The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Is there 1 arm in the BP you trust right now if we have a 2 run lead?

I'm hard pressed to find one...

The problem with being able to trust anyone in our bullpen is that they would have to be situation proof. Because I dont trust the manager to ever put these guys into the best position for success to start with

What would you guys think to easing Alex Reyes into the closer role next year? 

Personally, I think he would do well there and it also allows the Cardinals to not over extend him by using for 50-60 innings max. (Although Matheny would probably use him like he does Bowman)

4 hours ago, yoinesh123 said:

Personally, I think he would do well there and it also allows the Cardinals to not over extend him by using for 50-60 innings max. (Although Matheny would probably use him like he does Bowman)

Honestly, I think Michael Wacha is the best on roster choice for the closer role next year....

11 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Honestly, I think Michael Wacha is the best on roster choice for the closer role next year....

I totally forgot about that. I was talking with a friend during Michael's bad stretch and we both agreed that he will usually get the Lineup out the first time through. I'm actually more on board with this than Reyes. If we do move Wacha to the pen, Do we resign Lynn or let the young guys play? I really hope Lynn resigns

7 hours ago, yoinesh123 said:

I'd imagine they'd want him to get more innings than just 60.  IF he doesn't eclipse that 100 IP mark next year, I honestly think he's not going to be a SP.  Hell, you might even want him to be close to 120 to 140 IP.  That being said, I'm not opposed to starting the year with him in the rotation and then move him into the bullpen to minimize the innings.

3 hours ago, yoinesh123 said:

I totally forgot about that. I was talking with a friend during Michael's bad stretch and we both agreed that he will usually get the Lineup out the first time through. I'm actually more on board with this than Reyes. If we do move Wacha to the pen, Do we resign Lynn or let the young guys play? I really hope Lynn resigns

If you move Wacha to the bullpen, I think you almost move into a situation where you have to re-sign Lance Lynn.  Really the only guys you can trust to give you 200 IP or anywhere close to that is Carlos Martinez, Adam Wainwright, and Mike Leake.  And if the Waino arm issues are serious, you may not get that many innings out of him.

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I wish I could say I'm surprised.  That's TJS, which means he's probably out for next year as well.  Easy decision to non-tender him now.

That's what really stings. We may have seen the last of him in a Cards uniform. I'd hope he'd be open to what Greg Holland did though...

11 hours ago, yoinesh123 said:

Which one lol?

If we did move Wacha to the BP, you'd be left with Martinez and Leake as the two pieces you could pencil in for 180+ innings next year (assuming they stayed healthy). Wainwright likely could be added to this, but we need to see what his injury turns out to be and if his down hill trend continues to worsen...

Realistically, we could be looking to fill anywhere from 1-3 rotation spots this off-season depending on how things shake out. Reyes and Weaver seemingly would be ready to fill 2 openings, but would likely be on an innings cap at some point...

I'm still hesitant that we'll look to re-sign Lance Lynn. Just don't think we're going to be willing to go 5 years and $110+ million, but could be totally wrong on that. Either way I think we're going to add a piece to the rotation whether it's re-signing Lynn, or bringing in someone via trade or FA (Alex Cobb?)...

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?