Giants extend QB Daniel Jones (4 years, $160M), place franchise tag on RB Saquon Barkley

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

Schefter did retweet it. 

Yup, it's confirmed by another Giants beat writer who I trust. Guaranteed money is $82 million, all paid out over the first 2 years. 2 consecutive franchise tags would be about $72 million, so this isn't far off from that. That extra $10 million buys tons of cap flexibility that you don't get with players on big tags.

Obviously, if you don't like Jones, you don't like any team signing him for any serious amount of money. But this is a good deal for the Giants. I expected the guaranteed # to be low after seeing the $40 million AAV, but that is the trade off in negotiations, and Jones apparently really wanted that number "to begin with a 4".

• Like 3

1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

Geno: 1 year, $40 mill

Carr: 2 years, $70 mill

DJ: 2 years, $82 mill

There's your mid tier of QBs. It may not seem like mid-tier right now, but wait until Herbert/Lamar/Burrow get paid.

And Hurts. LMAO

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

EDIT: Seems like maybe $82 million guaranteed, and that is all in the first 2 years? So no guaranteed money after year 2?

Depends how it’s structured. Guaranteed money comes in different terms and is spread out differently depending on how it’s specified.

15 minutes ago, Danger said:

And Hurts. LMAO

Forgot about him. Yeah, Hurts too. Wait until all those guys get paid. Carr/Geno/DJ will be making chump change.

10 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Depends how it’s structured. Guaranteed money comes in different terms and is spread out differently depending on how it’s specified.

Yeah you're right. The numbers reported so far are $82 million guaranteed, but Rap said "$94 million virtually guaranteed". So I'd guess there's $12 million in guarantees after year 2, probably spread throughout the final 2 years of the deal? So a dead cap hit of close to $12 million if he is cut after year 2? I don't know; I'm not even sure if we have enough information yet to make those determinations. Or maybe we do and I'm too dumb to figure it out.

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Forgot about him. Yeah, Hurts too. Wait until all those guys get paid. Carr/Geno/DJ will be making chump change.

Doesn't change that y'all paid ~18% your total salary cap to a just a guy QB.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Yeah you're right. The numbers reported so far are $82 million guaranteed, but Rap said "$94 million virtually guaranteed". So I'd guess there's $12 million in guarantees after year 2, probably spread throughout the final 2 years of the deal? So a dead cap hit of close to $12 million if he is cut after year 2? I don't know; I'm not even sure if we have enough information yet to make those determinations. Or maybe we do and I'm too dumb to figure it out.

I’m not 100% sure either, I don’t have a great understanding of that. We definitely don’t have enough info as of now.

Money can be GTD up front, like through signing bonus, but that figure will be spread out throughout the deal. There could also be GTD money that becomes effective on the third day of the following league year, for example. Tons of different ways it can be structured, hard to really know for now. 

The fact that he got that AAV (which was higher than I think most people would’ve expected/he actually deserved/had the leverage to get), would lead me to assume that it’s relatively team friendly, like Carr’s.

Edited by Yin-Yang

48 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

^ This right here is why signing him long term had to happen. Need that extra cap flexibility to get him some weapons. The cap is expected to explode over the next few seasons so 40-50 million AAV won't seem so stifling like the 32M would have been for this year. I was a big advocate for tagging him but once I saw how much the cap is going up by 2025 I knew signing him was the better move. It's an overpay don't get me wrong I felt 35-38 was his value but to squabble over a couple million is pointless. Daboll believes in him and I believe in Daboll. 

• Like 1