The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

A bad ending to an overall very good season. Sucks that we got blown out in the NLCS but honestly I'm not even that mad/upset about it. I really am curious to see how they tweak this roster. What are the plan with Ozuna, Fowler and Carpenter? Does Carlos begin next season as the teams Closer? 

Who do you guys hope they target in free agency? 

They need to spend money this offseason especially if they don’t bring back Ozuna. It frightens me to see this outfield without him. Who the hell would play? O’Neal, Bader, and Fowler? 3 of the worst hitters in baseball. At least one of Fowler or Carpenter needs to be gone. Carp would be kept around but he’d definitely be taking a backseat to Edman or hopefully we bring in someone at 3B and put Edman in RF. As far as the rotation, you can pretty much guarantee at least 3 right now in Mikolas, Flaherty, and Hudson. Who knows what happens with Martinez and possibly Helsley. Helsley was dominant in the postseason. Do you stretch him back out or is he just bullpen guy? I think bullpen. I have no confidence in Reyes ever being much more than a bullpen arm if he ever gets and stays healthy. Does Gomber compete for a spot in the rotation? Do we bring back Waino for one more season?  Highly doubt this team targets any big FAs especially Cole or Rendon sadly but it would be nice to add an outfielder who doesn’t suck(especially if Ozuna doesn’t return), a 3B, and a SP. They basically did nothing at the trade deadline because they thought the team was “good enough” so I highly doubt they do much in FA. Getting swept by a team who historically they’ve dominated should leave a bad taste in everyone’s mouth. Mo and his lackey need to do everything they can to improve this roster.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

A bad ending to an overall very good season. Sucks that we got blown out in the NLCS but honestly I'm not even that mad/upset about it. I really am curious to see how they tweak this roster. What are the plan with Ozuna, Fowler and Carpenter? Does Carlos begin next season as the teams Closer? 

Who do you guys hope they target in free agency? 

The Cardinals committed ~$170M in payroll this past season.  Right now, we're already at $121M between 11 players and that doesn't even include arbitration raises.  Fortunately, John Gant and Dominic Leone are projected to earn a combined $3M between the two of them.  Add on some minimum salaries and our payroll is probably closer to ~$135M right there.  That's really only ~$35M to play with, which isn't a ton of flexibility.  We really need to unload Dexter Fowler.  Would be nice to have not given Matt Carpenter that extension...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The Cardinals committed ~$170M in payroll this past season.  Right now, we're already at $121M between 11 players and that doesn't even include arbitration raises.  Fortunately, John Gant and Dominic Leone are projected to earn a combined $3M between the two of them.  Add on some minimum salaries and our payroll is probably closer to ~$135M right there.  That's really only ~$35M to play with, which isn't a ton of flexibility.  We really need to unload Dexter Fowler.  Would be nice to have not given Matt Carpenter that extension...

We have more money available to use, we arent cash strapped. The question is; will they go above that after the few bad contracts anchoring us down?

Just now, StLunatic88 said:

We have more money available to use, we arent cash strapped. The question is; will they go above that after the few bad contracts anchoring us down?

We're not cash strapped, but this isn't an endless supply flow.  According to Spotrac, the Cardinals finished with the 6th highest payroll in baseball.  They actually had us listed at $175M when you look at overall team payrolls.  Figure that seems to be the range we're looking at.  We're not spending anywhere near the luxury tax.

My #1 priority if I'm Mo is to unload Fowler any way possible. I'd start trading from the glut of OF players we have. O'Neil, Bader, Randy, and Martinez could all move. Only one of Bader and Randy need to be here. I'd be looking to start Carlson as one of my COF next year. I'd give Ozuna the QO. If he walks, cool. If he takes it, cool. I'd re-sign Waino. I'd stretch out Helsley and let him compete for a spot. I'd look at maybe trying to move Dakota Hudson for some legit players. I'd try to stretch out Carlos. I'd try to make Carpenter a super-sub. I'd maybe see what we could get for Wong.

Just now, CWood21 said:

We're not cash strapped, but this isn't an endless supply flow.  According to Spotrac, the Cardinals finished with the 6th highest payroll in baseball.  They actually had us listed at $175M when you look at overall team payrolls.  Figure that seems to be the range we're looking at.  We're not spending anywhere near the luxury tax.

On average, yes the $160-$180m range is where we will sit at as a franchise. But with the new regional TV deal kicked in, they have plenty of money to bite the bullet, look at the 2 sunk cost contracts we have (Fowler and Carpenter) and say, we will push that up to the $190+ range for a year or two till we get out of those. 

After next year we shed almost $40m in current contracts (Yadi, Miller, Cecil) and the year after that we finally clear Carps extension (very unlikely to vest) and Fowler for another $35m. And on top of those two, we can get out of Carlos' deal if he is still not living up to his value in 2 years (about $12m more)

If they are really trying to win, they could plan it out, give an extra $15m to 2020, while lowering their plans by $5m or so the next couple of years to make up for it.

(this is the exact situation that people complain about DeWitt, lets see if he continues to disappoint)