Giants extend QB Daniel Jones (4 years, $160M), place franchise tag on RB Saquon Barkley

RaidersAreOne

25 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

So let me get this right. The giants just paid forty million dollars a year to a quarterback to that threw 15 TDs? I mean that is certainly a choice

Sure... if you choose to ignore the 700 yards and 7 TDs on the ground...yes they sure did pay 40M to a guy who only threw 15 TD's to practice squad receivers.

12 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Sure... if you choose to ignore the 700 yards and 7 TDs on the ground...yes they sure did pay 40M to a guy who only threw 15 TD's to practice squad receivers.

Nah, I'm definitely not ignoring that. I am not saying they made a bad decision just didnt realize his passing stats were that low. But you aren't wrong, that receiver room is trash.

Daniel Jones is a really good locker room/film guy from what I understand. My hunch is that the FO office/coaching staff thinks they have another Josh Allen on their hands once they can get their Diggs/year of development. My personal experience is that QBs generally develop despite the circumstances more so than circumstances developing the QB so this deal is a pass for me but I understand the rational behind it.

43 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

So let me get this right. The giants just paid forty million dollars a year to a quarterback to that threw 15 TDs? I mean that is certainly a choice

Yeah like Shock pointed out, those rushing stats are important to include as well. But it's also important to note that the Giants expect DJ to improve; this is very much paying him for what he will (they hope) do and not what he has done.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Yeah like Shock pointed out, those rushing stats are important to include as well. But it's also important to note that the Giants expect DJ to improve; this is very much paying him for what he will (they hope) do and not what he has done.

I honestly like the deal though for both parties I think it was a smart move. If they can get barkley back on a long term deal this is a complete win

4 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Daniel Jones is a really good locker room/film guy from what I understand. My hunch is that the FO office/coaching staff thinks they have another Josh Allen on their hands once they can get their Diggs/year of development. My personal experience is that QBs generally develop despite the circumstances more so than circumstances developing the QB so this deal is a pass for me but I understand the rational behind it.

I'm not sure about that. Coaching overall has been awful prior to this year in DJ's career, combined with 0 stability. We saw what good coaching could do this year, even in the first year of a system and with little talent around him. Let's see what he can do next year with some stability and hopefully more talent.

I will die gloriously on the "I like Daniel Jones" hill. Is this contract a bit steep? Yes. Is this the going rate for 2nd tier, ascending, young QBs? Unfortunately so.

Since he was drafted, Jones has always looked good to me. He's accurate, throws with good anticipation, can work off script, and is one of the better rushing threats in the league at QB. He's one of those guys who hasn't yet been giving the supporting cast needed to succeed as a young QB. His line and receivers has sucked for the better part of his career. Only last year have we started to see improvement with premium additions made to the OL and the insertion of Brian Daboll.

If the Daboll trajectory/development continues and the Gmen improve their receiving core, I think we see Daniel Jones start to make waves as a borderline top 10 QB. I don't think this contract is laughable a year from now.

Edited by SmittyBacall
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I'm not sure about that. Coaching overall has been awful prior to this year in DJ's career, combined with 0 stability. We saw what good coaching could do this year, even in the first year of a system and with little talent around him. Let's see what he can do next year with some stability and hopefully more talent.

Oh I'm rooting for that too. I'm always cheering for more good QB play, not less. I'm just not sold on the idea that truly top end talent is hidden by bad coaching/rosters (within reason).

45 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Imagine two years ago, the thought that Daniel Jones would get the contract extension before Saquon Barkley, would get you laughed at. 

Not all that far fetched of a thought...I mean two years ago Barkley played 2 games and went down with an ACL. Was no guarantees he would ever make it back to his old self.

After that 2020 season I honestly didn't expect either to be here in 2023. And yet here we are lol. In Daboll I trust.

Edited by Shockwave

1 hour ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Oh I'm rooting for that too. I'm always cheering for more good QB play, not less. I'm just not sold on the idea that truly top end talent is hidden by bad coaching/rosters (within reason).

I would agree with that. I think it'd be wrong to call Daniel Jones "top end talent" though. He's not Mahomes/Allen/Burrow/Herbert. He's clearly, at best, in that next tier. I think great coaching, like he had last year and will have this year, has the potential to get him positioned securely in that next tier.