of dad bod Lamar really doesn’t scare me if it means they keep taking cracks while they’re making playoffs.

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

19 minutes ago, 4thandInches said:

What's pretty disgusting about this situation and no one is really talking about is the NFLPA involvement and agenda they have. I feel like they are giving Lamar trash advice and trying to push this fully guaranteed contract even if they have to sacrifice Lamar. He's already lost 14 mil getting the non exclusive tag. This is some foul **** imo. 

He wasn't going to get the exclusive tag. Baltimore has had a couple of years of exclusivity and it didn't lead anywhere. They are trying to get him to see the grass may not be greener on the other side of the fence. Perhaps they've miscalculated but so far it doesn't look like it.

Florio at PFT made the point that if Lamar had an agent, he probably could have had a similar deal to Josh Allen's 2 years ago when he was first eligible for an extension. Josh Allen has made 40 mil more than Lamar the last 2 years and it doesn't look like LJ is going to catch up any time soon. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

How much better than those guys is Lamar? Thats debateable based on the corner of the arguement youre choosing to stand in. I think he falls somewhere in the world of Derek Carr & Jimmy G tbh and I personally wouldn't be guaranteeing $175M for that.

52 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

who is probably a system QB 

That's just a bad evaluation, which of course you are welcome to believe.