The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

2 minutes ago, tttmikeb said:

I'm not anti-Longoria, but I'm skeptical how much he has left and how much of an impact he'd have.  He's not bad, and he could bounce back.  I guess it just comes down to cost and is it worth it.

I think if it's part of a package deal (Archer and/or Colome)  adding in Longoria helps off-set some of the prospect cost it would take to get those guys. That in itself has value to me...

I still think he's a productive bat, he's just not the game changer he used to be. At 32, he's likely got 2-3 more good years before a drop off. Plus, getting him off the turf of TB should only help him. He's also the type of player that literally plays everyday and is a stong clubhouse guy/.leader type which is hard to put a true value on...

He's not the best 3B option out there by far, but he's still a legit MLB player on both sides of the diamond. His deal isn't terrible (not great either), but if it helped us get some of the other pieces and not have to return as much I think it makes sense...

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

So if we do end up getting Machado(I hope not unless there’s a deal) and then trade for Longoria.... Where does DeJong play?

Second? That's my guess.

I'm not too keen on going after Machado. We'd have to give up too much for an almost guaranteed 1 year. He's got Yankees written all over him.

1 hour ago, ttitansfan4life said:

So if we do end up getting Machado(I hope not unless there’s a deal) and then trade for Longoria.... Where does DeJong play?

A) We arent getting Machado this offseason, I think anyone hoping otherwise is just going to be disappointed. It would cost too much in prospects, and he isnt going to negotiate a long term deal till Free Agency. Our only real hope with him is if the O's continue to hang onto him, and then mid season they move him for a playoff run.

B) I do think that DeJong is going to end up being the player that we all hoped Matt Carpenter was. He can play at many positions at a high level defensively, and his bat can be a real impact (not just an on base machine)

2 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

We wouldn't be trading for both. It would either be bringing in Longoria as part of a package deal w/ the Rays, or we trade for Machado and then sign a closer via FA. It's an either/or...

In either case DeJong plays on the L side of the infield:

SS machado, 3B dejong

or 

SS dejong, 3B longoria

Sounds like Giants and rays are heating up on a Longoria deal...

28 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

We wouldn't be trading for both. It would either be bringing in Longoria as part of a package deal w/ the Rays, or we trade for Machado and then sign a closer via FA. It's an either/or...

SS machado, 3B dejong

or 

SS dejong, 3B longoria

The Rays would really have to be desperate to give the Giants Longo. They'd most likely have to take Span or Pence's contract. The Giants need a hard rebuild. Ditch all those crap contracts and start again.

42 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

ehhh, the Giants have been "heating up" on just about everyone out there at this point. (without a whole lot to offer) Im not overly worried anything the Giants are supposedly involved in

Which is exactly why you should be lol. Since they've swung and missed on everyone else this off-season lol...

No but seriously, like @MOSteelers56 eluded too, unless they can convince Rays to take Pence or Span, it's not happening...

7 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Ive been saying, we are trying to land the bigger fish at 3B (or SS in Machado's case) and when those break down we will shift the Rays talk into gear.

I actually would imagine we already have a deal for just Colome on the table. Another framework of Colome + Longoria, and then some exploratory talks about what it would take to add Archer or Odorizzi into those deals. I know Longoria doesnt really tickle the fancy of many around here, but I think he would become an impact player for this team. It would be a legit answer at 3B (instead of hoping Jedd has another career type year) and I also think it is more likely that we would see something closer to '16 Longoria than not, being inserted to a much more capable lineup (now with Ozuna) than the middling Rays order.

Trust me, I would rather have Luke Donaldson (as I think we would have a high likelihood of resigning him if he gets here for the year) but it doesnt seem like the Jays are ready to play ball, which I just dont understand with how far behind the Redsox and especially the Yankees they are. And I still say that Machado was always a pipe dream, and he wont be moved for anything near the asking price that the O's have. (they would be lucky to get half of what they seem to be asking from us for just one year of Machado who is already eyeing up Free Agency)

Honestly, I don't think the Cardinals have much if any interest in Odorizzi with the signing of Miles Mikolas.  If they're going to bring in another SP, it's going to be someone whose going to significantly improve the Cardinals' rotation.  Not just give them another meh option.

And it's Josh Donaldson. :wink:

6 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

We're not landing Machado, so we might as well let that dream die.  But he'd presumably play second in that case.

3 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

SS machado, 3B dejong

or 

SS dejong, 3B longoria

Giants need to shed salary if they're going to acquire Longoria, which has to be a non-starter for the Rays.  Bob Nightengale pretty much already said that the Giants would need the Rays to take on Denard Span or Hunter Pence, which isn't happening.

Let me preface this by saying that I think the chances that the Cardinals acquiring Chris Archer are less than 1%.

I was sitting in my car thinking about what an Archer, Colome, and Longoria package would cost.  Needless to say, it's going to cost a fortune.  The Rays would likely ask for Alex Reyes or Luke Weaver to start their offer, and probably work from there.  But like I've mentioned, I think the odds of the Cardinals offering up either are unlikely.  They're not going to offer up Reyes when his value is arguably at an all-time low.  And obviously, I think the Cardinals would prefer to hang onto Luke Weaver but I don't think it's a deal breaker.  But what if the Cardinals were willing to offer up another SP with MLB success?  Michael Wacha.  Obviously, given his increasing salary and his injury history he's probably not got as much value as Weaver.  But would the Rays be interested?  Probably not.  That's where a 3rd team could come in.  You could make an argument that he's more valuable than any SP available, even if he doesn't have the track record that others do.  Needless to say, there probably isn't going to be a shortage of suitors.

Cardinals Get: RHP Chris Archer, CL Alex Colome, 3B Evan Longoria
Rays Get: C Carson Kelly, RHP Jack Flaherty, OF Tyler O'Neill, Prospects
Team 3 Gets: SP Michael Wacha

Probably a bit out there.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?