Giants extend QB Daniel Jones (4 years, $160M), place franchise tag on RB Saquon Barkley

RaidersAreOne

“That said, it’s basically a three-year, $112.5 million contract, given that the $47.5 million due in 2026 is not guaranteed. That’s an average of $37.5 million.

The Giants also could escape the deal after two years, with $82 million paid.”

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Three years $112 still seems steep. I wonder what the cap hits in years 2 and 3 are. 

overthecap already has the breakdown up.

https://overthecap.com/player/daniel-jones/7797

Cap hit in year 2 is the big one. $45 million. Year 3 is $39.5 million. The Giants can get out after year 2 with an $18 million dead cap hit and $21 million in savings. After year 3, they can get out no problem.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

overthecap already has the breakdown up.

https://overthecap.com/player/daniel-jones/7797

Cap hit in year 2 is the big one. $45 million. Year 3 is $39.5 million. The Giants can get out after year 2 with an $18 million dead cap hit and $21 million in savings. After year 3, they can get out no problem.

Yeah I saw Year 4 had nothing guaranteed. Smart. Saved Commanders from further disaster on Wentz.

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

A little less team friendly than I was expecting tbh

I kinda agree. Team Friendly Year 1 and then obviously 4, but 2 and 3 seem a little brutal. I haven't dug into the link for OTC that @minutemancl sent, but keeping Barkley after this year might be tough. Is Leonard Williams off the books then? I think they gotta pay Andrew Thomas though. 

Just now, MikeT14 said:

I kinda agree. Team Friendly Year 1 and then obviously 4, but 2 and 3 seem a little brutal. I haven't dug into the link for OTC that @minutemancl sent, but keeping Barkley after this year might be tough. Is Leonard Williams off the books then? I think they gotta pay Andrew Thomas though. 

Yeah, Year 4 carries that measly $9M cap hit, which is light. That’s what you expect out of most contracts these days (NY did well not to include void years out the gate). Year 1’s got that lowish hit too. 

Year 2’s obviously expensive, which is surprising, but what stood out to me is that Year 3 has $30M GTD for injury and $12M that guarantees in March of the offseason. So even if all goes accordingly, that’s still $18M in dead cap, which isn’t the end of the world (they’d be saving about $20M altogether), but still. I thought with an AAV like that that the Giants would get their terms across the board. 

Williams comes off the books in 2024 but carries a $6M hit in 2024, void. Not really sure if they’re looking to extend him or not. Saquon’s going to get a chunk of change, especially if he doesn’t sign the deal. And yeah, Thomas has $10M and $14M hits the next two seasons, which could be temporarily lightened up by an extension (with the figures down the road getting boosted, obviously). Lawrence is up for a payday after this year too.

Luckily(?) for NYG, they don’t really have a ton of guys to pay after that.  

6 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Andrew Thomas has the 5th year option in 24, so his new deal won’t take affect until 25. Leonard’s final year is this year currently.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

If you had to determine a winner, it is pretty clearly Daniel Jones and his agent. I don't think it is by a ton, but it is definitely obvious.

Keeping Barkley won't be a problem. If he signs the deal on the table, it is thought to be for 3 years. If he doesn't, the franchise tag is only ~$10 million. We can, and probably should, tag him again in 2024 if he doesn't sign.

An extension is surely coming for Leonard Williams. He's publicly expressed interest in staying and playing next to Dexy. An extension that pays him similarly to Grady Jarrett is possible/likely and would lower his massive $32 million cap hit this year. The ball is in Saquon's court, so the next and current order of business for Schoen is a long term deal with Dexter Lawrence, which he is working on now. That would lower Dexy's 2023 5th year option cap hit and give us a lot of flexibility, while locking up one of the best young defensive players in the league (importantly, before Quinnen Williams is able to sign his new deal).

We don't have to pay Andrew Thomas for another 3 years. He's on his rookie deal still in 2023, then the 5th year option in 2024. So yes, we definitely do have to, and will, pay him, his real money won't kick in until 2026 (2023 rookie deal, 2024 5th year option, new deal year 1 in 2025 which notoriously always have low cap hits, then big cap hit from him starts the following year).

Schoen purposely bit the bullet last year in terms of cap health in order to make it so we are in great shape going forward starting this offseason and we can sign all of our important guys. It's why we had to bargain shop and only signed 1 free agent to any real money. We were scrounging to find any players who could play and would play for nothing just to field a LB unit.

• Like 2