Dolphins pick up QB Tua Tagovailoa's 5th year option

RaidersAreOne

7 hours ago, sparky151 said:

He's a bit like a champion boxer who is past his prime, willing to take the hits for more paydays because he knows once he steps out of the ring/off the field, the glory is over and the money dries up. 

1 minute ago, y*so*blu said:

He needs to stop playing for the sake of his long-term health.

I could see him playing just this year for the big money from the option, then retiring. It's all a risk no matter what.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2023 at 3:41 PM, NYRaider said:

I remember reading reports that their front office wanted Herbert but their owner was all in on Tua because he viewed him as a left handed Drew Brees.

When he's on, he looks like Brees, but obviously doesn't have anywhere near the consistency of Brees.

He has a lot of potential, though. 

Edited by WizeGuy

On 3/10/2023 at 8:44 PM, SWATcha said:

He looked great last year until he got his brains scrambled....

What happens if he sustains another concussion next year? Let's say, within the first 8 games. Career ending?

You won't get a really good answer here. I doubt anyone here is a neurologist. As a layman, any more concussions would not be good, obviously, especially if he has multiple in a short period of time.

That being said, a lot of football players play through multiple concussions in their careers. I'm pretty sure the Bills center Mitch Morse has had a bunch of them.

So, it'd be completely up to him if he wants to continue his career if he sustains another concussion. Risky, but he wouldn't be the first player to put glory and money over personal health.

On 3/10/2023 at 6:44 PM, SWATcha said:

He looked great last year until he got his brains scrambled....

What happens if he sustains another concussion next year? Let's say, within the first 8 games. Career ending?

I'm too lazy to look it up to find it, but one of the more famous neurologists basically said:

1. Tua didn't have any concussion issues prior to 2022, so it's not particularly accurate to say that he's concussion prone.  He largely blamed the recurring issues last year due to the failure to let Tua properly heal from the first one.  This isn't a Jahvid Best situation, where the player had multiple concussions throughout his HS and college career as well.  

2.  If Tua were to suffer another concussion, the symptoms would have to be monitored closely, but even then it wouldn't prevent him from being able to fully recover and continue playing.  The big issue would be if Tua actually IS concussion prone, and would conceivably suffer another one in the same season again, or wouldn't be able to recover quickly enough from the new one.  That's when the neurologist said he should consider hanging them up, as Best had to.

3.  He pointed out Sidney Crosby specifically as a pro athlete in a physical sport that had multiple concussions early in his career in a short period of time (I believe 3 as well), went several years without one, had multiple concussions again, but didn't have his career derailed and is still playing 6 years later.   He also pointed out Eric Lindross as a cautionary tale of a pro athlete that had 6 IN ONLY 16 MONTHS, and how he was never the same (largely from not being allowed to recover properly).  

4.  He said the same thing about Kenny Pickett, who sustained 2 concussions this past year within 2 months, but wasn't really even discussed by the media.  Pickett also had no concussion history prior to 2022. 

Essentially, it's a wait and see.  

52 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

I'm too lazy to look it up to find it, but one of the more famous neurologists basically said:

1. Tua didn't have any concussion issues prior to 2022, so it's not particularly accurate to say that he's concussion prone.  He largely blamed the recurring issues last year due to the failure to let Tua properly heal from the first one.  This isn't a Jahvid Best situation, where the player had multiple concussions throughout his HS and college career as well.  

2.  If Tua were to suffer another concussion, the symptoms would have to be monitored closely, but even then it wouldn't prevent him from being able to fully recover and continue playing.  The big issue would be if Tua actually IS concussion prone, and would conceivably suffer another one in the same season again, or wouldn't be able to recover quickly enough from the new one.  That's when the neurologist said he should consider hanging them up, as Best had to.

3.  He pointed out Sidney Crosby specifically as a pro athlete in a physical sport that had multiple concussions early in his career in a short period of time (I believe 3 as well), went several years without one, had multiple concussions again, but didn't have his career derailed and is still playing 6 years later.   He also pointed out Eric Lindross as a cautionary tale of a pro athlete that had 6 IN ONLY 16 MONTHS, and how he was never the same (largely from not being allowed to recover properly).  

4.  He said the same thing about Kenny Pickett, who sustained 2 concussions this past year within 2 months, but wasn't really even discussed by the media.  Pickett also had no concussion history prior to 2022. 

Essentially, it's a wait and see.  

I'm hoping for the best myself and obviously want to see Tua remain healthy and succeed in this league, but...

1. While he may not have been "concussion prone" prior to last season, saying that he is now is definitely accurate - there's a mountain of evidence correlating the risk of suffering a concussion with the number of concussions previously sustained, especially when those concussions occurred within a short span. And while it's definitely not a "Jahvid Best situation", I think I speak for most fans saying I sincerely hope we/he won't let it come anywhere close to that.

2. Well, the bigger issue is that since he now has a concussion history, clearing the concussion protocol may take weeks (doubly so due to the media attention surrounding Tua's situation specifically). It took him over 5 weeks to clear the protocol after his latest concussion suffered in Week 16, and while he may be able to clear it a bit faster than that after an offseason of rest, at minimum I'd imagine he'd be out at least a month even for an extremely mild concussion. From a football perspective, this is obviously a liability, and will continue to be for the rest of his career.

3. It's a health risk for him no matter how you look at it. I believe its his decision to make ultimately, so I support him. I sincerely hope the Jiu-Jitsu classes he's reportedly taking this offseason will help him reduce the risk a bit.

4. While I would definitely be concerned if I were a Steelers fan for Pickett, the situations are obviously pretty different - two months between concussions is way more than four days between Tua's first two concussions, and most pressingly, Pickett's were no where near as severe as the scary incident that sent Tua to the hospital against the Bengals. As I said, there's definitely reasons to be concerned for Pickett, but frankly, it highlights just how risky Tua continuing his career actually may prove to be.

I'm rooting for him.